Help I have a question... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help I have a question... Help I have a question...

Unread 05-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Help I have a question...

I had to stop bc for the month before my surgery. Even with protection I some how got pg. My dr won't do the surgery but insists that I have an abortion. He says that I must have this surgery. I must! It scares me. Does this mean that I am at risk for more than he is telling me. This is really hard for me to ask and tell. I am really scared and confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Taylea

Taylea,

Wow, this is an incredibly difficult situation to be in. If you would like to carry the child to term, you should go to a gynecological oncologist--no question about it. They are experienced in the field and may be able to offer you some options. You have said that you have adenocarcinoma in situ, and perhaps it can be successfully treated with a LEEP while still maintaining a pregnancy. Good luck,

Beth
Unread 05-21-2004, 04:40 PM

I agree with chicklet as far as seeing a gyn/onc. They are the ones to be with if you want to carry the baby to term. At any rate they are the ones to have with any gyn cancer. I wish you the best of luck and will send up prayers for you.

God Bless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2004, 05:50 PM

I work in a tertiary teaching hospital. We have had ladies with cancers who carried to term BUT...so much depends upon your particular type of cancer, where it is specifically in the cervix, and what the plan would be for post-hyst treatment.

That being said, if you also have adenomyosis, sometimes that can create serious complications with implantation of a placenta. I know you like your doctor -- but it seems to me that you need to have at least ONE second opinion. You may also want to speak with your pastor, if you belong to any congregation, to a therapist if you have one, and perhaps also to the social worker for the ethics committee of your hospital. This is such a difficult decision at best...

My thoughts and ers are with you!

Audrey
Unread 05-21-2004, 06:08 PM

Hi Taylea,

I just want to second the good advice you have already recieved. Please see an oncologist who specializes in helping woman pregnant woman. I do not know your religious beliefs, but would encourage you to see counsel from a pastor or minister. You are in my prayers.
Unread 05-22-2004, 06:57 AM

The only way my cancerours cells cane be treated are with a cone biopsy and a hysterectomy. Those are my two options. My dr has consulted the oncolgist that he works with. and he agrees with my drs assement. I am having trouble with this. If I do the cone I would most likely misscarry the baby anyway and would have to have it aborted to have the hysterectomy. This really hard. I believe that abortion should only be used in the most desperate of situations. Like rape and possibly to save the moms life. Now it seems I am somewhat in that postion and it is hard to cope with. Thanx.........
Unread 05-22-2004, 08:40 AM

Oh Taylea,

I have no advice to give but I just wanted to reach out & give you a great big hug!!!

My heart aches for the decision you have to make. Is a 2nd opinion optional for you?

If there is no other option, is there a pastoral care person you could talk to to help you thru? I'd hate for you to have guilt about this when it's completely out of your control.

s

I'll be thinking of you.
Unread 05-22-2004, 08:57 AM

Oh sweetie, bless your heart!! That has got to be a heart-wrenching decision!

I agree with Madilyn. If you can, I would get a second opinion or else sit down with your doctor and discuss with him just how serious the cancer is and what would happen if you let your pregnancy go to term. (How far along are you?)

Whatever you decide, don't blame yourself. You have to do what you have to do.

Big s and prayers for you,

Lisa
Unread 05-22-2004, 09:04 AM

First off let me send my sympothy and many many hugs your ways. Here is a shoulder as well.

This is got to be so touch. What I think you should so is sit down with your Dh have have a major heart to heart talk about this. Find out how bad the cancer is and the risks delivering the baby. The risks for you as well as the baby. I personally am against abortion, but I also feel if it is medically needed, then is it needed. Personally I would not have the abortion, I would take the chance and risk. I did that with my first son, although it was not cancer related. Everyone kept telling me that I could die, or he could die, if I tried to have him and yes that almost happened, but it did not.

Also talk to God. There is a reason why you got pg. He knows what is in your heart before you even start speaking. He can help you more than anyone.

I know this will be a hard decision and it is one that you and your DH must make. The Drs can only give you their opionions. You do have 2 children already and believe me I know that does not make this challenge any better, as I have 2 children and I wanted anotehr so bad, but then had to have this done.

Please take time to weight all the possible choices, risks, precautions and talk them all out. Ler us know how it goes and if you need a ear or a shoulder you can email me or pm anytime, you can even call me if need be, just email me or pm me and let me know.

I will be praying for you and hopeing for the best
Unread 05-22-2004, 09:18 AM

Taylea...
I don't have any advice or wisdom whatsoever for you but I wanted to say how sorry I am that you are in this position facing such a heartwrenching decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register