Takin it easy ain't so easy (a day in the life of a hyster sister) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Takin it easy ain't so easy (a day in the life of a hyster sister) Takin it easy ain't so easy (a day in the life of a hyster sister)

Unread 05-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Takin it easy ain't so easy (a day in the life of a hyster sister)

5 Days post-op: i've read all your posts take it easy, rest etc. OK, this is not so easy. Feel free to add on:

I literally roll out of bed and put on my trusty hat - easier than doing hair and attempt to get kids on the school bus. I have 2 DD 5,6. "Mom, tie my shoe", hmmm, I can't bend over to reach it, why don't you lie on the floor and lift up your foot to me!

The gallon of milk is soooo heavy, I ask my 6 yr. old to get it and hope it isn't dropped on the floor cuz then who would clean it up?

DH didn't empty the dishwasher, and we are out of spoons, what man created dishwashers with utensils on the bottom, it seems so far away!

The walk to the bus stop just 4 doors down was exhausting, phew. Now I stand in front of my front door, hmmm, I've got to go up these dang stairs w/o railing to hang onto to get there, so close but so far away. I collapse on the couch.

5 minutes later I think I gotta go. I shuffle into the bathroom, and celebrate!! Yeah, i finally pooped! oh man, who used the last of the tp. I can't even turn around to reach the kleenex box. Now what do I do?

I collapse on the couch. I left my water bottle on counter, slide off couch and retrieve it.

Phone rings - where is the phone. Slide off couch and get it.
Grab nail file while up, drop nail file. ***. One more thing to step over!

Wish I could put sox on - my feet are cold, can only reach my knees!

Nobody filled the dog's waterbowl. hmmm, that is so far down. the dog will just have to be thirsty till dd gets home from kindergarten.

SBC guy comes, show him computer problems downstairs. Stairs again. Doorbell rings so I go up to answer it. DD home from kdg.

SBC guy has question so go back down to talk to him. Phone rings, DD says it is for me, but won't bring me phone. Go back upstairs to talk to DH.

DD wants lunch and i want to collapse on couch.

I'm beginning to think this taking it easy stuff would be easier if I were sitting in my chair at work!!

I sit to watch movie and realize DH didn't switch DVD's for me. I strain to bend low enuf to get a new one in. I sit down and enjoy for 5 minutes. DD playing computer games and is stuck, so I head downstairs to help her out. Back upstairs to relax.

DD is bored and wants to rollerblade outside. Mom, help me with my skates. Again she lays on the floor and lifts her foot with rollerblade on it up to me. I let go and rollerblade hits my foot on way down.

I go lay down, forget movie. Doorbell rings. Dog barking like crazy. I roll out of bed and shuffle to door. UPS guy left 3 big boxes by front door. Can't open door! And he doesn't hear me yell to him.

Go lay down 5 minutes, DD thirsty and wants apple cut up for snack. Other DD home from school.

We do homework at kitchen table, my stomache is as hard as the table!

Only two more hours til DH is home! Then I hope to take it easy.

mom's and taking it easy that is an oxymoron.

tomorrow i will "take it easy again" LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2004, 11:11 AM

My first question is: don't you have a cordless phone? One of the cardinal rules for princesses is to never have the phone more than arm's distance away while sitting or laying down, and if you are walking around to have it in your possession.

Milk: either have DH buy it in containers smaller than gallons for a short while or have someone pour it into smaller containers.

Silverware: do you have any plastic around? Plastic utensils and paper plates and cups make things a little easier.

For delivery people, etc: put a note on the door saying you just had surgery and can they wait a minute for you to get to the door.

Kids: explain that they are going to have to entertain themselves for a few days, Mom needs lots of peace and quiet and can't help them with the computer or roller blades.

I hope today is a lot quieter for you. Seriously, take every minute you can to sit with your feet up, or lay down.

Best wishes!
Unread 05-20-2004, 11:24 AM

I always awfulize...reading your story I was concerned for you but REALLY concerned when I imagined your daughter taking a fall on the roller blades outside, and you going out to help her and PICKING HER UP....! How would you have gotten her to the doctor?

No matter how good she is at that, Murphy's Law says that what can go wrong will...and she can do without roller blading when you're home alone with her!

Sweetie, you need help watching the kids...you need to be resting or you won't heal right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2004, 11:34 AM

I wouldn't be able to make it taking care of children too! I hope someone can pop in and help you, seriously.

Even just little things make all the difference. My DD came for the last 3 days cooking and taking care of laundry and the little things you never think of.

Surprised to have the church call and beginning today they insist on bringing meals for 2 weeks. That's 2 much but they insist.

Please take care of yourself. I some one will lighten your load.

Unread 05-20-2004, 12:27 PM

Oh my dear I loved your story, sounds like my life without the stairs, but no DH to come home at night,
I take my dd to daycare, I still have to pay anyway well out of work, the kids have kids to play with and I rest all day, then I can do the nights, bathing her or showering is hard. the silverware!! so true, I squat to reach it if DD can't help, close the dishwasher door with my foot. Use paper plates and plastic cups and put stuff in the refigerater at her level, also made a snack drawer she can reach with heathly snacks when she needs to eat, which is constant. I also put the pet food at her reach so she can do that, they go hungry for a few extra hours until she feels like feeding them, but there alive. she is 4, and I don't know what I would do without her help. I started paying her in change sometimes for her help, that way I don't get up as much, and I am feeling pretty darn good considering. I also got the half gallon of milk, but the apple juice I bought a huge container and need to fix that problem... I also have things from the dollar store stashed so when I am beat and she wants to play "bored" sometimes I get something out for her and she is happy for awhile..
See if you can get some help, and rest it is only temporary, but worth asking for help.
Hugs
mary
Unread 05-20-2004, 12:33 PM

I'm tired & hurting just from reading your post.

My insides ache for you. Is there anyone that can help you get kids off to school or come & watch them in afternoon until dh gets home?

Good luck & s for everything that you have to do.
Unread 05-20-2004, 02:39 PM

This was removal of a major organ and it sounds like you have an abdominal incision as well--even if not, you still have a lot of sutures inside, things you need to take care of and allow to heal. If the people around you don't understand that, take them to that site that shows what you underwent. I think it's www.pelvicfloor.com. This isn't like having a mole removed. 5 days post-op is not the time to be resuming all-day childcare.

I think most of us would agree that 5 days post-op, it wouldn't be inappropriate to still be in the hospital. We don't stay in long enough, these days, after major surgery, and I think the many complications we read about on this board are partly due to people getting out and resuming taking care of their families when they should be being taken care of themselves!
Unread 05-20-2004, 02:40 PM

can you see if one of the teachers from school can help you before and after.? my husband was just away, and i had an asst teacher come home after school with my son. it was incredibly helpful. i didn't think of this myself. a mom at school called the school and asked if someone could do it to help me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register