Feldene anyone? Especially FMS sisters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feldene anyone?  Especially FMS sisters Feldene anyone? Especially FMS sisters

Unread 05-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Feldene anyone? Especially FMS sisters

Well ladies, as many of you already know, I have been having issues with on-going pain. Pelvic pain which is being addressed by my Gyn. Had my 1st Lupron shot in March and am due for my second at the end of this month. I believe the actual pelvic pain has decreased dramatically. However, the pain in my joints and back are still present and at times more than I can deal with.

I was dx with probable FMS a few summers ago after X-rays, MRIs, blood tests, etc. I was put on Elavil 100mg @ bedtime as well as Soma 4x daily. Shortly after my TAH/LSO I switched GP’s, which I thought was going to be a good thing. Lately, I’ve really started to wonder about that. He has had me jumping through the same hoops that I did 2 years ago. I believe his knowledge and understanding of FMS is quite limited. My Soma Rx has been renewed infrequently and I have gone weeks at a time w/o it, which my FMS sisters will know creates havoc. Now he has added yet another medicine to the already too many that I take daily. It is a once a day NSAID called Feldene. Anyone else here take it or have in the past? What were your results? His thinking was that I have been on steroids twice in the last few months and they have helped while I was taking them so, there must be an inflammation or arthritis of some sort – even though my RA screen was negative again.

I am currently on state MA so switching doctors again isn’t an option right now. We are trying to move closer to my job this summer which would put me in another county and then I would be able to switch GP’s. I just don’t want to get so bad in those months that I have too much ground to make up for when I do switch. I AM TIRED OF FEELING BAD ALL THE TIME!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2004, 08:49 PM

Oh (((Bills)))) I'm so sorry you've been having such a rough time. It must be so hard having to deal with a doctor who is not really familiar with your condition. While you are waiting on the move, is there any possibility that you can get in to see a Rheumy, preferably one who specializes in the treatment of FMS?

Whatever happens, I agree that you need to get your GP to understand just how important it is to not interrupt your treatment, in order to prevent the FMS flare.

BTW, I've been having problems with joint pains since July 2001. In my case, all the tests for arthritis have come back negative, including the x-rays (might be because they x-rayed my hands when it was my ankles that were cause the most pain ).

I've been taking Celebrex, an NSAID, and it has been the only thing that's helped, despite the inflammation not showing up. Your body may be responding in the same manner
Unread 05-17-2004, 09:34 AM

Thanks for your reply Dany. Had to laugh about them x-raying your ankles. Sounds like you went to a doc around here.

It was a rhuemy that gave me the probable dx of FMS. However, he sent me back to my GP for treatment as he is the only rhuemy in this half of the state and has a HUGE caseload.

I am trying to impress on him (GP) just how much better I feel when I take the Soma without interruption. Some days he seem to agree and others he acts as if he has no idea what I'm talking about. It is sooo frustrating. The Feldene seems to be helping a little so, I am going to stick with it for awhile.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2004, 08:19 PM

Hi Sweetie,

Believe me hon, I do know what you are going through with this fibro. My sx really messed me up bad with it and my ra, rheumy said it was due mostly to being in stirrups for 6 1/2 hours.

I must say I had to search to find my rheumy and she is the best doctor I have ever had. I take darvocet four times a day whether I hurt or not and three flexerils. I have not heard of the med you are on but I do hope it helps you.

One great thing about my rheumy is when I have a flare up, she will give me an iv of steroids which has me feeling great the next day. I'm thankful you didn't test positive for ra, as I have that also and the surgery put it out of sight. I have had to go back to the rheumy three times after 4 weeks p/o for an iv, shot in hips, and shot in back. I go back the 20th for a recheck, since she said I would continually get worse with the ra and fibro both because of the surgery.

I pray you will get relief and your rheumy is well educated on fibro, as so many doctors aren't.

God bless and take care

:Hug:s
Unread 05-18-2004, 07:21 AM

BillsSweetie68,

I am very sorry to hear about your pain, as well as interruption in meds I hope and pray that you are able to able to get the script for Soma. Perhaps you need to see your GP again to express the urgency and how much you are suffering without it....

I had a thought while reading your post...I wonder if the Lupron is making your FMS pain worse? My experiences are different than yours but I wanted to share...I was put on Lupron before I had the hyst to see if it would help the Endo pain. It was at this time that I started having severe joint pain and was dx with Fibro. Now....Fast forward to approx 8 months after the hyst (July/01). I went off of all HRT (I had a lap - more Endo was found) and my FM symptoms got worse. My Rheumy explained to me that the lack of hormones, play a big role in the amount of joint pain I was experiencing.

I am currently on a very low dose of HRT and it has made a slight difference in my joint pain. Nothing to get up and dance about, but hey...a bit of an improvement is better than none at all

Please let us know how you make out S
Unread 05-18-2004, 07:33 AM

Hi Jude

Isn't it strange how different doctors are? I was on HRT before I started my rheumy and the first thing he did when he saw my med list was take me off HRT. (I was on premerin). His thought was that the side effects were worse than the help it gave me.
I must admit I wish I were still on it, as now I have to deal with the night sweats and hot flashes again. Will we women ever win?
Unread 05-18-2004, 08:05 AM

Richelle,

This is sooo true "Will we women ever win?" It is also interesting how every doc is different.

I was put on Premarin a few (or a couple) of months following my hyst. My doc didn't want to put me on it right away due to Endo. You know, I actually felt better emotionally when I was taken off of it? Strange eh?! I was off HRT for approx 2 years. My new Gyn wanted me to try it out...It is a very low dose, and she thought it would be good for my bone health (I was 34 when I had the hyst. and I'm approaching 38 this month). Even though I was feeling better without the HRT (besides those horrible hot flashes) she thought that I was too young to not be taking anything for the next 20 years (Natural menopause comes very late in my family).

Sorry to go on & on here But I think what I'm trying to say is, perhaps my body didn't agree with the Premarin, as I'm feeling fairly good emotionally on this new HRT. It has been my experience that my FMS pain is worse without HRT...we are all so very different...

S
Unread 05-18-2004, 12:07 PM

Yes, the thought that the Lupron might be making my FMS worse HAS occurred to me. My GP said that he doubted that was it, but wouldn't rule it out as a possibility. This is a doc that believes NOTHING is related to hormones. This is something that I will talk to my Gyn at length about before getting the next Lupron shot. My question is: How do we (women) win????????

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register