"Bulge" in Vagina | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"Bulge" in Vagina "Bulge" in Vagina

Unread 05-10-2004, 12:45 PM
"Bulge" in Vagina

It has been 6 months since my surgery. I had a LAVH last October 21. I was very concerned about the surgery at the time because I am very overweight and had never had any kind of surgery before. I had a wonderful recovery with no problems whatsoever. I took one pain pill after I came home and never needed anything else. I returned to work after 8 weeks and have had no problems…UNTIL NOW!

About two weeks about I found a huge bulge on the left side of my vagina (almost coming out!) I also have almost constant twinges of pain on the left side that feels like ovarian pain (I kept my ovaries). In my research it seems that I probably have a enterocele and/or rectocele and/or vaginal vault prolapse. I have not had any bowel or bladder problems, but sex is painful and I sometimes get a “throbbing” or irritated feeling in the vagina.

Nobody mentioned that something like this could happen. I know that being overweight can cause or aggravate the condition, but I have had four 8 lb babies and have been overweight for 20 years and never had any symptoms until after the surgery.

Here are my questions:
1. Has anybody else had this happen months after surgery?
2. Did you have surgery to repair it? If so, how soon ?
3. How does that surgery compare to the hyst?

I am going to the doctor on Wednesday for my 6 month checkup—boy do I have a lot of questions and complaining to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2004, 01:47 PM
"Bulge" in Vagina

Please see a urogyn, someone who specializes in the pelvic floor and all the prolapses that go along with it. This is common if the vaginal vault is not well supported at the time of your hysterectomy. I'm sorry this has happened.
Unread 05-10-2004, 01:49 PM
"Bulge" in Vagina

I am sorry to hear you are in pain. Of course you are welcome on the Road, anytime.

One tip ... write all your symptoms down. Rate your pain levels, what makes it better/worse, time of day, etc.

Please don't think of it as complaining. You are merely communicating a pattern of symptoms to your doctor. You can not be effectively treated if you don't share all of the infomation that you have

Lots of healing s for you, dear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2004, 05:31 PM
"Bulge" in Vagina

I am so sorry you're going through this, just when you thought that you had whizzed through your recovery, without a hitch

I had my TVH to remove a huge fibroid and to repair a stage 3 rectocele (rectum prolapsing into the vagina, and bulging at the entrance of the vagina). In my case, the rectocele was both due to the pressure from the huge fibroid and deterioration of the pelvic floor due to delivering two large babies (over 9 lbs) vaginally. Being overweight didn't help the situation any.

My rectocele was repaired at the time of my hyst and it was done through an incision in the vagina. I also had a huge episiotomy-like incision that was due to the rectocele repair. At the same time, my doctor made sure to strengthen the pelvic floor with additional stitches in order to avoid further prolapse.

Since my repair surgery was at the same time as my hyst, it's hard to tell what part of the recovery is due to the hyst and what part is due to the repair. I do know that the pain from the perineal incision was the only pain that I felt, initially. However, it was very easily managed first with the PCA, then with Tylenol 3 and, finally, by the third day post-op, with extra-strength Tylenol.

I was warned to be careful and avoid constipation (a problem for me since I have IBS, constipation-type) in order to ensure that the repairs weren't overly strained. In order to relieve the pain from the stitches, I used a peri-bottle filled with warm water: you just spray it on the area.

Finally, once you've had a prolapse, you are susceptible to have other prolapses, therefore there usually are permanent lifting and straining restrictictions.

BTW, those of us who have a total hysterectomy tend to be at risk for prolapses, due to the absence of the cervix. Some doctors will ensure that the pelvic floor is stregthetened, but, I believe that this mostly happens when you've already had prolapses.

Sending lots of s your way. Please be sure to keep us posted.
Unread 05-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Prolapse..

Please see your uro/gyno soon. I had LAVH 25/11/03 and was overweight. After horendous pain and feeling like I was sitting on a tennis ball and many, many, scans, tests, etc. another gyno (not the one who did the hyster) decided to operated to find the cause of my agony - my bladder, bowel and nerve of my left hip had all descended into the vaginal vault via the pouch of Douglas. I had surgery 12/2/04 and all was fixed. I had, and still have, other issues related to overprescription of antibiotics by GP which have severely complicated and delayed my recovery, but that's another story, but I have not had any pain since the day I had the second surgery, and as far as the surgery was concerned I only used pain med for 24 hrs. It takes a while to recover from the repair, with lifting restrictions, driving restrictions, etc. but it's far better than the pain from before. My gyno "peritonealised" (sp) my bladder and bowel so the adhesions and prolapse couldn't happen again. Best of luck to you and I hope you get excellent results............

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register