surgery in 2 weeks and 5 mo old baby at home | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery in 2 weeks and 5 mo old baby at home surgery in 2 weeks and 5 mo old baby at home

Unread 05-13-2004, 07:47 PM
surgery in 2 weeks and 5 mo old baby at home

Hi all I am new here obviously, I am scheduled for my surgery on May 26 due to fibroids. I just have a question, the doctor said that after about 2 weeks I should be able to take care of my baby again on my own , such as lifting him and such, does anyone have an opinion on this ? I have help for the first two weeks after surgery but after that my DH goes back to work and my Mom will go home. I am also REALLY nervous about the pain, I HAVE NEVER been cut open, but my friend who also had a TAH said just take your meds and in about 4 weeks you will feel "better" and then in about another 2-4 AFTER THAT you will feel like yourself again. SOUND RIGHT ? THank you so much in advance for your help............also help with suggestions I am 30 and a nervous wreck. I am supposed to be getting a TAH and keeping both ovaries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2004, 08:08 PM

There will obviously be some things like carrying 5 Gallon buckets of water etc etc that you cant do .I think you should be able to manage the baby alright .

Just dont shove furniture or do anything heavy like that .The pain can be managed somehow ... if you are stil breastfeeding you might have to look into expressing while you are at the hospital to keep up the supply and also to let the staff know so that they can watch the meds they give you .If the baby is on formula then thats not really an issue .

I guess you wil have to listen to your body and watch what household chores you can do .

(((HUGS)))

mei
Unread 05-13-2004, 08:27 PM

Hello... I am scheduled for my TAH on 5-17 and I have a 3 month old as well. I am 34. I will have help for awhile also but my dr. told me that I could hold her only at first, try not lifting her, for the first 2 weeks or so and then lifting nothing but her after that for the remaining recovery. She weighs about 13-14lbs. As far as household things I have older children that do a lot of things already and my dh will be supervising again on all of that. My dr. told me to enlist family and friends for household things needing done and let go of the things that could wait. My recovery right now is more important than any load of laundry! So, I plan to take his advice. Good luck to you!!
CAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2004, 07:40 AM

Thanks ladies for the help !! My little guy is only 14.5 lbs so I think I will be okay lifting him after the two week period and trust me that is hte ONLY thing I plan on doing, my older kids and dh can do everything else !!!! I figure he will be close to 15-15.5 lbs after my two week period. He is a little guy he started out at 5 lb 6 oz home from the Hosp
Unread 05-14-2004, 08:34 PM
hugs

Good luck with your surgery. That's great that you will have help for the first couple of weeks because you'll need it! Don't be afraid after those two weeks to enlist the help of friends etc. if you need it. I'm 31 and have 2 & 4 year old boys -- I actually had help for 6 weeks following my surgery but could have managed by the 3rd week...the 2nd week would have been pushing things for me a bit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register