Debating what's best | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Debating what's best Debating what's best

Unread 05-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Debating what's best

Hi all! I am new to this forum - have been lurking for days, ever since the conversation with my doctor that suggested TAH is the way to go. I've got hyperplasia along with suspected adeno, some small fibroids, irregular bleeding and a family history of uterine cancer. My symptoms are annoying, but don't seem nearly as bad as what some of you have gone through.

My sister, who ended up with uterine cancer, had symptoms that were a lot like mine. She allowed things to continue to the point where cancer developed before having a TAH. I am really scared of going the same route. The possibility of cancer scares me far more than the surgery.

I am also diabetic - I have not seen anything on the boards regarding others who have this problem. No insulin. Medication and diet controlled ( - or not if I'm eating poorly). My doctor says that some of the drug related therapies can wreak havoc with diabetes, and his preference is not to go that route. I see my endocrinologist next week, so I will ask him about this.

After reading many of your posts, I'm questioning whether I'm crazy to go forward with this - my symptoms are not debilitating. Also want to know if anyone else here has diabetes and whether there are special concerns to think about.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Debating what's best

Hey there!

We're happy that you emerged out of the lurking mode! After all, we can't help you until we know you're out there!

In answer to your question: If you trust your doctor, then NO you are not crazy for proceeding with his/her recommendations. If you are unsure, get a second opinion.

Many of us, including myself, have surgeries that come off without a hitch. It improves our quality of life immensely. The problem is--since this site is intended for "support" the women who are happy with the results of their hyst often "ride off into the sunset" never to be heard from again. Chances are, if you proceed with the operation, you will be among the "success stories."

Sisters with diabetes -- let's hear from you!
Unread 05-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Debating what's best

Hi Searchgal,

I'm glad you posted! I can't share any experience with diabetes, but I know we have members here who are diabetic. I'm sure someone will be along with some experiences to share.

I highly recommend that you consult with a gyn oncologist, given your family history of uterine cancer. Even if you don't feel your symptoms are all that bad, I'm sure it's very frightening to think about the possibility of your situation becoming cancerous. It's nothing to fool around with ...

Please keep us posted on what you find out and what you decide about treatment. Sending extra hugs your way.

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register