Severe pains from left ovary - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe pains from left ovary Severe pains from left ovary

Unread 05-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Severe pains from left ovary

Dear ((SHelley))

THanks for the kind thoughts and hugs.

IT is discouraging, especially since my left ovary seemed to behave OK before the surgery. It was nice that the on-call doctor was sympathetic to that part of the issue.... she had been on-call when I had to go into the hospital a couple months ago when I had the 300cc of blood sloshing around in there from the surgery the week before... so it was good to see a familiar face and someone who at least remembered some of my history. She is also really concerned about adequate pain control so that was helpful..

s to you ((shelley)).

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2004, 02:24 PM

Hey Sarah, sorry to hear you went through such pain....glad you're feeling a wee bit better now! I had multiple cysts rupture prior to my hyst and it was always a "drop you to your knees" kinda pain that sometimes came and went and sometimes went on for days and you couldn't stand up straight.....either way I was always left with alot of pain which the doc blamed on "toxins" from the cyst sorta free floating in the pelvic area.....sounds luvly doesn't it?

When they did my hyst I had a 6cm cyst on one ovary and 2cm cyst in the other tube.....no wonder I was in so much pain, by then it was a monthly thing for me.....so it could definitely be whats causing your pain....having said that, it's also possible that one of these cysts has attached itself to your pelvic wall and that's making matters worse......anyone suggest doing a diagnostic laparoscopy? No one wants another procedure but if it might take a simple little "snip" to make this pain go away it might be worth considering.....just a thought!

another thing, I always found that during and after a cyst/rupture anti-inflammatories were my best friend, they helped immensely so you might want to add that in....I guess they leave alot of inflammation in their wake I'm not sure!

hang in there!! Sending big 's!!
Unread 05-10-2004, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the hugs ((Gidge))

Your reply reminded me that I have to go take the Motrin again. I have been taking Motrin 800mgx3/day. I don't know if it's helping or not. I also received Torodal by injection at the hospital... I could tell that helped with the more widespread burning sensation... so that is why I think I should keep up the motrin.

I hope to hear from the doctor this afternoon. Since I just had two surgeries in Feb, I am hoping he doesn't suggest that first. But I know what you mean about getting it over with...

If I really did have a cyst rupture this weekend, it definately is "drop to the floor" pain.... YIKES!! I can't imagine going through it several times. THey must have known you really well at the ER!

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2004, 02:45 PM

well that's the funny (or not so funny now that I look back on it) thing about it, my Gyn at the time told me after one particularly nasty bout of lying on my living room floor for four hours (as I live alone) in agony that if it happened again to take two Leritine.....and wait an hour and see if the pain went away......if it didn't then take another and wait another hour.....if by then I was still in agony, then go to the ER......in retrospect that seems awfully wrong and no wonder I don't have ovaries anymore!!!

the anti-inflamm worked the best of all of them, maybe some oral toradol would be the way to go for you?? It's hard on the tummy though! Hang in there......only you know how much you can take! 's!!!
Unread 05-10-2004, 03:12 PM

Sarah,

I can totally relate to where you are at. I had my hyst in July of last year, had numerous cysts on the right ovary of which some had ruptured and yes it is very very painful!!!!

At the time of my hyst the left ovary was clean, nothing on it or the tube so it was left in. Well, it didn't stay clean for long just several months. My first ultrasound revealed a 6cm endometrioma, we decided because of my endo history to go ahead and take it out. Well at my preop visit the week before surgery it showed that it had shrunk and behind it were two more cysts. She offered a Lupron shot to shrink them down and wait but knowing my history and having had enough pain already in my lifetime I told her no, take them out.

well I am 2 days shy of being 3 weeks from laparotomy to remove the cysts, ovary and more endo. The ovary along with the cysts was encased in both adhesions and endo, the ovary was twisted and stuck to my bowels. I also had endo on my bowels and bladder and ureter that was causing all my bladder issues which seem to have gotten so much better, am still taking Detrol and we will see how I do from here on out. Adhesions will not show up on an ultrasound just like endo won't . She told me postop that she was glad I decided to go ahead with the surgery. It would have only gotten worse if it had been left in there. I too was devastated to have to undergo another major surgery not even a year postop but felt like my body had suffered enough.

I am doing fine, I am having hot flashes and nightsweats that wake me constantly therefore I stay very tired but it is better than having to take drugs constantly that don't take away all the pain and only take the edge off. I am glad I did it.

I hope that you come to some resolution and plan to make this go away, BCP were not an option for me either, they made me very sick along with other side affects. It is truly amazing that one time in there things look fine and then all of a sudden it changes.

I am so sorry to hear about your troubles I know you like many others here on HS have already been through so much.

Talk to your doctor and come up with a plan!!!!!!

hugs to you that you feel better soon!!!!

jody
Unread 05-10-2004, 06:26 PM

((Judy)) - I hope you finally find relief.

My doctor's nurse called and said that he suspects all of this is a by product of normal ovulation and will go away. He did offer to put me back on the BCP - but the on-call doctor already did that. I have had trouble with ovulation pain in the past but nothing this severe. I think something went awry this time but hopefully it will go away on it's own or with the BCP.

The nurse told me to keep my June appointment in case I am still having trouble with pain... or to call sooner if it doesn't go away.

So my guess is that the pain will go away... If it doesn't I am afraid my doctor won't take me seriously. I guess 2+cm cysts are pretty small and considered inconsequential. I am a little frustrated that the doctor made no effort to suggest why it hurt so much this time when I haven't had trouble like this in the past... Oh well... time will tell.

Sarah
Unread 05-10-2004, 07:20 PM

Sarah,

I just want to send you a big I know how painful it can be when the cysts rupture. I have PCOS and have been dealing with the small cysts for years. The pain does make you want to drop down to the floor.

My present GYN is not sure if the pain I am having right know is from the cysts, (last ultra sound 8 weeks ago showed my ovaries to be covered w/cysts) or if the pain is from Endo. I think it is more then likely a combination of both. That's why he has me on lupron to see if it reduces my pain. If my pain is reduced those buggers are coming out!

Please try to get plenty of rest and take it easy. And don't let anyone fool you small cysts hurt bad when they pop. DH has seen me keeled over almost every month in the past 7 yrs from the pain. I don't even know how many days of work or jobs I've lost because I could not come to work because of the pain.

I hope the BP pills help make things more manageable.

Kim
Unread 05-11-2004, 09:56 AM

Sarah, keep that Motrin coming and hopefully things will settle down.....didn't I read once that there is more then one type of cyst and that certain ones hurt way more then others? I think they were called chocolate cysts? Just a thought!

hang in there! We're all rooting for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register