going nuts trying to quit premarin | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

going nuts trying to quit premarin going nuts trying to quit premarin

Unread 05-18-2004, 09:09 AM
going nuts trying to quit premarin

i had my operation aug 2002 i was supposed to keep my ovarie. i was born with only one. they had to take it. it attatched to my uterus and was not getting enough blood.i have been on premarin since then. istopped cold turkey in march this year. idid not know you were to cut down little by little. i was doing fine at first but 2weks ago i crased. i had the most unpleasent experience of my life. anxiety so bad i have not been to work in 2weeks. hot flases 3 or4 times a night.i just do not feel like myself.i started premarin back up 7 days ago.i am 43.the hot flashes are slowley getteing less intense. but i still have anxiety.i take zanax when i cant stand it.does anybody know how long it takes for the premarin to get back into your body?i am wondering when i will start to feel good again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2004, 09:36 AM

Nibor --

Unless there's a medical reason to do so, going cold turkey is needlessly abrupt. What dose premarin are you on?

--The anxiety may or may not be hormonal. If it doesn't get better pretty soon, you might want to look for other causes.

--I would suggest you have a talk with your doc about whether and when discontinuing hrt is right FOR YOU.

--If you decide to st op, I would suggest going on the low dose premarin for a few months (.325 I think) and then systematically start skipping days, staying at each point for about a month.

Stopping this way, you may still have symptoms, but they will probably be more manageable. Some women do prefer to just "get it over with". but I took about 6 months to reduce my dose and then stop, and while I did get occasional hot flashes and pretty significant nite sweats, I could manage them and they were never horrific. If my life was getting stressed, I stayed put a bit longer before making the next drop.

It also gave me time to get non-hormonal treatments on board and working

Dorrie
Unread 05-18-2004, 10:15 AM

i stopped taking the premarin because we have no health insurance and because of weight gain. iam on0.625mg. my dr. said just to stop taking them. so i did i talked to my pharmacy they said it stays in your body 45 to 90 days. i was off of them 65 days when i started not to feel good. i am still on the same dose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2004, 10:37 AM

I am sorry you have no health insurance. You know generic estrace, which is a bioidentical estrogen is pretty cheap.

The 1 mg tablets (which are a similar dose to the .625 premarin)on an online pharmacy are $7.99 for a one month supply and under $13.00 for a 90 day supply. At the same online store, premarin is almost $30 a month.

Just a thought, if you want to stay on estrogen

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register