easy recovery from laparoscopy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

easy recovery from laparoscopy? easy recovery from laparoscopy?

Unread 05-13-2004, 01:16 PM
easy recovery from laparoscopy?

I had my pre-op appt. yesterday & my dr. made it sound like the recovery from the laparoscopy is a piece of cake! He said I should be back to normal in a couple of days! The surgery is going to be a "diagnostic laparoscopy with possible oophorectomy" for pelvic pain. I had a TVH last June & the recovery took longer than I expected (7 wks), not too bad, but I had heard so many other women post-TVH feeling great after a shorter time. I also had quite a bit more pain post op than I expected.

Has anyone had an easy recovery from laparoscopy? I have 2 small children & need to make arrangements for childcare if needed. I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks!

Bioblazer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2004, 01:29 PM

Recovery is going to depend on exactly what they do. I've had two - one was just to look around and the other was cutting adhesions. Both were done on Fridays.

With the just looking around I felt horrible the day of the "viewing" but was feeling fine but sore the next day. With the lysis, I felt fine the day it was done was horribly sore for several days afterwards. But with both procedures I was able to go back to work on Monday, but maybe I'm an over-achiever. I do not believe that my doctor expected me to return to work on Monday following the lysis, but I didn't ask her opinion.

The best bet is to ask your own doctor what he or she thinks you should be prepared for, and how long you should expect to have limitations. If you end up with ovary removal then you will take longer to recover. If it ends up being just a look around you could be feeling good pretty quickly. Your navel will be sore and bruised, and you could have multiple other small incisions. You should get post op care instructions on bathing and incision care before leaving the hospital, as well as the info on what warrants a call to the dr - fever, redness, what not. I had a one week post op check each time.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 05-13-2004, 01:38 PM

I've had 2 laps and both removed endo and adhesions I felt lousy that day, lots of gas pain in my shoulders and stuff but was able to walk and sit at an incline. By the next day I was still uncomfortable getting out of bed and my stomach muscles were sore but it was more discomfort than pain although I was on pain meds now that I think of it. But mine were done on Thursdays and Fridays and by Monday I was ready to go back to work. The first few days are just uncomfortable and gassy!

I would suggest if you could get childcare the day of and the day after so you can rest and not lift them up, your stomach will just feel week like you did way too many situps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2004, 04:47 PM

When I was approximately 30 I had a lap to remove my right ovary. It was my first female surgery. I was kept in the hospital overnight, took the weekend off and was back to work on Monday. I didn't miss a beat.

Flash forward 6 years and after 5 surgeries in 5 years time, each additional surgery took me longer to recover from. I had surgery on my nose last June and thought my body would never shake the effects of the drain that surgery can have on you. I had an exploratory lap in 2002 and it took me over two weeks to snap back.

I would err on the side of caution. JMHO but I would plan on taking some time off, resting and recovering.

Unread 05-13-2004, 05:26 PM

Maybe I am a wimp, but I was off of work for 2 weeks when I had my lap done in June of 2002 and I back to work for a week after my two weeks of and ended out being another week do to heavy bleeding.

Durring my lap they had removed endo off of my right ovary, removed cysts from both ovaries, tried to open a blocked tube, and did ovarian drilling. I think I was about 1 1/2 weeks before I could sit up straight on at a kitchen chair for more then 30 mins.

I guess each person recovers diffrently.

Kim
Unread 05-13-2004, 06:07 PM
Laparoscopy recovery

I had two of them in the last year. My first one was a diagnostic, but he removed adhesions as well, 2 hours... I had it on a Wednesday, and went back to work Monday... But felt awful as I struggled through the week. My second one 1 1/2 and using Interceed, also was on a Wednesday, and I made sure I did not go back to work Monday... I rested that next week as well. I was really better off going back to work with the extra rest.

Each person is so different, and each procedure and surgery is different. I would think if they take the ovary, it will be a tad longer of a recovery, but I could be wrong.

One thing for sure... Do not do anything you do not feel up to doing. If you are not feeling up to returning to work in a few days, insist on a few more days of rest. Most doctors are understanding.

Take care and good Luck.... Susie
Unread 05-13-2004, 06:11 PM

(((Sweety Tweety))) You are certainly NOT a wimp! Alot depends on how much work the doctor does, how many surgeries you've had, your age, etc. One person's recovery has NO bearing on another person's recovery. Just because it may take you longer, does NOT put you in the wimp category. Believe me, I do know the feeling. Yes, during my first surgery I bounced right back, but the surgeries thereafter I did not fair so well.

Unread 05-13-2004, 07:46 PM

I have had 10 laparascopies. I think it depends on your age, how you react to anesthesia, and how much the doctor does internally. THe lap where the doctor did nothing but look was relatively easy to recover from.... the other ones took a couple weeks usually. THe doctor would usually laser endo, lyse adhesions... . Most of the time I had minimal help with my kids after the first few days.

This last surgery (feb 4th), the doctor lasered endometriosis and endosalpingiosis, did a PSN, lysed some adhesions, and did a cecopexy. I was in horrible pain afterwards, had internal bleeding requiring a second surgery a week later, and required a catheter for a month because my bladder would not work right. Had I been working outside the home it would have been 5-6 weeks before I would have felt up to going back to work. I didn't feel up to taking care of my kids all by myself until 3 weeks post-op.

I hope things go really well for you. I got help from relatives, friends, and people at my church. EVeryone really wanted to help out so perhaps there are some options for you to have people "on-call" if you end up needing help for longer than you thought. The most helpful things were people making dinners for me and people taking my kids to their houses to play for a few hours.

Sarah
Unread 05-14-2004, 01:49 PM

Thanks so much all of you for your advice and stories. I have 2 small children & do not work outside the home. So, I guess I will just plan on childcare for at least the first week after the surgery and take it from there. The dr. seems to think that it's adhesions causing the pain. He will try to save the ovaries if possible, and snip the adhesions as well as use that Interceed to prevent new ones. If it's endo & not adhesions, he can take care of that while he's in there. My sister works with this dr. in the OR and she says he is an excellant surgeon. I'll just have to wait & see what's going to happen.

If I have the childcare already set up, then I won't worry if it takes me a little longer to recover. Thanks so much for all your replies!

Bioblazer

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register