beach volleyball | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

beach volleyball beach volleyball

Unread 05-15-2004, 06:21 PM
beach volleyball

I have written here a few times, but mostly I read what other women have to say. I have absolutely no symptoms and after my doctor watched my fibroid grow slowly for years, it suddenly doubled in size from 8 cm. to 15 1/2 cm. this last year. Since I am 53 and perimenopausal, he recommended an immediate TAH. The thought of going to the castle has me stunned and feeling very alone. I live 8 months of the year for the 4 months of summer that we have and during that time I play beach volleyball - it starts on Monday. I got my castle date - May 28th - and I am less than enthused since my whole summer will be ruined and I am not even going to get the relief out of it that many women who post here do. I had a CAT scan today to see if there is any ovary involvement since he can't see my ovaries in the sonogram and I have to wait until Tuesday to hear the results. I am terrified to find out the news and I am depressed about this whole thing. Most of the women here with large fibroids find that they are benign after surgery so I am hoping that mine are, too. Do you think that I will be back to playing volleyball in 6 weeks like they say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2004, 08:24 PM
beach volleyball

Hello Flowertime
Um....seriously hun, the beach volleyball at 6 weeks post-op seems a bit optimistic. I don't know for sure because I'm not a doc, but from all my research here and elsewhere, it seems pretty clear that 6-8 weeks is just your initial recovery time.

Your incision will likely be healed in 6 weeks, but just remember there will be a gazillion internal stitches as well. There's some major work being done in there, and it takes a LOOOOONNNGGG time to completely heal. It can take up to a year to heal completely.

I'm sure you will be up to some activity after 6 weeks, but beach volleyball is very strenuous, and you only have one chance to heal properly, so you don't want to rush it.

Is there any possibility of postponing until the fall? If I read your post correctly, you don't have any bothersome symptoms? I am assuming that your doc wants to do the hyst asap because the fibroid has grown so much in the past year? I wonder if they couldn't do another scan in say...a month to see if it's still growing rapidly? Again hun you'll have to check with your doctor....I just wouldn't want to see you rush back to your favorite sport, and compromise your health and healing.

Wishing you much
s
Tam
Unread 05-15-2004, 09:49 PM
the wonderful summer

You sound like me! I am 54 1/2, and have fibroids but they are causing me more pain that I like to admit. I have off summers, and even thought about waiting until the school year to schedule this and use up sick leave. Then I thought what if I don't feel that great and have to go to work after I used up all my sick leave? That would be a lot of pressure on me. So I am going in the end of June and if I am not feeling up to par at the end of August I can go back part time for a long time in September and October.

WE are like you here in Minnesota-lots of winter, small summer. I LOVE to camp, bike, kayak, swim, hike, golf, sit in the hot tub and I HATE to give all that up for the whole summer (I do have a few weeks in June before)

What has helped me with the decision is that there is really no good time to do this, and if there is something going on to make them grow, you won't enjoy the summer worrying about it anyhow. Right now, I can't think of hardly anything else, so I decided not to wait the whole summer. Then my husband told me today I am walking like I have been shot in the hip. I didn't even realize how much I have been accomodating for this.

You could talk to your doctor about your concerns and see what he/she thinks. Or get a second opinion. My second opinion said, "What are you waiting for?" Then I also thought, what if I wait and it gets worse, or compromises some other organ besides my bladder that is being pushed around?

It's nice to hear about someone in my age range that is struggling with the decision and with "the lost summer".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2004, 02:26 AM
beach volleyball

I think it is always wise to get a second, or even a third opinion.

I understand your frustration - but I also know that there is no way on earth I could have (or would have dared) to play ANY sport within 6 weeks of my surgery - at 8 weeks I was very very cautiously going to the gym for light exercise. I know that you can get knocked by co-players during volleyball, and having a jostled tumble would really NOT be good for you.

Fibroids are almost always benign, but if they start growing rapidly drs get concerned for our well being- I think it would not hurt to get a second opinion and see if there are other options for you. In many cases the fibroid can be removed without doing a hysterectomy - I don't know if that would be true for you, but it is worth checking out.

good luck.
Unread 05-16-2004, 06:06 AM
beach volleyball

I agree with the other ladies here--Can you postpone or get another opinion?

Although I had TAH with an unbelievably quick recovery, I would never recommend playing sports 6 wks. post op. At 5 weeks I had already been working for 3 wks, and we had a "fun day" at school. I was in the gym--honestly (I swear!) forgot about the surgery... I ended up playing "keep away" with 2 other high school students. This, of course, involves lots of dodging, shifting, jumping. I didn't hurt, but my belly did swell that night. It was too soon. I felt SO stupid for being so careless. The other really stupid part about this is that others see me running around like a maniac and then of COURSE they assume I'm healed 100%. Sometimes I almost (and I really mean ALMOST, lol) wish I had a bit more pain to remind myself that I am still healing.

It's MAJOR surgery, whether you feel crummy or great afterwards. Please be careful...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register