pets and your cut | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pets and your cut pets and your cut

Unread 05-11-2004, 03:27 PM
pets and your cut

One of my biggest concerns is I have 5 cats and 2 dogs (15-20lbs) which we let on the bed and they usually step right across us. I was afraid that i would get stepped on right on my abdomen. The dogs were pretty good they were careful but my cats! I was paranoid and slept with my hands across my belly and just last week my 3rd my biggest cat (17lbs) jumped on the bed stepping on my hip which woke me up and scared me. I pushed him right off. I was tender in the spot he put his weight on for a few days. I started to sleep after that with a folded towel (thick towel) over my belly just incase for padding. He has done it again this week but with the towel and the comforter it was ok no damage done. Just an FYI to any pet owners becareful with your animals and towels on the belly at night are a wonderus thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2004, 03:34 PM
pets and your cut

Christine,

We have 5 cats and the biggest one loves to sleep with us, so I was worried esp. since he loves to lay on my belly. After I got home I showed him my belly, so he plopped down across my thighs. LOL

lunazul
Unread 05-11-2004, 03:46 PM
pets and your cut

I am worried about that too. I have a 17 lb Siamese named Niles that jumps right in the middle of my stomach every night. When I had my LOR, I pushed him off my sore stomach (plus I screamed bloody murder) and he stopped jumping on me for a while. (He was quite disturbed by it.) I tried to sleep on my side and keep a pillow in front of my incision, or close my door and lock him out for a while. I suppose I will go with the same plan this time. Good luck cat lovers. It's nice to be owned by one - or five!!

Diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2004, 05:26 PM
pets and your cut

I have a cotton blanket that my Himalayan does not like the texture on his paw pads. I fold it into a small, half-pillow width and lay it across my tummy when I'm falling asleep. He just won't go there. He's learned to cuddle up down by my feet instead.
Unread 05-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Cat Heating Pad

Hi,

I don't mind when the cat lies on the incision. He's warm and purrs. Better than a heating pad! I'm not so crazy about it when he does the "milk treading" or whatever it is with his front feet, though -- right on the incision!

He usually ends up sleeping in the crook of my legs. The dog is at the end of the bed.

6 days post op, TAH
Gail
Unread 05-11-2004, 07:33 PM
pets

my dog ginger is a cuddler..she has to sleep on the bed and has to sit on my lap during the day.

she weighs 16 lbs and she's very active pug, so i made a rule that she couldn't sleep on the bed for several weeks till my incision healed. i missed her so much... i broke that rule the first week.

when i came home from the hospital, i slept in a recliner (it's easier to get up and down) and kept a pillow over my stomach the entire time when she was near. one night she stepped on the incision. it hurt so much and i started to bleed heavily, i thought she did some damage internally. i believe this set me back a little and delayed healing. thankfully, i was okay.

so be careful..i know it's hard not to be around your pets, but i suggest keeping them in another room when you're sleeping.

LAK
Unread 05-11-2004, 08:27 PM
pets and your cut

I have a big ragdoll-type cat that weighs 15 pounds. Max (or Maxi-Pad, as my teenagers call him) thinks I am his mom... He was so happy to see me when I got home from the castle after both of my surgerys. But he seemed to know that he could not sit on me anymore. He would lay next to me in bed, and sit on the arm of the easy chair instead of ON me. As I got better, I finally allowed him on the UPPER part of my chest, and he has been happy with that.

I did sleep (and still do 12 days post-op) with a pillow on my tummy... just in case!
Unread 05-11-2004, 08:41 PM
pets and your cut

I vote for the pillow on the abdomen! My cat snuck up on me in the middle of the night and the pillow did the trick!
Unread 05-11-2004, 09:09 PM
pets and your cut

I do have afew hamsters that treat me as a mountain . The only thing i worried about was the possibility of infection and that when they smelt another they would nibble at my shirt . I have lost count of how many shirts I have that have been ruined this way .

mei
Unread 05-12-2004, 01:35 PM
pets and your cut

I raised 3 of my cats from 2 days old so they think I'm mom. One in particular is my lap cat luckily she is the lightest. I always keep a pillow on the couch for my lap and she usually lays on it. I had to put an extra pillow on the bed just for her because I would wake up and have no pillow space left! For the first two weeks they were ok she would avoid my tummy and lay on my chest instead. During the second week when you are still tender getting in and out of bed I had her on my chest, the dog on the bed which freaked out and jumped down which scared her and she jumped which made me flinch and jump and boy I thought I tore internal stiches it hurt! It turned out to be fine though. The towel at night seems to help and I am not as parinoid sleeping.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register