Sense of Smell and Taste... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sense of Smell and Taste... Sense of Smell and Taste...

Unread 05-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Sense of Smell and Taste...

Hi Ladies,

This really isn't a serious problem, but I wasn't sure where else to ask this question.

Has anyone else noticed a long term decrease in their sense of taste and/or smell since surgery? Right after my surgery two years ago, I had a metallic taste which I assume was from the anesthesia, but I don't know if something else happened, maybe with the breathing tubes or something, because ever since surgery, my sense of smell and taste have greatly decreased. Things just don't smell or taste like they did, it's almost like these senses have "faded" out.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this, or is it just me?

Thanks and s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-12-2004, 09:26 PM
I've been meaning to write about this myself :(...

I used to be a real "foodie," an excellent cook, and I cared, you know? Now I find myself eating because I have to -- or for texture rather than taste or smell. My salivary glands are affected with Sjogren's and I've thought that maybe that's the problem, but I also suspect that menopause has something to do with it.

Food often tastes metallic to me; the worst, unfortunately, is . It seems to make my tongue break out in little bumps, too. I miss it!!!
  Quote:
This really isn't a serious problem
To me, it is! Food has always been a serious interest of mine; I used to teach cooking classes, etc....but now, it's just another chore. This is difficult with my family, too, since their first inclinations have nothing to do with eating healthy, and now we'd all rather be doing something else than the work of making and eating food.

Luckily my other appetites seem to be intact ...

Audrey
Unread 05-13-2004, 06:35 PM

Hi Girls diminished sense of smell can be a sign of low estrogen levels:

Quote:
Hormones, such as estrogen, are thought to play a role in taste perception. Not only are women more likely to be supertasters than men, but taste perception tends to increase in women in response to high levels of hormones. For example, many women perceive bitter tastes more intensely during the first trimester of pregnancy.
from: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/co.../nn970319.html

Quote:
Since the sense of smell is estrogen dependent, it is often greatly diminished after menopause, causing the woman great distress.
from: http://www.aromascience.net/publicat...ensHealth.html

It can also be a sign of Vitamin B3 deficiency, but my money's on the estrogen

-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2004, 08:31 PM

i was just mentioning the taste thing to my husband tonite..everything tastes salty to me...i find this strange since we dont use table salt at all and very little in cooking (due to me being hypertensive)...i've had my hormone levels checked and they seem to be normal....another thing is that this seems to come and go with no rhyme or reason--one day i'm fine, the next few days or so everythings salty.....weird.
Unread 05-14-2004, 12:42 AM

I don't know how reliable this is, but in Chinese medicine, a salty taste in the mouth can be a sign of trouble with the kidneys or bladder.
s,
-Linda
Unread 05-14-2004, 12:50 PM

i had heard the same thing..i've had both kidney and bladder tests done (for all my cystitis problems) and everything seems to be normal...the link between the 2 was my first thought as well when i first noticed the taste changes........thanks for the reply!...stay well.....diana
Unread 05-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Loss of smell

My Mom didn't have a hyst, but when my Dad died (pneumonia due to Parkinson's Disease -- definitely a longterm illness -- but the death was a blessing), she lost her sense of smell and taste for about two years. Could stress have anything to do with it? She never got an answer from her doctor. It definitely also affected her -- a home ec teacher.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register