Ovarian Cysts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cysts Ovarian Cysts

Unread 05-13-2004, 08:23 AM
Ovarian Cysts

HI

This is my first time of posting on this site so forgive me if I am in wrong area.

Yesterday I saw a surgeon, the first visit after 8 months of continual pain in my lower right hand side. I had a barium enema which found nothing, followed by an ultra sound scan which showed an ovarian cyst. Yesterday they repeated the scan and have unfortunately found 2 large cysts on the right ovary, I have now been scheduled for Monday 17th May to have my right ovary removed with the prospect of the left one being removed also.

Whilst I was there yesterday they also took blood to do the CA125 test, this is what has scared me more than anything, I am trying to keep a brave face on things for the sake of my husband and children but it doesnt take away the fact they are looking to see if it is Cancer.

Has anyone else had this procedure carried out recently in the UK, if so a little advice would be most gratefully accepted.

I only said the UK because I am not sure if methods are different in other countries or not.

This site is superb, I wish it had been around when I had my hysterectomy some 8 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Ovarian Cysts

Tigerose,

Try not to worry too much about the CA125. In the U.S. this test is considered not very useful by doctors- you can have a high reading (false positive for cancer) due to the presence of other benign medical conditions. Also, you can have a LOW reading and still have cancer because the CA125 cannot detect ovarian cancer in the early stages.

The only way to determine ovarian cancer is to do surgery, as your UK doctors are doing. This is also the protocol in the U.S. and most of the time the cysts are shown NOT to be cancerous. When found in the early stages ovarian cancer is usually curable.

I hope everything goes well. I know it is a difficult time for you. Best wishes and prayers for you.
Unread 05-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Ovarian Cysts

I did not have ovarian cysts, but I just wanted to say good luck Monday, and I hope the results are good.

Anna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2004, 02:32 PM
Ovarian Cysts

Hi Tigerrose:

I'm not in the UK but had to respond, our stories are very simialr. At age 30, in 1991, I had a partial hysterectomy. Did great for 13 years and this past October, at age 43, had both ovaries removed. Because of pain in my right side I had an ultrasound which showed two huge cysts, everything being about the size of a grapefruit. The left looked fine on the ultrasound. When my DR went in, she found both ovaries being double in size and meshed together with ovarian tissue. I was very suprised when I awoke from surgery and by DR told me both ovaries had to go. I am now almost eight months post op.

If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to respond.

Good luck on everything.

Cathy
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:45 AM
Surgery Cancelled Til Next Week :(

There I was all fasted since midnight last night, in my theatre gown, and pre med taken. Waiting my turn to be taken down to the theatre.

next thing I know the nurse came over and apologised informing me that the operation before had hit complications which had therefore taken my surgeon over her allotted time for the theatre.

So home I came and have to go back next week
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:49 AM
Ovarian Cysts

Im so sorry - all that anxiety and now you have to wait! That is one thing I worry about too - I will pray for you!

I see you had a hyst 8 years ago, and now back again for the rest.

I have elected to take everything out in one shot - I never want to go through another surgery like this again.

Rest up - the week will go by fast.
Unread 05-17-2004, 08:04 AM
So sorry

Oh, Tigerrose, how awful that you have to wait and go through more anxiety. I am so sorry. I have my surgery next month, and I have decided to take everything all at once. I don't want to have to do this again.!
Unread 05-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Ovarian Cysts

So sorry your surgery had to be postponed! I had that happen with my hernia surgery! There I was ready to go all fasted and prepped, they took my temp and boom it was 102!!! Never even had a sniffle! So I was cancelled for 2 weeks. I hope your week goes by quickly for you!
Unread 05-17-2004, 04:02 PM
Ovarian Cysts

Gosh, how awful, you have to go through all that getting ready all ovr again. I went for a pre-op today and it had been cancelled because the Dr was operating a delivering babies. Have to make another trip Friday. Really burned me, they could have called.
Unread 05-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Surgery Cancelled Til Next Week

That would drive me crazy. I'm already tired of waiting, even though I'm dreading it at the same time. I've been fretting over getting sick a week to a few days before the surgery date. I've thought about staying in the house in isolation to keep from getting sick! But this you have no control over. Of course, there is always the possiblity that the dr. would have been tired after such an extensive sugery, and it would have been more difficult for him to do a good job on you. There is a good reason for the delay even if you don't understand it and find it frustrating now. (I only hope that I remember this if my surgery is delayed!)

--RamonaD
4/5 left ovary removed; 6/7 LSH scheduled for fibroid colony, weird cycles, excessive bleeding and clots, possible adenomyosis, and now- pain

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register