epidural or general questions??? going 11/16 TAH/BSO vertical incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

epidural or general questions??? going 11/16 TAH/BSO vertical incision epidural or general questions??? going 11/16 TAH/BSO vertical incision

Unread 11-15-2000, 07:01 AM
epidural or general questions??? going 11/16 TAH/BSO vertical incision

I am going tomorrow for a tah/bso with a vertical incision. I still have not made up my mind as to what anesthsia I am going to have. I have had problems in the past with asthma(I have allergies and am 14 yrs older now) and general anesthetic after knee surgery. My dr notified the anesthesiologist to call me ahead of time to discuss this and to see if she could get my records from my knee surgery, what a surprise that it is 24 hours before the big event and we still have not talked. Has anyone had experience with epidural for this type of operation??? Help is needed!!!!!!!! Thanks, Marsha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2000, 07:20 AM

I was supposed to have a vetical but it turned out that they were able to do a horizontal in the end -- I think that was the nicest surprise I ever had.

Is the anesthesia they're suggesting really epidural or spinal -- sometimes even professionals use the two as synonyms, and they're not.

My anesthesia was spinal, and except for a little back pain the first couple of days, I felt fine.

Besta luck to you.
Unread 11-15-2000, 07:36 AM
anesthesia

Thanks for the reply Marion. I'm glad to hear you had a spinal and had a successful outcome!! What changed your incision direction at the last minute?? I have a cyst on my right ovary(cancer?,tests neg so I am trying to be pos, this site helps) and am 52. The dr wanted to do a vertical in case she has to do more surgery if the ovary is not neg. Thanks for your reply, Marsha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2000, 07:57 AM

I left the style of the cut to the surgeon -- it wasn't my decision at all (he doesn't tell me how to catalog medical books, and I don't tell him...). The team decided in the ER that they could do the horizontal after all, despite the size of the uterus and the number of myomas.

Glad your cyst tested okay, I regularly play that game with cysts in my breasts, very nerve racking.

All the best, and may you continue to only hear good news!
Unread 11-15-2000, 09:06 AM

Hi Marsha. Asthma and anesthesia can be tricky. I have asthma and COPD. Also had knee surgery and I can still remember the coughing and hacking afterward. Less than a month later I had pneumonia. It doesn't sound like something I'd like to be doing with an abdominal incision. I'm going to insist on an epidural and an IV sedative for my surgery. That's just me though.

Prayers for your visit to the castle tomorrow. Let us know on the other side what's going on. ok?

Unread 11-15-2000, 09:51 AM

My doctor highly recommends an epidural with sedation or a spinal. Click on the globe in the upper right corner of the message board screen and type in epidural in this pre op messages category and you will pull up a lot of helpful posts. I would much prefer avoiding a general since it stays in your system much longer than the epidural. My doctor said I can have as much sedation as I want so I can be clueless as to what is going on. I am having a TVH by the way. Good luck with your decision making process.
Unread 11-15-2000, 01:42 PM
Me too!

I had a vertical TVH/BSO last Tuesday (11/7). A spinal is the way to go or at least it was for me (I've had 2 other female related surgeries and always opt for the spinal). Why? Your stomach has a much lower risk of being upset and throwing up is not something you want to do with a brand new cut in your tummy, they put pain killer meds in your back right before the completion of the surgery and you don't need morphine or other ligh potencey pain killers in your IV. The "back meds" last about 18-24 hours which is when your pain is the most intense. You are not near as groggy which means you wake faster and are more alert and you don't have to blow in the "clearing your lungs" machine as much either. They will give you some sort of sedation in your IV along with the spinal so you are asleep, but not asleep if you know what I mean. I promise, it is not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I've been home since Friday morning, got dressed for the 1st time Saturday and I haven't needed a nap. I never had any pain meds ( with the exception of the "back") except for advil and haven't needed that since Monday morning. I'm taking it easy, watching lots of TV, reading etc. but it just wasn't that bad. You're welcome to e-mail me with questions if you would like to. [email protected] You'll be in my prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register