Anyone had Vaginal prolapse repair? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone had Vaginal prolapse repair? Anyone had Vaginal prolapse repair?

Unread 05-17-2004, 09:16 AM
Anyone had Vaginal prolapse repair?

Hi everyone! I am so thankful that I found this forum today because it addresses many concerns that I share with others and now I know that I will never be alone with my fears. And I have a really big one right now. Back in Oct. of 2003 I came home from a day of shopping, library, etc. which involved a lot of squatting, stooping, bending, etc. and realized that I had a full, puddling feeling which I blamed on a re-occurrence of bladder prolapse and assumed that it was worsening. I already knew that I needed the suspension(sling) repair but was putting it off until early spring.

I saw my GYN to arrange surgery in March, but she took one look and told me that my vagina was completely prolapsed! Explained the basics of the repair but also that the outcome was not always satisfactory and that she had two failures, which just about caused hysterics on my part - so I truly need to talk to someone who has undergone this repair, or at least those who have this prolapse and have found ways to deal with it. I'm an emotional and physical wreck right now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2004, 12:48 PM

(((MizJudy))) Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you had a hysterectomy yet, or is that planned as part of the solution to the prolapse problem?

I had my hyst with BSO and A&P repairs (had both bladder (cystocele) and rectal (rectocele) prolapses in addition to a severe uterine prolapse). Everything was done vaginally. Since then I haven't had any further problems with prolapse, but I am very careful not to do any heavy lifting.

s,
-Linda
Unread 05-17-2004, 01:41 PM

Thanks for replying Linda! I had the hyst (total vaginal) due to uterine prolapse and external fibroid cysts, plus cystocele and rectocele repairs, the rectocele being one of the largest my GYN had ever repaired. This was done in October of 1993 and I did very well (after all the recovery complications) until Feb. of 2002 when I had to constantly lift a close relative who developed RA - I actually felt everything pull loose while lifting her from the potty. Had the confirming checkup and planned on repairs in fall of 2002 but the same relative became addicted to meds for the RA pain and I had to keep her in my home for over 7 months. She was able to be on her own in April of 2003 and by that time the returned cystocele/rectocele were growing worse but I wanted to wait until fall for repairs - I needed a respite desperately. In early October it went from bad to absolute worst but I really didn't know the entire vaginal wall had come loose until I made the appt. with GYN for the cysto/recto repairs. The vaginal prolapse surgery is very major, what with attaching the tape to the front and back top of the vagina, then sewing/stapling the tape to the pelvic bone in front and to the sacrum in back. Also, the angle of the vagina must be calculated correctly. On top of this, the success rate is not all that great and I'm not sure I want to be cut from the belly button down, have a long hospital stay and recovery period and it could all be in vain. I also have been recently diagnosed with early onset diabetes, and only discovered this because I do not heal and insisted that my reg. physician check for it.

A new technique has been tested this year - 28 times with 28 100% success rate, (as of 2/04) done with the help of robotics by a urologist. But whatever the method of repair, I have found no one who has either my condition or needs the same repair work, even though statistics state that a certain percentage of hysters will have this complete prolapse. So, eleven years down the road from the original surgery I find myself a piece of worthless female junk that is in misery every day. I feel so much compassion for the younger sisters who are having post-op complications because I went through just about all of it myself, finally emerged victorious, only to be at the bottom of the barrel again. I'm having a pity party admittedly, but this is the time of my life, along with my husband, when we should be enjoying retirement and all it has to offer, and I can no longer accompany him on a morning walk, let alone share intimate moments. It could be worse, cancer for instance, where the vagina is removed, and I admire the courage of sisters who must endure this in order to ensure their very lives. Such battles we must fight, and even reading back what I've just written has given me cause to take up my sword in battle once again.
Thanks for the encouragement and response!

Judy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register