CIN III for my 16 Year Old Niece...anyone know anyone else this young? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CIN III for my 16 Year Old Niece...anyone know anyone else this young? CIN III for my 16 Year Old Niece...anyone know anyone else this young?

Unread 05-11-2004, 08:04 PM
CIN III for my 16 Year Old Niece...anyone know anyone else this young?

Hi Ladies here's the story. My niece went to get on birth control a few months ago. A pap smear was taken. She got the results and it revealed cervical dysplasia. She went 6 day's ago and had 3 punch biopsies taken. The results came back and the Dr. called yesterday. She has a CIN III. He suggested a LEEP or a Conalization (S?) She is terrified that she will end up with the same problems as myself and the result will be a hysterectomy and removal of the cervix. What I don't understand is how can a girl/woman this young possibiliy have female problems this young! Does anyone know of anyone else this young with the same problem? Thank You in advance for replying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2004, 08:20 PM

Hi Daisy,
I am so sorry to hear of your niece...oh, and so young too. I do not have experience in this area.

But I have seen some pretty young women on the boards here.
Hopefully, they will be along soon to give their advice.

I am glad that she went for an exam when she did. Hopefully the conization or LEEP will be successful and no further invasive treatment will be necessary. Only very regular check ups.

She is lucky to have a strong Aunt like you to care and stand by her. Giving as much support as you can.

Best wishes,
Unread 05-11-2004, 08:30 PM

Thank You Jmac35 for your kind words. I must say though that I feel like I betrayed my niece. She asked me to please explain all about the colposcopy, cyro, and punch biopsies before she had the procedures done. I honestly told her that the colposcopy and cyro was a breeze but I fibbed and told her that the punch biopsies wouldn't hurt a bit...actually...they are rather painful. She is so angry at me right now for not telling her the truth. I think I might have frightened her to the point where she won't go get her LEEP or conization done. Any advice on how to make amends? I REALLY want my niece to be healthy and have a peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2004, 08:53 PM

Daisy,
In my opinion, the best thing you can do for her is be honest. If something is uncomfortable, then tell her. She deserves to know.

If the shoe were on the other foot and you were the young one, wouldn't you want to know?

I don't mean to be harsh. I hope it is not coming across that way. But all women, of all ages need to have the facts and know what they are walking into.

Not knowing is the biggest part of the fear. Fear of the unknown. What will happen to me? What will it feel like? Will I take a long time to heal?

You owe it to her, yourself and your relationship with her to be totally up front. You are probably the only person she feels comfortable in confiding all of this stuff to because you have experience of a similar nature.

She may be young, but she has the problems of a grown woman. Speak to her as she is just that, a woman. I think you will both be much happier in the long run and have a stronger bond.

I feel I can say that because I have the same converstaion with my 42 year old sister about her 17 year old daughter...only about a different subject matter.

Oh, goodness, here I am rambling on and on! Please don't be upset with my comments. I just think honesty is the best policy.
Unread 05-11-2004, 09:45 PM

Brigid? Is that you? How are you doing?

I'm so sorry to hear about your niece--how awful to have to face these realities at such a young age! She is lucky to have you to help her. Sure, there was a misstep when you downplayed the reality of punch biopsies, but sit her down and promise to be straight with her from now on! If her mother doesn't have experience like yours, she will need your empathy and concern. But in the meantime, if she doesn't believe you, send her to us! Post up on the experience of LEEP or cone and let her read the replies.

Does her doctor have any explanation as to why this might have happened? If she has been sexually active for any length of time, has she been tested for HPV?

I hope this turns out to be self-limiting....sigh.....

Good luck to her!

Valarie
Unread 05-11-2004, 09:46 PM

Hi Daisy,

for being such a loving aunt! I first got a dx of CINIII when I was 22; obviously quite a bit older than your niece but still fairly young. I had a leep at that time and it got rid of the problem for about 7 years.

It sounds like between you and her doctor your niece is in good hands. I don't have any other advice as I don't have kids and my nieces are 3 and 2!

Keep us posted on how she's doing, or send her over to HS if she's got any questions!

Beth
Unread 05-11-2004, 10:14 PM

HPV can happen at any time, and is believed to be the casue of dysplasia, is she sexually active?? i know of an HPV message board that is mostly young kids if you think she is interrested. i am not sure if she would feel comfortable comming here for answers to her questions or feel comfortable with her own age group. I wish her the best, i hope treatment is easy for her. tell her to ask us about the LEEP if it makes it easier, we will be honest and back you up so she has trust in you. i personally did not think the LEEP was a big deal, i had cramping after for a couple days, discharge for about 4 weeks, but no pain. and i felt nothing during. warn her about the smell and smoke commng out of her vagins, that made me a little nervous. all of the research i had done prior that is something i had not read, and i tell everyone so it is not a shock to them!
Unread 05-13-2004, 01:17 PM

Daisy:

I was diagnosed with cervial dysplasia at when I just turned 18. Cone biopsies and cryo done. I am now 36 and am getting cervix removed with TAH next week. Its somewhat overwhelming, as I remember quite well when it happened. Be straight with your niece.....offer to go with her if she would like. She might feel more comfortable with you there....since you know what she is going through.

Please let us know how everything goes...
Unread 05-13-2004, 05:52 PM

Hi Ladies...sorry for not replying to any of your messages. My niece and her problems have been set aside for a little while. We unfortunantly had a good friend perish in a trailor house fire on mother's day. Please say a prayer for Barb and her family.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register