Gyn doesn't remember me. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gyn doesn't remember me. Gyn doesn't remember me.

Unread 05-20-2004, 08:05 AM
Gyn doesn't remember me.

((((Susie))))) Couldn't agree more! How hard could it be to get a tag or stamp that says "hysterectomy" or use a colored highlighter, or SOMETHING to mark our charts. Would make them look instantly smarter!

((((Kim)))) .... yeah, I love to say 10/31/01 in response to the first day of my last period question and just let the check in nurse figure it out. Also, its a kind of celebration for me - a reminder that I am not bleeding like that anymore. Of course, it was more fun when it was within 9 months and they were checking out my tummy (gee, you don't LOOK pregnant).

Although, I have to say the "but did you get your tubes tied?" question in response to "I had a hysterectomy" when being questioned about birth control is something I still chuckle about today.

BTW... I'd be really PO'd and not laughing if my doctor treated me like a number. So, ((((Corgilover))))) I really understand the hurt feelings. Your expectations are reasonable.

I do have to hand it to my doctor, he always gives the chart a quick flip through before starting to ask questions - to see if I have called his nurse recently, etc. just to jog his memory so he doesn't look clueless. That would be a smart practice for all of them to get into. No one expects them to be perfect ... just to make a reasonable effort.

Hope you all have a great day. s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Gyn doesn't remember me.

Oh my gosh, I'm glad I'm not alone with sometime brainless docs and nurses.

Right after I had my hyster, on or about day 2 in the castle I started having severe pain by the right ovary, so the gyn ordered an IVP to check the kidneys, bladder and ureters. Well they took me down to x-ray and the tech asked me if I could be pregnant. Ummmm. I told her I just had a hyster. I was an emotioanl wreck. She got this look of horror on her face then quickly started the test.

Because I continued to have problems with my right ovary, my gyn refered me to a another doc at a hosptial in St. Louis Mo. I needed a super good surgeon to peal the ovary off my ureter. Well any ways the first initial consult was ok, but when I had to go back for the second appt to schedule surgery he asked me if we planned to have any more children ..OMG I said no I can't have any more, he asked why and I told him I had a hyster. It was kinda funny, he started flipping through my chart and quickly proceded with the good old pelvic exam. I'm sure he was embarassed.

I realise that our docs are busy, but they could at least review our charts before asking us stuip questions. Tommorow I go back for my post-op check up and have my staples, foley and the jp drain removed. I wonder if he will remember me...LOL
Unread 05-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Gyn doesn't remember me.

I don't blame you for feeling upset. We sure want to be remembered as an individual instead of a number.

One of the OB/GYNs I went to years and years ago did the ultimate no-no. I was in for a checkup shortly after a miscarriage and he came in with the equipment to check for the fetal heartbeat. After he came in with it he looked at my chart which the nurse had left in the room. He was flustered and apologetic, and said "This chart should have been outside the door!" That was the last time the nurse left my chart in the room!

At my new GYN's office I got the "when was your last period" question for about a year until they finally flagged my chart. I always liked the surprised look on the nurse's face when I answered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Gyn doesn't remember me.

I had the stomach flu in February. When I told my doctor I was nauseated and had abdominal pain, he immediately asked when my last cycle was. I told him it was last June. The look on his face was priceless. He must have thought I was in labor. I bet he checks everybodies chart from now on.
Unread 05-22-2004, 07:17 AM
Gyn doesn't remember me.

when i went in for my nerve block on Monday, the resident started asking all the questions, rate your pain, where is your pain, and his final question was, any chance you're pregnant. "Not unless it's an immaculate conception, the oven is gone!"

He turned beet red, and put a red note on my chart "post hyst"

I loved it when I went to see my fam doc and he asked when was your last period. I answered 9/9/03) Have you had a pg test lately. no, there's no reason. tubes tied? NO! Read the chart. Hysterectomy 9/10/03.....oh. sorry.

It's hard to deal with when people forget us. Especially if we've been seeing them for a while. You want to be an individual, not a case number. I don't have any advice, but I know it's hard.
Geez people, read before you ask questions.

Laura
Unread 05-22-2004, 07:24 AM
Gyn doesn't remember me.

While I see a gyn for "female" issues and a surgeon for mammogram/ultrasound (problems with cysts) this one of the main reasons I really like my small town family dr. He actually was a year behind me in grade school, went to the same church, and when my parents dr. retired took over my parents care. He knows the issues I face in dealing with my Dad's condition (Mom passed away in 1997) and is very sympathetic. He could have gone elsewhere to practice and probably done a lot better financially, but chose to return home - and I am grateful for that. I am sure that he doesn't know all his patients as well as he does me, but when he walks in the examining room, he knows my history all too well!
Teresa

TAH/stage 1 uterine cancer
July, 1999
Unread 05-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Gyn doesn't remember me.

Corgilover,
I was one of those women who woke up with a hysterectomy after going in for only a LSO. It was very traumatic and devastating. When I called the doctor's office to make my follow-up appointment, some new trainee was answering the phone and her office trainer was listening in. I said I needed to make an appointment six weeks from now, and she says "And when did you have your baby?" I said I didn't, I had a hysterectomy. The employee trainer on the other end immediately jumped in and apologized and said the girl was in training. Then I had to go back to the doctor for a yeast infection, and by the time I finally got into the exam room I had already described my symptoms to three other people who had asked. The physician's assistant started asking what were my symptoms. I flew off the handle and yelled "Don't you people write anything down! I've already gone over this three times." She stopped asking and started examing. I am a health professional and asking patients these types of questions over and over when the information is clearly documented is really a no no. I know doctor's are busy, but the reason they have office help is to identify these types of pieces of info so the patient isn't put through unnecessary BS and emotional stress. I do appreciate the responses many of you have come up with when asked when your last period was. I think if I'm asked "When was your last period?" I will say, "I traded mine in for a semi-colon." Cheers
Unread 05-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Gyn doesn't remember me.

Good answer - but how about an exclamation point!

Teresa

TAH/July 1999/Stage 1 uterine cancer
Unread 05-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Gyn doesn't remember me.

I can totally relate. :-( I was back in the hospital for 5 days after my surgery because of an abcess. When I was being discharged the nurse came in, who had been with me during the day for 3 of the days, and asked if I was pregnant or planned on getting pregnant because the two antibiotics I was going home on were dangerous during pregnancy. I just broke down and sobbed so hard. She had no idea what was wrong with me! Through my sobs I said I was here for a post op infection. She said she knew but still didn't understand. Then I yelled out "I HAD A HYSTERECTOMY!" She said she was so sorry and left and another nurse came in to finish the discharge instructions.

I didn't think that nurses/doctors wouldn't first look to see that you had this done. But now I know to prepare myself for other medical personnel just in case they don't read before they ask and I will definitely be sure to say somthing to them if they don't read my chart first.

It can be so hurtful. :-(
Unread 05-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Gyn doesn't remember me.

When I go to the doc (a gyn/oncologist) the medical assistant goes through the routine, wt, vitals, when was your last pap, mammogram, period. I was there for a problem with my hyst incision so the last question really wasn't needed. I've been there many times so you think she'd perhaps remember me but didn't. I told her I that I don't have periods anymore because I had a hysterectomy.

Here's the one that really got me. In the preop area the day of my surgery, the nurse asked me if I had children. I said no and she was all sort of saying "oh no children?" like it was a terrible thing. I told her that really I was ok with it. Even if I wasn't, at 44 years of age and being prepped for a TAH/BSO and partial vulvectomy in a few minutes, there wasn't a whole lot to be done about it! I am a nurse, and I'm sure I was taught not to say stupid things like that to people!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register