Upsetting Information. Please Help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upsetting Information. Please Help! Upsetting Information. Please Help!

Unread 05-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Upsetting Information. Please Help!

I just received a package from the hospital containing all my records from my surgery and everything that had been written during my time there. It was truly amazing reading and I am so glad that I requested it.

One concern that is troubling my right now. Can you help?

When I read the surgical papers about what happened in the Operating Room etc. I read under "patient position" Lithotomy (I understand that, as it is the position usually used for pelvic exams etc) and then it said yellowfin...what is that?

I am really scared because someone told me something horrible about patient positioning for this surgery and it honestly broke my heart and made me cry. I never told my husband even, how upset I was, as I could hardly find the words. Does this mean something horrible, like that I was hanging like a fish would be...I am so scared and upset about this. In the surgical report it says modified Lithotomy...and that's ok, that's what I would have expected. But the other, really shakes me up. I know that some people say what does it matter I was "asleep" but it really matters to me.

Can you help clarify? Things went so well with my surgery and I felt so cared about. I don't want this to take that away.

Thanks

Blessings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2004, 02:19 PM

Don't waste time feeling bad and making scary conjectures when you can call the hospital! Call the surgeon! Get information! Surely you can't believe you were hanging like a fish?
If you "don't want to take it that way," then DON'T. For all you know this is a typo, and to build troubles on a base of previously feeling cared about is self-defeating. Get on the phone, for heaven's sake.
Unread 05-19-2004, 02:28 PM

Thanks for your reply. It is hard for me to describe how devasting it was when a "friend" of mine came over just prior to my surgery and told me very grahpic and upsetting things about what would happen to me in surgery. I am very reserved and private, and it is hard for me to be that vulnerable. She had a Hysterectomy and so I trusted her, I thought she would be there for me and help me through. Unfortunately the visit left me terrified, so much so that I couldn't even talk about with my husband. I don't know why she would have wanted to upset me so much. She knew that it would upset me because she said it would...and then she went on.

I am extremely relational and I know that some people are very comfortable with skill as the paramount trait of a surgeon and team, but for me it is largely about compassion. I felt that I had that with my surgeon and everyone who was with me on the day of operation. I was blessed. I needed to feel safe and I did.

I guess this information was just so upsetting because it brought back the frightening feelings that I had from before. Perhaps it sounds silly, but it really broke my

Blessings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2004, 02:41 PM

I'm not sure what you are talking about or what difference it makes now. You know, they only do what they gotta do, they are only interested in getting the job done, not exposing your private area for thrills. I've been in the OR as an RN quite a few times. It's not like they put people in goofy postions for fun then stand there and laugh and point. They just do what they have to do the safest most efficient way. They can't do the surgery with your legs crossed. I don't understand what else you'd expect..
Puppet
Unread 05-19-2004, 02:47 PM

Hi Blessings,

I think that may be a typo or else the transcriptionist misheard the word. I teach medical terminology and I've never heard of "yellowfin." I even looked it up just now in my medical dictionary and there is no such medical word.

I also suggest that you call the hospital. It's possible that another word was dictated instead and just transcribed inaccurately. (I teach medical transcription too, so I know how easily such a mistake would be.)

And I wouldn't worry about it too much. What's done is done and you can't unscramble eggs. Doctors and nurses and other professionals in the operating room are just that, professionals. They care about the patient and no matter what position the patient is placed in, they are accustomed to seeing everything. Nothing is a shock to the OR staff and nothing seems out of place or odd to them. I'm sure your staff took good care of you.

s,

Lisa
Unread 05-19-2004, 02:52 PM

I never saw my own records... I guess I could request them. But I think if you and your surgeon have a good relationship, if you trust him or her, then believe in that feeling.
Unread 05-19-2004, 02:59 PM

Blessings

Call the hospital and/or the DR. and find out what the word(s) mean!
and
Call the hospital and/or the DR. and find out what the word(s) mean!

Yes, I purposely typed it twice!

You don't seem to know (from what you've said) what the word(s) mean, so call and find out!

Me thinks you've got a vivid imagination
-- I really cannot believe they have us haning up side down like a fish! That would mean the DR. would have to work with his arms/hands up and looking up all the time -- can't see him/her be able to do that for a long period of time........... - think about it! His/her arms would get too tired after a small amount of time and he/she would have horrible neck pain! He/she would not be able to finish one surgery, let alone any others that would have been scheduled for that day! Again, think about it......!

CALL, CALL and find out what word(s) mean! Like someone else said, it could easily be a tying error!

Again, I really don't think they have us hanging upside down !!

Take it easy, enjoy the feeling you had before the report!!

Loekie
Unread 05-19-2004, 03:01 PM

This may help ease your mind...Yellofins™
Stirrups used for patient positioning during laparoscopic and other procedures. Note: Sounds like "yellowfins," but there is no w in the trademark name. Mfg: O.R. Direct (800-673-4732). Source: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO); confirmed by manufacturer's representative via phone - 06/28/01.
Unread 05-19-2004, 03:29 PM
"Bedaleigh"...Thank You!

Thank you "Bedaleigh"...I really can't thank you enough. Your kind post made such a difference. That makes perfect sense now. I really appreciate you providing that information.

Everyone's experiences in life are different, and only the heart truly knows how that translates into each person's life. For me, what I experienced before my surgery was very traumatic, and it affected me deeply. Even my Mom, who had her Hysterectomy 30+ years ago was very shaken by what this "friend" had told me. The only reason that I was upset by what I read about the "yellowfin" was because it was unknown, and it was closer to the awful description that I was told preop than it was to my own knowledge and experience. I know that if I ever have the honour of helping someone through surgery like my own, I want to encourage them, and show empathy...certainly not frighten them. Throughout the journey there have been many angels, my surgeon being one of them, and I hope that someday I will have the chance to be a support to someone in that way too.

Now I can put to rest the misguided story that I was told...and truly embrace how blessed I was to have such a positive experience.

Thank you from my I am so glad you took the time to help.

Blessings
Unread 05-19-2004, 03:32 PM

Have done a bit of a search and I think there is gyni equipment refered to as yellowfin stirrups, don't know any more than that.

whatever they are, they were needed for your health and Praise God your op was successful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register