Fibromyalgia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-17-2004, 01:10 AM
Fibromyalgia

Hello ladies,

I hope I can post this here, and that anyone can help.

I have not been here in quite a long time. Been busy, as I am getting ready to retire (Army). Here is minamial background. Had my TVH in Sept 03, went back to work in Nov 03, believe me I didn't feel like going back, but, the Army said I was good to go. Well, I am the type person to deal with pain, so I waited till Dec 03 to ASK to go to sick call, my hips, shoulders, and knees were hurting terriably. Well, First Sergeant said, NO, we all hurt, and to suck it up. So, I did, till, Feb 04, it go to bad, this time I didn't ASK to go to sick call, I made an appointment!!!

I think it was to late by then, as I couldn't hardly move my arms, still can't get them above my shoulders. The sick call PA, sent me to a neurologyst, he didn't know what was wrong, he sent me to a Rhumatologyst...he Diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia. Do any of you have this motion stealing disorder? If you do what meds are you on. I was on Elivil, didn't work, Clebrex and Flexaril, both didn't work. I go to see the Rhummy. again on the 27 and would like some ideas as what I can ask him to perscribe. I know it is trile and error to find the right meds, but, I am new to this disorder and need help.

BJ
P.S. I was fine till my surgery, is this related to the TVH, a so to speak side effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2004, 01:51 AM
Fibromyalgia

Yes, I can fully understand what you are going through. I had my surgery in June 2003, by Oct 2003, I'm feeling pain in my neck, shoulders, legs, back and not to mention total exhaustion. I called my Ob - he said it wasn't due to my hyster. I then saw my family dr who referred me to a rheumy...he dx'd me w/ Fibromyalgia in Jan 04. I never heard of such a thing. I began doing some research and determined that trauma on the body and your diet plays an important part of having fibro. Dr put me on several meds....I don't like taking pills so I went the natural route...I starting taking 2 tbsp of flaxseed oil, one-a-day maximum multi-vitamins.....I am now able to function back to normal. I still wake up stiff, and sore most days, but I am determined to feel well. I began walking also. But the biggest thing that helped me was prayer.

Hang in there and take it one step at a time. I'll lift you up in prayer.
Unread 05-17-2004, 02:50 AM
Thank you

Because I have absolutly had it. It take me a hour to shower, then the dredded......I have to get dressed now!!!!! OMG.....that is beyond painful!!!! I hate it. I cry alot.....because of the pain....I just wanna die some days.
BJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2004, 03:32 AM
fibromyalgia

I've had it on and off for years. With me it's NERVES that make it worse. I just had a vag hyst and I'm NOT going to get fibro back again, I promise!

I think it's like a warning sign, we're doing too much, we're not happy, something's not right in our life. Listen to what your darling body is telling u. I tried arthritus med can't think of the darn name, which didn't dint the pain.

Maybe it's not nerves with u but it sure was with me darling.

Improve your life, make changes and see if things improve? Get rid of the <admin. snip - please don't use *** to circumvent the website censor> in your life and anyone who makes u feel bad about yourself. And REST alot it's a lot like chronic fatigue with me.

I pray it goes away like mine did and stays away huuuuuuuuugs.
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:43 AM
Fibromyalgia again....

It is my understanding that Fm is....

a disorder of the Central nervous system (CNS)and Musculoskeletal system. Thus making the pain I feel because of the disorder of the CNS more intensified. So, in fact the pain is not as real as I feel. Lord know I have many painful days, and weeks. So, why when I go to the doctors they want to perscribe me all these pain pill, that don't seem to work. Instead why don't they "FIX" my CNS.

From all that I have read, the FM happened because of trauma, or viral infection. Messed up my pain receptors in my brain. So fix that instead of masking my pain with drugs.

I also know that there is a whole host of other things that FM brings on such as: Irritable Bowel, Genitourinary, Headaches, Blurred vision, and many many more. So again I ask why cover these things up with pain pills, fix the CNS.

I tested positive, so to speak, with 16 of the 18 pressure points. I believe I was fine till I had a Hysterectomy last year. Even that went fine, nothing happened out of the ordinary. So it still leads me to believe if the doctors could "fix" my CNS, get it back on track...I may be able to get my life back.

We have many doctors out there doing tests after tests to find out why this is happening...well, I thought they knew, the CNS is out of wack. So why don't they just figure a way to get it back on track? I am almost certain they have drugs that can do that. They have drugs for everything else.

