I chose this, so why so sad? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I chose this, so why so sad? I chose this, so why so sad?

Unread 05-17-2004, 07:19 AM
I chose this, so why so sad?

Hi ladies, this site has been so helpful - except for one thing. I could really use a hug. Had surgery May 14 and all went fine...today the kids are off to school hubby off to work and i am just sitting here crying but trying not to because it hurts to cry. Why am I so emotional - I thot i'd be looking forward to these days at home by myself???? anyone else been there???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2004, 07:38 AM

Runningal,
Many many big hugs to you!!!! I know exactly what you're talking about. I too had the random crying spells for no reason but just know that it will pass once your hormones level out. My surgery was Feb. 3 and I feel 100% better than before. Recovery is not as easy as we'd like but it does get better. I had a really rough time too and am still recovering but now that everything is evening out, it's so much better!! Hang in there, it WILL get better.

Hugs to you!
Starr1
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:46 AM

runninggal,

First let me give you a big

I am 5 days post-op. I've had to and keep telling myself everyday even today with the gas pains,having a bowel movement,getting up to take my short walks. That THIS IS WORTH IT, THIS PAIN WILL PASS, AND I WILL FEEL SO MUCH BETTER! I don't miss the pain from my alien infected uterus,the visit from Aunt Flo, taking bcp's every day. I noticed on you profile that you didn't keep your ovaries. Have you started on HRT? Maybe your body needs another day to get adjusted. But this is normal for us to be sad and have mixed emotions.

I hope this helps,
Here's another big for you to help you thru today. If you need to talk I'm sure I'll burn up this lap-top in the next 6 weeks

Kids at school DH at work.

Jane,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2004, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the hugs!! It is easier to deal with the physical pain vs. this emotional stuff. I have started hormones, some patch thing...can't remember the name right now...ugh, sniff, sniff...I hate being helpless and teary so thanks for sharing.
runningal
Unread 05-17-2004, 08:41 AM

Grab a box of tissues and let it go! I encouraged my DBF to go back to work after the first 2 days home,then cried all day for being left alone. The first couple of weeks were an emotional free-for-all for me. I cried about anything.Had an absolute gusher over a dead squirrel in the road.It got better.Remember,take it all at your own pace.
Hugs to you!
Unread 05-17-2004, 10:35 AM

Think about all you've been through-the choices you had to make prior to the hysterectomy, the surgery itself, the pain, the pain meds., the changes in hormones and in your body itself.

I also chose to have a hysterectomy...it was not my only option, but I decided that it was the best option for me. I'm at 2-1/2 weeks post-op, and for the first time since my surgery, I'm beginning to feel somewhatt sad at times. While in the hospital and for 2 weeks after, I was probably the most upbeat, optomistic woman who's ever had a hysterectomy (just kidding, I'm exaggerating), but you get the point.

I think the anesthesia & pain meds. gave me a sense of well being & euphoria...now, that's wearing off, and boredom is setting in.

I'm beginning to mourn the children I'll never have (I don't have any kids). I'm beginning to feel "different" from my women friends who have kids....I'm not sure how to exactly explain it, but I feel like I'm different.

I think everyone deals with their hysterectomy in their own way emotionally. I try to remind myself everyday, just how much courage it took to make the choice that I did. I try to remind myself that in the long run, when I'm physically healed, of how much better I'll feel.

It's natural to be sad. Just try to remember that every woman who posts here has either already had a hysterectomy or will be having one. We're all here to listen, to vent, to care.

Robin
Unread 05-17-2004, 11:23 AM

Thanks Robin, yeah, you are right - we spend sooo much time thinking about the physical side and all the decsions, to have this hys or not, then what to remove and on and on...i never prepared for the emotional side. That is a roller coaster ride in itsef. Thanks for the encouraging words.
Unread 05-17-2004, 11:54 AM

Hi Runningal.

First of all, big to you!

Your surgery was just 3 days ago so you are in the *very* early stages of recovery. Your body is going through many physical changes right now, (the hormonal issues that you mention, the anesthesia that stays in your system for up to several weeks, the pain meds that you're on, etc). Major surgery is both physically and emotionally traumatic. Eventhough many of us choose this surgery, it is sometimes difficult to adapt to the initial physical and emotional changes we experience.

I had a similar problem in that a few days after my surgery, I became morose and tearful. It especially occured after the first week when DH returned to work, the phone calls from concerned friends slowed down, etc. I became quite lonely and caught up in my thoughts. My doctor assured me this was common and was the result of the issues discussed above. (Almost a "letdown" effect after a major event). Assuming you are normally a very busy person, sometimes we feel this way when we don't have as much to occupy our time. Many others on this site have reported similar feelings. For the vast majority of us, these feelings
diminish and our spirits lift as we advance in our recoveries. If they don't, the doctor can recommend something, (either a change in your hormones...although it's still early for that, etc.)

You are still so early in the recovery process, is it possible to have a friend or family member stay with you, (or at least visit throughout the day to talk and/or help you out)? Socializing, (mixed with ample amounts of rest, of course), may help lift your spirits.

Know that you are not alone. You have lots of support available here. Take care and I hope you're feeling better soon.
Unread 05-17-2004, 12:15 PM

Runninggal you sound just like me. Today is the 1st day back to work for my husband and both my kids are in school. I felt myself getting down so I pulled out a recipe and made muffins and bread!! I am only 17 days post-op but the more I get around the better I feel. I only have 1 ovary left and I'm hoping it'll be enough. Hang in there!!
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:10 PM
why so sad

Hi,
I too am feeling really sad on day 5 post op. I had a Lavh and kept my ovaries so it's not all hormones. I think it just hits us that we have forever changed something about ourselves, and in my case I didn't really process it before hand. I do have 4 wonderful children, but am only 39 and just started thinking. Plus my Dr. didn't find ANYTHING to account for my pain and I am still having it. I am thinking did I do this all for nothing? So in my case I am afraid my pain will continue with my hormonal cycle. I pray we have all made the best decisions for ourselves with the information we were given and the future will be bright and pain free!
Take care
Stacy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register