Oopherectomy next week. What can I expect? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oopherectomy next week.  What can I expect? Oopherectomy next week. What can I expect?

Unread 05-17-2004, 07:45 PM
Oopherectomy next week. What can I expect?

I had a TAH 2 years ago, but now my ovaries are giving me troubles, plus they are starting to shut down, so I am having them out next Tuesday at 1pm. My dr thinks he will be able to take them via a laparoscopy if they are not encased in adhesions, endo, ect. So, what I am wondering is, what should I expect after this surgery in regards to:

1. Pain and downtime(I was down for 7 weeks after my TAH)
2. Mentally how will I feel (just guess, or tell me your experience)
3. Will I wake up with HRT on me, and how long does it take to adjust to that? I am asking for Vivelle dot, the lowest dose.
4. How likely is it that I'll go through depression, have hot flashes, weight gain, ect.?
5. I am already having night sweats, little hot flashes followed by cold flashes, mood swings and vaginal dryness. Will this get better with the HRT? How do I combat the vaginal dryness? It's making sex VERY painful, as in it burns.

Anyone's help is appreciated! I just want the truth about what I can expect.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2004, 08:03 AM

Bumping....

Anyone?
Unread 05-18-2004, 08:41 AM

Your symptoms sound exactly like me and I was hoping somebody would reply so I'd know too! I am currently waiting for my gyn to call me any day with regard to my recent blood tests and ultrasound of my only ovary I have left which has been giving me lots of problems since 6 months post op. I just want to move on with life and get it out. I would think that the down time wouldn't be like with was when we had our hysterectomies (me: 8 weeks). I am hoping I'll be out of work for only a couple weeks at the most. I wish you lots of luck with your surgery and I am sure everything will be fine. Jill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2004, 08:42 AM

Julie B. ,

sorry to hear that your getting ready to go through more surgery. Hopefully your doc will be able to do the key hole sugery. As fory our questions, I just had my right ovary removed I'm 8 days post- op now.
I can only try to answer one question since I still have one ovary left and it still working.

1. Pain and downtime(I was down for 7 weeks after my TAH)

the RSO that I just had was with a vertical cut, so it will be a 6-8 week recovary for me, I would think that it would be at least a 4 -6 week revovery with a lap procedure (other ladies might be able to help with that question).

as for the pain, its not to bad. I stilll am taking pain meds though. Really the pain reminds me of the hyster pain.

I wish you the best, take care and keep us posted
Unread 05-18-2004, 12:22 PM

Julie:

How old are you? Age does seem to be a factor.

My MIL was 45 at the time of her TAH/BSO for cervical cancer and never had any surgical menopause symptoms. Maybe the radiation treatments had some effect on that ... I don't know. But, occassionally you do hear stories of women with little or no side effects. So, its real hard to say what to expect because we are all individually designed Off hand as a total lay person (not medically trained) it would be my guess that the closer you are to menopause, the easier surgical menopause might be. That's just a guess.

The HRT question needs to be addressed by your doctor - whether or not you will wake up with the patch on. Some doctors do that and some don't.

If you have the BSO via laparoscopy my doctor told me 2-4 weeks recovery and 6 weeks, if abdominally. Your doctor should address this with you based on your overall physical health.

Please phone your doc's office with your questions. Its his/her job to make you feel as comfortable as you can with your decision to proceed with the BSO.

Lots of s
Unread 05-18-2004, 12:27 PM

Michelle, I am 34.

I guess what I am confused about, is that I had a DnC with exploratory surgery via a laparoscopy about 6 months before I had my hyster, and while I remember being very sore and gassy for the first couple of days, I thought my recovery was about a week, max. Will is be longer because they are actually taking the ovaries? I have a very busy schedule, so I can not be down for that long.

I do have my pre-op tomorrow, so I will ask about the HRT.
Unread 05-18-2004, 05:59 PM

I am having my right ovary removed laparoscopy on June 4th - I was told to plan on a 2-3 week recovery.

I am hoping to keep the left ovary (unless it looks bad too) so I am not planning on surgical menopause yet - I hope.

Unread 05-19-2004, 04:40 PM

I am having a "diagnostic laparoscopy, possible BSO, possible laparotomy" tomorrow (5-20). I will let you know how my experience goes. Maybe that will help.

My sister had a laparoscopy with BSO & she said she was off work for a week. She felt like she really needed that whole time, too. She is a very energetic person and has a hard time sitting still, let alone recover.
Unread 05-19-2004, 09:09 PM

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow!! Rest up and take it easy when you get home.
Unread 05-24-2004, 06:18 AM

I just wanted to let you know that I had my laparoscopy last Thurs. They found "extensive adhesions". My right ovary was completely encased in adhesions and twisted and distorted, yet still functioning! My surgeon was able to take care of the adhesions and put Interceed on everything so they don't come back.

My recovery is going very well, but I can see where I will need the full week to rest. I actually woke up from surgery in less pain than when I went in! Now, I just get tired easily. I hope this helps!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register