Dealing with knowing you have Cancer. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dealing with knowing you have Cancer. Dealing with knowing you have Cancer.

Unread 05-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Dealing with knowing you have Cancer.

I am 30 yrs old and I ahve been told that I have Complex Hyperplasia. I am very scared at the fact that I mat have to have a Hysterectomy. I have never had childeren and I would love to have kids. I guess why I am writing is for answers on how to deal with this. If someone can give me some advice I would be most grateful. Thank you and May God Bless you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2004, 12:38 PM

Gizmo,

I am so sorry you are going through this. Have you been to a gyn oncologist? There are many grades of complex hyperplasia, and a gyn oncologist may be able to advise you on whether you can wait and have children or whether you need a hyst in the short term.

Did your gyn tell you whether or not there was atypia and what the grade was? You should make sure to bring the complete path report to the gyn oncologist if you elect to make an appointment

Dorrie
Unread 05-15-2004, 04:36 PM

Gizmo,

I agree with Dorrie that a gyn/onc is a good way to go. The more information you have, the better.

My cancer occurred in my late forties and since I'm a member of a monastery, having children wasn't an issue for me, but I will say that, as scary as it was back then (Jan-Feb 2000) the surgery came to be, for me, a truly health-giving thing. I FELT healthier (even though I'd not felt sick with the cancer, because it was in such an early stage and I didn't even know I had it) after the surgery, and not just physically but in every way. My life took on a greater "normalcy" after having had cancer. Other women have had that same experience.

So don't let the word "cancer" scare you, except to prod you to get the best care that you can. Don't hesitate to get a second opinion. And by all means don't hesitate to come and vent with your Hystersisters!

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2004, 07:30 PM

Hi Gizmo, I also hope you will talk with a gyn/onc.
There can be alternative treatments and a good gyn/onc will be able to tell you if you will be able to avoid or, at least delay, a hysterectomy. FYI, I was post-menapausal when diagnosed with complex hyperplasia with atypia and initially had wanted to avoid surgery. I discussed possible alternative treatments with two gyn/onc and both said they would have recommended trying hormone therapy had I been in my child bearing years. Apparently hormone therapy has a significantly greater success rate in younger women than women over 50.
Please let us know how you are doing. s, peggiesue
Unread 05-15-2004, 07:55 PM

I am going to the gyn/onc on Monday so I guess I will know more then. As to Dorries question about having complex hyperplasia with atypia my gyn didnt say that I had that Just the complex hyperplasia. I pormise I will keep you all up to date after Monday. Just knowing that there are other peopel who know what I am goign through makes me feel some what better. Thank all of you who replyed.
Unread 05-16-2004, 07:21 AM

Hi GizmoQ8,
I was diagnosed with stage 3 uterine cancer in 2001. My gyn-onc told me that if it had been really early stage he would have tried to treat it with hormones. In my case he suggested hysterectomy which I underwent.
Nobody likes to be diagnosed with cancer. It is best to be looked at by an gyn-onc. The sooner you catch anything the more options you will have to treat the condition.
I am curious- what were your symptoms? I keep wondering at what stage of my symptoms my hyperplasia turned into cancer? My earliest symptoms was that I started spotting on the sixth and seventh day of my perods and also lost a lot of weight. I was ony 33 yrs at that time. Knowledge is power. I am glad you found this great website because there is plenty of information and support here.
Good luck to you.
Unread 05-16-2004, 07:30 AM

Yellowrose,
I ahve been bleeding nonstop for aslong as I can remember but it has been really bad the last three yrs. I was having pelvic pain, back pain(which I still do). I went in for a pap they ended up doing an ultrasound and found out that my uterus walls were 18.5 millimeters thick so I have a D and C. Then my results came back from that and it was found that I had cancer. I am just beyond myself for I dont know what to do. I am scared. I know God will help me some how. Thank you for replying yellowrose.
Unread 05-17-2004, 12:52 PM

Hi,
I am sorry that you are going through this but keep in mind that you are not alone. Being afraid is a very common reaction to a cancer diagnosis. However, everyday the treatments are improving and they are a lot of cancer survivors who are leading a healthy life again.
A newly cancer diagnosed person goes through a lot of emotions-shock, confusion, why me phase, a lot of crying, anger, prayer. These are all common and part of the healing process.
It sounds like a very long path and sometimes one may feel they can't go through with the treatment but take one step at a time.
Discuss all your options with your doctor. If possible take a friend with you to the doctor. Jot down questions you want to ask and write down the answers too. Research and ask your doctor for all options you have. I have been there and I and others here can tell you cancer treatment is doable. You can get through this. Good luck.
Unread 05-18-2004, 09:21 AM

Hello Everyone,

I went to my gyn/onc yesterday and found out that what I have is complex hyperplasia with atyipa and he told me that it can be treated with placing a IUD in my uterus. I was relieved that it can be cured. I have to go back every 3 months to have byopses done but thats ok. Everyone thank you for all your kind words and surpport. May God please you all!!!
Unread 05-18-2004, 01:12 PM

Yippee...... I am doing the happy dance for you. Go and celebrate that you don't have to undergo hysterectomy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register