I need to vent............ Sorry | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need to vent............ Sorry I need to vent............ Sorry

Unread 05-15-2004, 03:06 PM
I need to vent............ Sorry

Hi all. A couple of weeks ago I posted about not feeling well and my side hurts and all that. I made my Dr's appt and when I went to it, my Dr. didn't see any reason why I was hurting and plainly told me that since I had a complete hysterectomy I couldn't get my endo. back. I have to be seen by a military dr. because hubby is in the military, I have to be referred out to a gyn. I can understand that, and normally it's not a problem for them to refer me out but when I asked her to for a referral to a gyn she refused to give me one, stating they probably would not want to see me because of the type of surgery I had. I was :burning: mad.(TAH/BSO) She did give me a referral out for a cat scan or is it a MRI so they can check and see if there's anything there. If they see something wrong, then she will give me a referral to a gyn. I am so upset, because I know my body better than anyone. Who is she to tell me that I don't feel pain. I know pain and it hurts. She said that I could have pulled a muscle and that's why I'm hurting. Hello???? I know what a pulled muscle feels like. This is definately not the case. She wouldn't give me anything stronger that 800 motrin so I'm taking that with tylenol. I'm sorry to vent like this but hopefully there is someone out there can help shed some light on this for me. Maybe someone is having the same problem as me and how they went about getting to see a new dr. Man, I wish I could see my dr. in CA. I miss him so much. Oh well, that I can't help. I knew I would have to find a new dr. eventually because hubby is military and we move every 3-4 years. So that's that. I just want to because many of you may know from my recent postings hubby is about to leave for 45 days and he's been here for me since my surgery 2 years ago. Our children are older, my son graduating from high school this year and hubby will be at sea, one of my daughters is 15 and the youngest is 11. I just can't tell them how rotten I feel.
Thank you all for letting me vent and get my frustrations out.

Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2004, 03:25 PM

(((Tammy))):

You still have to have periodic vaginal vault smears -- can you talk her into a referral for that, citing the fact that you should have special experience in obtaining Pap samples with a cervical cuff? That might be enough to validate your request for a referral out. Failing that, is it possible to find another doctor within the clinic, one better attuned to your specific needs?

There is research evidence to show that endo can be a systemic disease, and those of us with endo do have higher proportions of other auto-immune problems. You might want to ask her about her endo experience, and then let her know that a huge Swedish study some years ago proved these associations -- if she isn't familiar with endo, then that may be your opportunity to get a new doctor that way.

Good luck! I sure hope you get some relief soon. It is also possible that you have some adhesion problems -- not only are they common, as we all know, to this surgery, but they seem to be worse in those of us with endo, partially because of the inflammatory conditions that enable endo to thrive and partially because of the increased blood supply to all the endo in the pelvic cavity. It's tricky to diagnose, either way.

You might want to ask about some of the newer anti-inflammatories that aren't as hard on the stomach, like Vioxx or Celebrex or Bextra. It might be worth a try!

Audrey
Unread 05-15-2004, 03:29 PM

(((Tammy)))
I'm so sorry that your visit with the doctor wasn't more productive. I remember one doc I went to suggested the pulled muscle thing, I just rolled my eyes at him. Never did go back. Geesh, I don't exercise or anything so how in the heck would I pull a muscle? Not to mention the length of time I was having pain. Anyways....enough about me. Is there any way you can get a referral to see someone else? Can you try another family doc??? Can you complain to the military insurance people?

At least the doc did schedule for a test. Better to rule things out. You never know Tammy, it may just show something. Kind of sad that we actually hope for a test to show something isn't it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2004, 05:06 PM

Dear ((Tammy))

I am sorry that the doctor wouldn't give you a referral. That is the pits.

The bummer is that endometriosis and adhesions usually don't show up on tests like CT scans and MRIs.

It does seem like the doctor you saw doesn't understand endometriosis... since it can recur in women after a TAH/BSO, especially if you are taking hormone replacement.

I am curious as to why the military insurance will not let you go see a GYN without a referral. Several years ago a bill was passed that required health insurance plans to allow women to see a GYN without first needing to get a referral from their primary care doctors. It seems unfair that military insurance would still require it if it is against the law for all other health insurance carriers. Perhaps you could look into that.... I don't know.... just a thought ... I know it was a great relief to me when I no longer had to go through my GP to see my GYN. I think that was about 5-7 years ago.

Best of luck finding an answer.

