Endometrial Hyperplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Hyperplasia Endometrial Hyperplasia

Unread 05-11-2004, 12:48 PM
Endometrial Hyperplasia

Hi I am hoping that someone can help.... I will start with the first of my problems....

I had a D&C a little over a year ago. I have very heavy bleeding, problems with a tumor the size of a orange on my right ovary... My dr was going in to remove the tumor and then he said he would do a D&C to help with the bleeding.. Well a little over a year has passed and I had another tumor, endo, fibroids, and bad pain with my periods so my dr said we should do a hyster. So that is what we did I had my 1 week check and the path report showed that I had Endometrial Hyperplasia... The dr did not say how bad it was but I have done a little reading and from what I have found out it is usually only seen in women over 40.... I am only 27 and just turned that on April 15.... Does anyone know of this being found in anyone else under 40? And also can anyone tell my why it would happen in someone my age...

thank you so much any info would be great.
Love Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Endometrial Hyperplasia

Hi Red,
I am 35 and have the dx of Complex Hyperplasia with atypia. Yes, it CAN happen to women under 40 and (from what I have read) it seems to be occuring more frequently these days.

My doc told me that the reason it happened was because I have too much estrogen in my system running unchecked. I had been on the pill for 15 years and had only been off for 3 years. Go figure!

I asked if being on the pill had anything to do with it...He said a big NO! ABSOLUTELY NO! That had nothing to do with it. If fact, most likely helped the hyperplasia stay at bay. Whew! cause I thought I had done myself in with all those years of BC pills.

This dx is considered a Pre-Cancer. Both my gyn and gyn/onc told me this. That means it is not the big CA...yet. But it can grow to be that.

Sounds like you did the right thing by having the surgery. Just know that you have caught this early and it is gone.

Why does estrogen run high in us at a young age? Well, I don't know...but neither did my doc!

Best wishes to you and a speedy recovery,
Unread 05-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Endometrial Hyperplasia

Hi Jodi,

Here is a link that may be helpful to you:

http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_...?navbar=tm6525

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Endometrial Hyperplasia

Women who have a weight problem have a much larger chance of developing endometrial cancer due to unopposed estrogen. My gyn and gyn/onc both told me that my weight problem was the major contributing factor in my endometrial cancer.
Unread 05-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Endometrial Hyperplasia

Hi, just wanted you to know that I am 26 and I have been dx with the complex hyerplasia with atypia. I too have a weight problem and the dx is caused by excesive estrogen. Fat cells create their own supply of the hormone, so it overloads the body. So I was told. I almost bleed to death before the problem was found. All my time having heavy periods no one told me I could develop this condition and that it could become cancerous.I opted not to have the hyster. and Im taking Megace to try and reverse the condition. I was fortunate that is was caught in time. My gyn sd if I had waited about another year or so, I wouldnt have been so lucky. But yes, it normally occurs in older ladies and like you I was confused on how it happens in younger women. But hang in there and let me know if I can help you. My prayers are with you.
Unread 05-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Endometrial Hyperplasia

I'm 30, and I was diagnosed with complex hyperplasia with atypia in January this year. I'm being treated with Megace as well. My recent biopsy in April showed it had decreased a level to just complex hyperplasia. That's good news, but not great news, as the doc figured it would be all gone by then. Anyhow, I'm still on the Megace, and my D&C is set to be some time in July, where we'll see where to go from there.
Unread 06-02-2004, 05:59 AM
Hyperplasia with complex cells/over 55. I need support.

I have avoided sx for a year but not 2nd DR has recommended TAH due to age and risk of cancer.

My hormone levels are post menopausal. I'm nervous about all the horror stories you hear about TAH. I'v read many of the post surgery postings and most of you sound so positive. However, I don't have any pains, no extreme bleeding (yet).

I don't want to risk CA but also don't want unnecessary sx.

Do any older sisters have some comforting words?
Unread 06-02-2004, 09:18 AM
Endometrial Hyperplasia

Sherry - I had NO PAIN, only slight pink-tinged color on toilet tissue and I ended up having a Grade II, Stage IIa endometrial cancer. ANY post-menopausal bleeding is not normal--severe or not. My TAH/BSO was not bad at all!! A hysterectomy is much easier than having a cancer diagnosis and radiation to go along with it. If you can avoid that, by all means do it!! Good luck! Carol
Unread 06-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Unopposed Estrogen/PCOS

Dear Ladies:

"Too much estrogen in your system running unchecked" can also be termed "unopposed estrogen", which is common in women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), which I have.

PCOS is a very common endocrine disorder wherein women have a problem with insulin resistance and carbohydrate metabolism. 50% of women with PCOS are lean, and 50% are overweight. Symptoms can include absence of menstrual cycles, little cysts on the ovaries (like a "string of pearls" under the theca), acne, weight gain, intolerance to carbohydrates, high libido, enlarged clitoris and rage (due to high testosterone levels). Not every woman will have every symptom.

Women with PCOS are at higher risk for endometrial cancer because of the unopposed estrogen in their bodies. First off, we seem to make more estrogen and second, if you are obese (as others have mentioned), those fat cells make estrogen too. It becomes a vicious cycle.

In addition to cancer risks, women with PCOS are also at higher riks for diabetes (7x risk) and heart disease and heart attack. The symptoms are very much like "Syndrome X".

For more info about PCOS, go to www.pcos.org.

We women are "wonderfully and fearfully made", and so much can go wrong with our bodies. Thank you all for the help you have given me as I've gone through trying to diagnose, etc., my gynecological problems with HPV.
Unread 06-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Endometrial Hyperplasia

Dear Sherry:

Please don't be afraid, of anything! I had a TAH and I am dealing with Radiation and Brachytherapy. I was told my cancer is rare for someone my age. But you know what? I am not afraid. I live each day as if it were a gift. I take long walks and marvel at baby Blue Jays and fragant pale pink roses. Today I walked early in the day and saw two fawns, complete with spots, patroling a wooded area with their mother. It was beautiful. That is what makes life worth living.

Love- Becky

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register