DR wont fix my bladder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

DR wont fix my bladder DR wont fix my bladder

Unread 05-14-2004, 06:58 PM
DR wont fix my bladder

I'm really confused here. i just spoke with my DR about my bladder which is already dropping, causing a bit of a leakage problem..he informed me at one of my many visits with him that 23yrs. ago when i had a c-section that they somehow tacked my bladder to the side of my uterus. he grinned like an idiot and said "we dont do that anymore" (gee thanks)

but he said at that meeting that "we" would just have to wait and see if my bladder would go back into place and then he left it at that, kinda ignored my million questions on slings etc.

on the phone awhile ago he said oh i dont do bladder repair you'll have to see a urologist AFTER the surgery if your bladder doesnt work right.. i kept asking what if , what if, and he said well if you dont urinate for a day or so, then you'll know it didnt go back into place....(gee thanks again)

he did say that there is a urologist that works in the hospital but oh he doesnt take your insurance...

my question is: what kind of problems will or can this cause if i am already having a leaking problem? the bladder is being pulled down from my uterus which is enlarged and dropping...what would be so hard in just fixing it? how soon will i know if it will work or not? he didnt seem to care enough to answer my questions....i do trust him to do the other surgery but i feel like he is leaving out an important part. what should i do? i have to have the surgery or i will be kicking my uterus around the floor its that bad. they rushed this surgery because of it...doesnt the bladder count?

he did say it would require another surgery to repair it, either a vaginal or abdominal or lap, wasnt sure of that either....should i postpone the surgery or do the wait and see thing? any suggestions, has anyone had this problem?

surgery: may 18th TAH with BSO also cysto with stents

Bibz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2004, 07:06 PM
DR wont fix my bladder

I was having trouble prior to my surgery (TAH-BSO) with having to go all the time. It turned out my fibroid had pushed my bladder above my belly button and really distorted everthing and stretched some bands that lead to my uretha, Can't remember the name. He had to call in a uro-gyno Dr. To assist during the surgery. I do not see why your Dr could not do the same. I do think one surgery should be enough. I would go for a second opinion. Putting off your surgery if needed to get to a Dr. who would listen and who cared. Surgery is not an easy thing why go through it twice.
Unread 05-14-2004, 07:53 PM
DR wont fix my bladder

I got 3 opinions before I had my surgery. The 3rd one was from a Uro-Gynecologist, and I had her do the surgery. I, too, had uterine and bladder prolapse. She did everything, the TAH-BSO and the vaginal and bladder repairs. I figure if anyone is going to do that type of repair, I want someone who does it all the time. (My general gyn said he could do it, but I said No thanks).

I would see a Uro-Gyn and have her/him do all the work at the same time. It's like 2 surgeries rolled into one, but they CAN be done together - mine was. Who wants 2 separate surgeries if you don't have to? I'm recovering just fine and the surgery went great!

Take your time deciding who will do this surgery and the very best of luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2004, 08:03 PM
DR wont fix my bladder

Hi bibz,

I had my hyst for a prolapsed uterus, bowel (rectocele) and bladder (cystocele). In my case, my doctor repaired the cystocele and rectocele at the same time as my hyst by removing the excess skin from my vaginal walls, and then stitching the walls back together, and I didn't need further surgery for my bladder, but you might not need the same type of repair.

You mentioned that you are being rushed into this surgery because your uterine prolapse is so bad, and so I hesitate to suggest that you might want to obtain a second opinion from another gynecologist or from a urologist, but normally that's what I'd suggest, if you had time.

How about calling your doctor tomorrow and asking if it would be safe for you to postpone your hyst a week or two while you get an appointment with a urologist (or even better, with a urologist/gynecologist)?

I wish you the very best and hope that you'll keep us posted on what you decide to do.

S
Unread 05-14-2004, 08:05 PM
DR wont fix my bladder

Bibz,

Please get a second or even a third opinion. Why have two surgeries when you could have everything taken care of in one?

s
Cat
Unread 05-14-2004, 08:26 PM
DR wont fix my bladder

I'm no expert but I would certainly get another opinion as the other ladies have said. Your doctor doesn't sound like he's too concerned about what's ultimately best for you. It just seems to me that if he can't answer your questions or repair your bladder then he shpuld refer you to someone who can. Just my opinion. I hope it all works out for the best for you
Unread 05-15-2004, 07:39 AM
DR wont fix my bladder

Get a second opinion. Your doctor sounds too unconcerned and uninterested. Mine said my bladder had only dropped a little bit and that he was pretty sure he could give it the support it needed when he put everything back together down there. He did a great job and I have NO more leakage.
Unread 05-16-2004, 05:40 PM
DR wont fix my bladder

Please find a urogynecologist! There is no reason to have 2 surgeries when these problems can be taken care of at the same time.

I cannot tell you the relief I felt when I finally found a urogyn. I feel like finally, I am in the right hands.

Your doctor sounds very unsympathetic and uninterested to me. I'd ask for a referral to a urogyn. To find one in your area, try visiting www.augs.org.

Good Luck!
Lynn
Grade 2 uterine prolapse, grade 3 cystocele...trying to decide whether or not to have repairs/hyst.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register