I am open to any thoughts, and rebuttals to my theroy. I just want my life back.

BJ
Unread 05-17-2004, 06:01 AM
Fibromyalgia

Hi, BJ!
I have fibromyalgia too (so they say - I'm not sure I believe them yet!).

At this point, there is no "cure" for FM. Only palliative measures. I have read literature that says increasing the vitamin B's will help as well as magnesium. TO be honest, I haven't tried it so I don't know. My neurologist also said that aerobic exercise is supposed to help alleviate the symptoms. Of course, he was expecting my symptoms to start subsideing about 4 months ago and they haven't, so he wants to see me again.

I hope you can find answers that work for you.

Jo
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:21 AM
Fibromyalgia

Hi BJ, I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few years ago so am all too familiar with what at times feels like pain that will NEVER end. It is my understanding that noone really knows why people develop fibromyalgia which is why there is not a cure. However the following has helped me:
*a mattress "topper" helps with a more comfortable sleep.
*pacing yourself (believe me the dishes will wait for you!).
*Don't be tempted to become wonderwoman if you have a better day, instead enjoy the break.
*Enlist help.
*Check out the internet - there are some really good sites out there (personally I would avoid ones that are advertising products).
* perhaps there is a support group near to where you live where you can meet people with similar problems.
*Give yourself time to come to terms with what you have been diagnosed with. It has already robbed you of some of your "previous" life and sometimes that needs mourning so that you can move forward.
*I personally haven't found any tablet that helps - a bath or shower can help with muscle aches and is worth the extra effort (maybe a trip to a warm swimming pool would also be helpful).
*Try to stick to regular bedtimes (exhaustion can be one of the worst aspects of fibromyalgia).
*All is not "gloom and doom" with fibromyalgia - you do tend to get "good days" and "bad days" and if you are lucky even good weeks! As I've said, enjoy the better days. Some of your pain may well be still part of the recovery process and so part of it may well get better with time. For bad days I try to remember "this too shall pass"!!! (I know, I know, easier said than done!).
*Treat yourself once in a while.

Sorry I don't have any MAGIC answers (how I wish I had some of them!!) but I am very confident that you will find out what does and does not work for you. Finally, your pain is very real, as any fibromyalgia sufferer will know, so don't be "fobbed off" - there are some very nice people out there who could help you.
BEST OF LUCK!
Unread 05-17-2004, 08:18 AM
i know exactly how you feel

hi there, i have suffered with fm for over 10 years now. The symptoms come and go, good days, bad days. I am on flexoral at bedtime to help me sleep. The key to managing fm is getting plenty of rest and exercise. I have a problem with the exercise, as I really don't want to do it if I am exhausted!!!! But, I really feel that what keeps me functioning ( I also tested positive for 16 out of 18 trigger points) is Cranial Sacral Therapy. I go once a week and the therapist does a combination of deep tissue massage, cranial sacral, myofasial release, and a few other things that I can't remember right now--the fog brain that comes with fm!!. This is considered to be an "alterative therapy" that insurance doesn't pay for, but, believe me, I really and truely feels that this is what keeps me functioning and having a normal life. I take longer to recover from the flu, colds, etc. and at holiday time, I know that I will "crash" after all is done. But, I can still go to work, take care of my husband and kids, and live.
One problem with FM along with any disease like it, is that we look healthy and fine, just tired. It's hard sometimes for my family to realize that I need my down time to recoup, but I find that when I speak up they remember and take over the dishes, laundry etc until I am back up to speed.

Good luck, Keep positive, and Smile

Carol
Unread 05-17-2004, 08:20 AM
question

I'm curious if you gals with FM see a neurologist, rheumatologist, or what for your regular following of the FM?
Thanks.
Jo
Unread 05-17-2004, 09:13 AM
Fibromyalgia

Count me in as a sister who has been dx with probable FM. This was the summer before my TAH/LSO in 2002. I am still having problems controlling this monster. However, I feel a lot of my problem is having a GP that really doesn't understand FM.

I think UK had some wonderful, wonderful suggestions. And I whole-heartedly feel that lifestyle changes are our best defense against flares. But, having been there, I do know that sometimes they just aren't enough. Personally, (and of course every person is different) I have found that take Soma 4 times a day without fail, helps me the most. I have recently started taking Feldene which is a NSAID and it seems to be helping a bit too.

Good luck to you on finding something that helps turn those bad days into good ones.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register