Pain question...... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain question...... Pain question......

Unread 05-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Pain question......

When does the side effect of painful sex get better after having internal radiation treatments?

I had my radical hysterectomy in Dec and then 28 external radiation and three HDR treatments, the last being April 5.

I had no pain before the internal treatments started and now after the treatments, it is a bit painful. I had an internal exam today and was told that I am still a bit red/raw in a few areas from the HDR, but that things should get better and to continue having sex cause that was better than using a dialator to preserve what was left of my vagina.

The pain isn't horrible, but is not good 'for the mood', if you know what I mean.... We use plenty of lube, any other tricks or advice to help with the pain. The NP joked and said to get drunk first, it might help relax me, but that the pain will get better the farther away from the HDR treatment I am.

Peekaboo
Radical hysterectomy/BSO for 1b1 cervical cancer, no lymph node involvement
28 external and 3 internal radiation treatments for vascular involvement and close margins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Pain question......

I know exactly where you are coming from.....

I only had 1 internal but it was the low dose and I was in the castle for 3 days. But my problems after that were not that bad, I had 2 surgeries this past fall, which shortened my vagina among other things. After those 2 surgeries I was very hesatiant about having sex. And when I did it was painful. We would lube up and do it, and I just worked thru the pain. I knew that the first few times would be painful, (surgeries and not doing it for approx 4-5 months -- due to surgeries and problems that followed)

All I can really say is to take your time, have DH take it slow (if possible) If it gets too painful let your doctor know.

Please take care and God Bless
Unread 05-13-2004, 02:46 PM
time heals all things?

I have yet to muster up the courage to have sex with my husband. He's been really patient but I too want to get back into things.

By the time we got the 'o.k.' from my doctor to have sex following my surgery, I was into radiation & chemo (I didn't have any internal though) and really didn't feel up to having sex with all that was going on.

Now I just finished my treatments (last week) and am still suffering with a few side effects (bowel & bladder stuff and of all things horrible hemorhoids!) -- hardly puts me in the mood.

I would also love any advice to make our transition back into intimacy more successful. Thanks for bringing the topic forward.

Connie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2004, 08:12 AM
Pain question......

Known2b, Thanks! DH does take it really slow, cause otherwise I do the backwards scoot!!!

I have decided that more frequent is definitely better. I think it keeps it 'stretched out', no time to shrink back up.....pardon my frankness there. The pain is limited to the first few moments until complete entry, we just take that part real slow and easy.

Connie,
Hooray for finishing up with treatments! I was told to wait at least until my three week follow up after my last internal treatment before resuming that part of our intimacy. It took a few weeks before the bladder and bowel side effects were better and I was more in the mood. My only advice is to tell your husband to be real gentle and use lots of lube! I am almost 6 weeks post treatments and am still as dry as the Sahara Desert! I had no problems until after the internal with that, I am hoping it will get better.

Peekaboo
Radical hysterectomy/BSO for 1b1 cervical cancer, no lymph node involvement
28 external and 3 internal radiation treatments for vascular involvement and close margins

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register