Severe Dysplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe Dysplasia Severe Dysplasia

Unread 05-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Severe Dysplasia

I've read some posts referring to Dysplasia as being "aggressive". I would appreciate any information and/or experience some of you may have had with this. I know that it usually takes years to develop.

I had normal paps (thin prep) yearly until Feb. when it was CIN III. I had a LEEP in March, the margins weren't clear and the glands were also affected. I’m going to have another pap in June, but I don’t know if I’ll trust the results.

I can’t seem to quit thinking about it. I’m nervous that he may not have gotten it all…do I need to schedule the surgery now? Do I have time to wait.

Thanks ahead for your advice.

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Severe Dysplasia

I had a TVH because of severe dysplasia. I have had abnormal pap smears on & off since I was in my twenties but the last few years they had always been abnormal. My tried freezing the tissue, I had 2 LEEPs and a cone biopsy. Nothing was fixing the problem and since I have HPV the doctor said it was time for the hyst. My last bad pap was in late February and I wanted to have the surgery in June but the doc didn't want me to wait that long. I had surgery on March 26th.
Best of luck to you. I would get a second opinion if you are at all uncomfortable with the idea of surgery. It was the best choice for me but I would never tell anyone they "should" have a hyst.

Votelady
Unread 05-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Severe Dysplasia

If the margins were not clear, a cone biopsy is usually recommended. I would go see a gyn oncologist. They are the experts. I think that it will give you of peace of mind if you see someone who specializes in this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Severe Dysplasia

I was reading your post and am getting ready to post a new topic here tonight... My story is alot like yours.. I was diagnosed with severe dysplasia and my doctor went right to the cone. I had that surgery in October and I had 1 normal pap that was in January and now here it is May and my pap was done on the 6th and just got the call today that came back abnormal. My doctor wants me to come in and discuss my OPTIONS... anyways I am sure that one of those will possibly be hysterectomy. This process has been a long time coming let me tell you. It isnt easy sitting around wondering if you might get cancer. I understand totally your frustration. I myself am afraid to have a hysterectomy. But I do not want to get cancer if I dont already have it. I want you to know that the best advice I could give to you is ... if you have had 2 leeps and biopsy's and so on and so on. Do what you think will be best for you. If you feel like hysterectomy is the right thing and you are tired of all of the unknown then that is your decision. Just remember it is YOUR BODY ,,,,, YOUR DECISION.
Unread 05-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Severe Dysplasia

My opinon is that you ask for all the pathology reports. You have the right to see them. If you don't understand the lingo then look them up. Webmd helps with things like that and there is also a dictionary on this site. Then get a second opinon. Take the reports to that dr and see what they thing. It might take some time to get the answers you want but you have it. Cervical cancer takes 10-14 years to get to the critical stage. A few months are not going to cause much.
Hope this helps..........
Unread 05-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Severe Dysplasia

I was diagnosed with mild dysplasia from HPV in September of 95, just 8 months after my last normal PAP. All PAPs prior to that had been normal also. I had several freezing treatments and then a cone procedure and each time it came back worse. It progressed to severe in less than 9 months. In June of 96 my doctor insisted I have a hysterectomy because, in my case, the aggressiveness was "disconcerting" to him. I was scared during all those months of treatments that it was going to progress to cancer but yet I had a lot of confidence in my doctor and I knew he was on top of it. That put my mind to ease knowing he was paying attention to me and that he was very aware of how anxious I was about it.

My doctor initially told me that dysplasia takes years to get to the point of trouble so he was quite surprised when my went from mild to severe in less than a year. Most cases are slow to progress but there are a few forms of HPV that are more aggressive and I was unlucky enough to have the aggressive kind.

Follow your doctor's advice and ask him all the questions you can think of. If you have confidence in your doctor, you can rest easier knowing he/she is looking out for your situation and will do the right things at the right times.

Good luck and I will be interested in your outcome!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register