CA125 levels going up | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CA125 levels going up CA125 levels going up

Unread 05-12-2004, 03:28 PM
CA125 levels going up

I'm just wondering if it is normal for CA125 levels to fluctuate quite a bit. After surgery mine was 58. After the first chemo it went down to 18.1. One month later it was 30.4 and now after three chemos it's back up to 54.1. Has anyone else experienced this? I guess chemo head is starting to kick in. I have an appointment with my gyn/onc Friday. Sure hope this is not bad news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2004, 05:29 PM
CA125 levels going up

Hi Cricket,

I have posted many times about the ups and downs in my ca125 number and I am sure that no one wants to hear my story again. However, if you email me we can chat.

For some strange reason, my number seems to go up and down within the normal range and it still makes me crazy. The last time I saw my doctor he said that rather than the actual numbers rise and fall, the like to look at the pattern instead.

I was also told that, just like your bloodwork, ca125 numbers can change throughout the day. That kinda sounded reasonable to me too.

Believe me, I know how you are feeling.

Rosalie
Unread 05-12-2004, 06:07 PM
CA125 levels going up

s Cricket

It will be interesting to see what your gyn/onc has to say about your ca 125 and its upward trend in the midst of chemo.
Not all ovarian cancers respond well to the initial chemo of taxol and carboplatin, as some cancers are resistent to these drug.
About 20% of ovarian cancer patients do not have a good response to taxol and carboplatin.
I would ask if it would be possible to have some chemo sensitivity testing done on your tumor that was removed.
Have you had a CT scan done lately? Perhaps it is time for one.
Although these are not the results you had wanted, keep your chin up. There are many other chemos out there for you to try if your gyn/onc is ready to switch.
Best wishes. Let us know how the appt goes.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2004, 06:28 PM
CA125 levels going up

Thanks sisters for your response. I had a CT scan Feb 27 and pelvic area and abdomen were all clear. I'm not going to get too worried, I know being positive is a lot of the battle but please keep me in your prayers. I'll let you know what the gyn/onc says Friday.
Unread 05-13-2004, 01:44 AM
CA125 levels going up

Hi, Cricket.

I second what Karenann had to say. If you do prove to be resistant to these drugs, there are other drugs that will likely prove helpful. From what I've been told, there should be a downward trend during a Carboplatin/Taxol regimen. Your doctor will be better able to help you understand what your fluctuating numbers mean.

Do not despair. Arm yourself with as much information as you can, and be sure to ask lots of questions. Please let us know what your doctor says.

s!
Unread 05-13-2004, 05:28 AM
CA125 levels going up

Hi,

I had a similar problem. During chemo my CA125 when from 250 to 120 to 150 to 50 after the 4th chemo. The doctor scheduled 2 more rounds of chemo even though the CT scan was good. Before what would have been the 5th round of chemo (5 weeks after my 4th round) my CA125 was 41. The doctor cancelled the chemo and ordered a PET scan. My insurance wouldn't cover it but I had it anyway. The PET scan came back good as well. He cancelled the chemos and sent me on to radiation (which I am doing now). He said that there are some people who are not in the normal CA125 range. As I had never had the test before cancer he didn't know what was normal for me. Factors in my case that may lead to a normally high CA125 were age (41 when diagnosed) and over weight. He said 5% to 10% fall into the higher range.
Judy

P.S. I am not recommending getting a PET scan if the insurance does not cover it. It is expensive and I will be paying on it a long time. My only other option was the 2 chemos. It was a gamble because the PET scan could have shown more cancer and the chemos would have still been done.

P.S.S. I had ovarian cancer 1a and uterine cancer 1c
Unread 05-13-2004, 06:02 AM
CA125 levels going up

CA-125 numbers are not something that I'm very knowledgeable about, but obviously many of our members here are!

But I'll be hoping and praying that your Friday appointment goes well and is for GOOD news.

Blessings.
Marlene

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register