Just found out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just found out Just found out

Unread 05-20-2004, 07:15 PM
Just found out

After battling erratic bleeding, constant discharge, pain, you name it, i've had it, over 2 years, my doctor has decided that I am not a candidate for Uterine Ablation and must choose to live life feeling like I'm bleeding to death......or have a hysterectomy.

I have said since I was 13 years old, that I wished someone would find a 'cure' for menses. Now that the 'cure' is staring me in the face I am finding i am apprehensive. I am not feeling like I am becoming less a woman... God has blessed me .....
I look forward to being able to look at my calendar and not see the marker dots indicating days i've bled (all of 2004 so far except for 20 days that were drug induced bleeding free) and I am excited to get out of sanitary pads...tampons don't help...the bleeding is too forceful and excessive. Just Tuesday (5-18-04), I had to change my pants 3 times because when I stood up from playing hot wheels...GUSH... (sorry , graphic I know).

I have read through some of the posts before writing my own and I am curious to know where some of you ladies have found your research material. I have no surgery date yet, the surgery scheduler will call me on 5-21-04 and we will decide then when it will be.

What are some questions I need to ask my Gyn?
I have noticed some references to "bowl preparation" is that something they do with all hysterectomies? I am hoping to have a TVH leaving one if not both ovaries..but of course, I have to prepare for the fact that it may have to be a 'cut open job'.

I have been through 2 years of misery. This was sudden onset Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) preceded by a history of level 4 cervical dysplasia in 1999 that led to having over 1/2 my cervix removed in an equally terrifying surgery.

I know I will be fine, I know that recreational sex will become just that again, instead of having to wait for a 'clear' day on the calendar and then not being guaranteed enough time.

Anyway, I want you to know that I am thankful to have found this website, (I did a google search!) and it sounds like there are a lot of women in here who have had this done.

I pray that you can help equip me with questions I should ask my doctor and answers to my most mundane questions

Thank you very much
Hugs from the beautiful Pacific Northwest
Leah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2004, 08:30 PM
Just found out

Hey there, just hang in there.

I am 4 1/2 weeks post op from a TAH/BSO. I found out from the get go that I was going to have everything removed. I have no regrets about it. And, I am not taking any kind of HRT.

Ask your doc about the risk of leaving the ovaries. You need to know what your chances of him/her having to go back in and remove them are. My doc told me that just about as many times as he has left them, he has had to go back in later and take them out.

You should prepare yourself mentally for a vaginal hysterectomy turning into an abdominal. There is just a big chance that it could happen and anyone that is going to have it done should just accept that it could happen. If it is the case, you can handle the abdominal. Just make sure that you get up and walk as much as you can as soon as they give you permission to do so.

Really weigh your options when it comes to HRT. I am not taking them because of the risk of blood clots. I have been tested before and couldn't even get a script for BCP. This is testing you have to ask for. And, being as young as I am, I don't want to deal with the risk of breast cancer either.

But, my number one piece of advice that I can give you along with all of the sisters is: STAY POSITIVE. You have to be positive before, during and after. You can beat this. You will feel so much better after it is all said and done. And, if you do come across something that concerns you or you don't like, do something about it. It is your body. You know your body. Stand up for yourself and take care of yourself.

Best wishes and many prayers!!!

Tonja
Unread 05-20-2004, 08:33 PM
Just found out

welcome! i too had the same non stop bleeding. I am one week post op as of today. I had a vaginal hyst., leaving both ovaries. the surgery is major, it can be rough, but in one weeks time I feel great, & no bleeding!!!

I started looking on line for info too. i was not happy with things I was finding. Too many opinions, & not facts. I got a brochure right from my clinic, & talked to the nurse triog line at my clinic. Also, this web site gives you lots of ideas for questions. Start making a list. that is the best thing to do.

i had no bowel prep at all. I think your doctor will tell you specifically if you would need to do that. Everyone is so different.

You will be happy with your outcome. I too, did not want to bleed the rest of my life. i am only 36, so way too many years to go. i started when i was 10, so i had put up with it long enough.

Best of luck to you in your journey. It is very emotional, so be prepared for that. Keep this site as a great source of support.

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2004, 09:32 PM
Just found out

Glad you found this site!! I know I was. Lot's of great information and support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register