Sarah
Unread 05-16-2004, 04:33 AM

Hi TGalvin;
I am guessing you had your surgery at a different base then you are stationed at currently? (That would answer the question as to why you can't see a GYN without a referral as once you have been seen by another doctor such as GYN at a base you are allowed to go back to that same GYN without a referral).
If it is the case that you are now at a different base, you do have the option to call central appointments and request a new doctor! You do not have to keep a doctor if you do not like them! You can go through as many doctors as you want to if you don't like them! That is your right! Also, call the patient advocate and let them know you are not satisfied, that is why there are there for you, the patient!
I know how you feel about having to change doctors so much, I just got mine all "broken in" and she's leaving! Her replacement is a total moron in my opinion. I have been through two neuroligists too. I do like the one I have now a lot so I am sure he will be leaving soon!
I wish we were at the same base, I'd help you out. Hang in there. Take advantage of that "family support" while your husband is a sea!
Best wishes to you!
Unread 05-16-2004, 06:58 AM

Tammy,

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I know how you feel though. My dh was in the Navy for almost 12 years and I had some real idiot doctors in that time frame!!!

I think you got some really good advice already--like going to another doctor in the GYN clinic. You never know, the next one may be totally different. Keep trying different ones. At times when I would get desperate, I would just go to the family practice clinic or walk-in clinic to get a different doctor who would actually listen to me. I also used Patient Advocacy once and they are there to help you. I am not sure what they could do, but you never know till you try.

I had a hysterectomy a year and a half ago (keeping only one ovary--everything else is gone) and since then I have had three surgeries ALL showing ENDO!! A hyst is definately not the cure for endo. I learned this the hard way. I still deal with endo pain and mostly now, adhesion pain. I think that can be worse than endo because at least with endo most Drs are willing to go in and "take a look" but with adhesions noone wants to touch you (just my opinion!) What I am trying to say is that you could have developed an adhesion from the previous surgery that is causing the pain or it could be endo returning/still there.

Please hang in there. We are all here for you anytime you need to vent!!

Hugs,
Becky

PS..My dh was out to sea all the time when my kids were young, so I feel for you sweetie!! I hope with your kids being older it will help when he is away.
Unread 05-16-2004, 07:01 AM

Gosh it makes me so angry to read about things like that when Drs assume they knowbetter that the patientis NOT in pain whe n they are .

my experience is not gynae related but this was what happened and what I did

I had two hard and hot patches on my face right next to my nose. The irritation was growing and it was itchy .

I saw a Dr at the local poly clinic and asked for a referral to the skin centre . She refused saying that she could treat skin problems.Excuse me my skin just got worse and to the point where I was raw and bleeding .

Finally I got fed up and just never went back . I called the skincentre myself and made anappointment . Granted thjat I had to dig into my pockets and pay extra as a walk in private patient , It brought some results .

My eczema is now under control and thats the reason why I dont wear my glasses often in this tropica; heat .

IT irritates my skin . And because of GPC ( giant pappilary conjuntivitis ) in the past Im not an ideal candidate for contacts either. I canonly use either hard lenses or daily disposibles .

Its either that or lasic surgery which is expensive and theres no guarantee of success.m and I type alot . I often dont see the mistake because when I try to proof read I realise now that my mind auto corrects the mistake and it appears correct to me even though in my mind I know how to spell it .

That aside i think that sometimes one has to simply act . SIT back and listento the Dr that says you arent in pain when you are .. you may end up suffering and paying for one Drs mistake

mei
Unread 05-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Thank you so much

Thank you all for all the help. I didn't know about the advocasy (sp) program. I will do that tomorrow. Right now, I think my feeling are so hurt, I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm getting the raw end of the deal. You know what I mean? But I will talk to who ever I need to and do whatever it takes to get out and see another doctor. The dr. I see now is going to have a baby and will be leaving in July for maternity leave so I think that will be a good chance to "test the waters" with a new dr.
Once again thank you for all the responses. Please keep them coming.................. I would like to gather as much information as I can and be ready when I see the dr.

Thanks again,

Tammy
Unread 05-17-2004, 06:18 AM

Hi, TGalvin!
I'm sorry you are having a rough time with this Dr. It is safe to say that SOME of them give medicine a very bad name!

I think you have gotten great advice from the other sisters. I just want to point out that taking tylenol and motrin together for more than two days or so is not advised. (my dh is a DR so I hear it all the time) I don't know if it's from stomach irritation or if it gets hard on the kidneys and liver. You may want to make a phone call to your MD's office and explain that you aren't getting good pain relief with the motrin alone and see if they recommend anything else. Also mention that you are taking the tylenol with it.

Best of luck to you - maybe your Dr will have her baby early?????

Jo
Unread 05-18-2004, 04:58 AM

Hi TGalvin;
A little more information for you. In every military clinic is posted the name and a picture of the patient advocates! Do not hesitate requesting a new doctor and you do not have to wait until July to do it! It is your right to have quality care and if you are not getting it, find a doctor who will give it to you.
Also, my husband is air force so maybe navy is different but, do you not have a person or persons whom your husband works with that will assist you? (Like when my husband is deployed I have several people in his branch to help me with anything I need).
Call the central appointment line and get a new doctor today!
Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register