Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Questions

I have some questiosn and they may seem kind of stupid and I am sorry. I think I am over thinking things maybe but also want to be prepared for the worst in any case. I am 30 and have two children and a wonderfully supportive husband.

I have a solid mass on my ovary that is being removed. I am also going to have a hysterectomy because of bleeding problems and massive pain. I have had the CA125 done and the results were good. But, my dr. then went on to remind me that this did not mean it wasn't cancerous. I have a family history of premenopausal breast cancer and colon cancer, so the concern is there. I have also had abnormal paps at different times and had biopsies that came back ok, along with cyst problems.

Some of my questions are if my dr. who is just a gyn. have a gyn/onocologist there when I have my surgery? or is this to much?

Also, will they have a pathology report before they close me back up?

Also my dr. wants to leave one ovary and my cervix I am not sure about this because of concern over future possibility of cancer. Do most have everything removed if the concern is there?

I understand my dr. concern, because I am a new patient to him and he hasn't treated me for everything. We have moved and left my old drs. Also, I was treated by the VA for a long time and they can't seem to find my records.

Sorry this is so long. I feel like I am rambling, and am so sorry for it. I have my preop appt. on the 25th and want to have as much info as I can and also my list of questions for the dr.

Thanks so much.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2004, 10:33 AM
Questions

Nancy - -

I would advise you to have the surgery done by a gyn oncologist. Should g-d forbid, the cyst (or any other part of your reproductive tract) turn out to be cancerous, they are the most qualified to do a compete staging.

When a gyn onc does the surgery, a pathologist is on "standby" and they do a series of quick looks at the tissue as it is removed. The preliminary path results are known during the surgery. This is especially important if there is ANY question of ovarian cancer, since the hyst for ovarian cancer is a bit different (organs need to be removed "en block" to avoid spillage of any cancerous matter, the omentum or fatty layer on your insides is removed, and they do a thorough searching of your tummy to check for any ovarian cancer bits.

There are a lot of us who feel pretty strongly about this issue in CC.

Dorrie
Unread 05-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Questions

Nancy,

Dorrie's points are well-taken. Be sure to write down any questions you have, and to ask them prior to surgery. Maybe you can call the VA and ask again for your records. Or have the DR call, esp if you can get gyn/onc in on the deal?

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings.
Marlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2004, 12:11 PM
Questions

Hi, Nancy. Everyone's given great feedback. The only thing that I'd add is that, if there isn't any sign of cancer in the ovary, leave the other one in. You're only 30 years old. That's too young to be hitting full blown menopause if there's no reason to...

You're smart to be so aware of your family history. I didn't know about mine until after the fact While there was no ovarian cancer, there were two close relatives with colon cancer.

Good luck to you. Let us know how you're doing.

God bless,
Unread 05-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Questions

(((((((Nancy)))))))

I agree with everyone else... If you can have a gyn/onc in on the surgery or have a gyn/onc do the surgery. They are the best, if there is a posibility of cancer.

Ususally if there is a chance of cancer they will do what is called a "frozen section" (which is a quick pathology, that will tell if the cells look cancerous). So they should know before they close you up if the ovary is cancerous or not.

But definatly check out a Gyn/Onc, to at least be in or avaliable for the surgery.

God Bless
Unread 05-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Definitely a GYN/ONC.

Even if one is just there as backup in case cancer is found--you want this expert doing your surgery if there is cancer. They have extra training. As was said earlier, they can do some pathology during surgery but the full report will take longer. I knew after surgery where the cancer was. If you can get a gyn/onc--do it!
I implore you!
Unread 05-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Thank you

Thank you for all the information. Sometimes I feel like I am going overboard but according to my husband I am trying to be prepared. He is being wonderfully supportive and understands my concerns.

As far as my other ovary, my concern is if this will continue to happen. I have had cysts for the last ten years and have had them rupture. I don't want to continue going through that, it is also only a partial and they aren't sure how well it will function.

I don't want to be nosy or anything, but how do you deal with the not knowing. I don't feel like I am dealing with it to well. It is like it is constantly there in the back of my mind.

I am not afraid of it, because I guess, I have accepted the fact that some day there is a very good possibility that I will have some form of cancer. I grew up helping to take care of my grandparents who both had cancer, and my mom is dealing with skin cancer. i just want to know.

Thank you so much! Bless each one of you and my thoughts are with you!!!
Unread 05-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Questions

s Nancy

I am sorry that you are having to worry about ovarian cancer at such a young age. Even though your ca 125 is normal, please consider consulting a gyn/oncology surgeon now. There is a link between breast, colon and ovarian cancer. A gyn/onc will give you the best advice regarding your other ovary and cervix etc....
You just can't go wrong seeing this type of doctor, especially with your family history. Sometimes it is all about having the least regrets. I wish you the very best!!!!

karenann

PS My computer is down and I am using my sister's. Hence the judywalk. Sorry.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register