Nail polish | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Nail polish

I had been wondering about this and then on another thread someone said that the admissions nurse told them no nail polish. Did you all have to go with your nails "au naturel"? I remember when I had my tubal many, many years ago, I had to remove my nail polish.

I have my nails done, and I was going to make my last appt just before my castle date. I guess I could just have them polished w/clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Nail polish

I was told to remove my nail polish. I think it's because they put some kind of monitor on your finger and they also need to see the natural color under your nails. I did however put clear polish on mine and it didn't seem to matter.
Unread 05-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Nail polish

It was explained to me that they look at your fingers and toes, give the nails a little squeeze and look at the change in color as a quick way to be sure you're getting oxygen to all your extremities. If you have a color on there, they can't see the nail bed change colors when they squeeze.

When I had a pre-op phone call from the hospital, and the nurse said no polish, I asked her if toes counted and she said definitely no toe nail polish. Then, when I checked in they put the elastic socks on me. Hubby joked that the hole in the bottom of the foot wouldn't do them any good because my feet aren't ticklish. Nurse said "No, that's so we can look at your toes for circulation and feel the temperature too."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Nail polish

I was told fingers and toes were fine polished as long as one nail was bare. The alternative was a french manicure over my acrylic nails which she said would be fine. i don't think that's such a good idea because you can hardly see through the acrylic..it just appears that you can... but I played dumb and opted for the french manicure and peach toes....I figure these days they need to have a better way to check my oxygen and stuff other than nail color ...at least I hope so...lol....I lived and my nails still look good!!!!
Unread 05-21-2004, 11:53 PM
Nail polish

You know it's not my fingernails so much that I care about so much, because they'll look fine in clear. It's my toes! I was really wanting to have a pedicure done and have pretty toes, especially since I wouldn't be able to do them myself for a good long while. Bummer!
Unread 05-22-2004, 07:12 AM
Nail polish

Every hospital has different procedures. My pre-op instructions were written out and crystal clear: "Do not wear make-up, nail polish or jewelry the day of surgery. You may wear contact lenses. Bring your case so that you can remove them before surgery. You will also be asked to remove dentures, partial plates, or other prosthesis (which would include nail extensions) before surgery." They did tell me I could keep my wedding ring on; they would tape it during surgery.

Just my own personal opinion: I preferred to be as "natural" as possible, because even with all the new high tech equipment I believe if there is a chance they can spot a potential problem by being able to observe my nail beds or the color of my face, etc and not waiting for the machine to tell them something may be wrong (because machines do malfunction) then I wanted to give them that possible early warning time.

A manicure and/or pedicure would be something to look forward to as an outing a couple of weeks after surgery.
Unread 05-23-2004, 05:56 AM
Nail polish

When I read no nail polish I didn't even think about my toenails. My TAH was done after an admission through the ER, so that wasn't even an issue. Now I'm going in for a planned surgery on Tuesday. I always wear toenail polish. I hate the thought of leaving my ugly toes naked for everyone to see.
Unread 05-23-2004, 06:22 AM
Nail polish

They told me no fingernail or toe nail polish, and no acrylic nails, either. I'd had acrylics last year, but grew tired of them so took them off.

The weird thing is, my natural nails have now grown to the length and consistency of my old acrylics! So I was really psyched and ready for a good old-fashioned manicure, but I didn't do it, since I knew they'd put some kind of polish on. As I understand it, it is because they need to monitor your nail bed/color.

Oh, and about your toes? They might be covered up the whole time, and no one will see them anyway! When I was in the pre-op room the morning of my surgery, the nurse put little booties on my feet, the kind with the treads on the bottoms. I kept booties like this on the whole day and night, up until the time I left the next day. (I was grateful for this, as my feet do get cold!) I also had these wraps around my lower legs that inflated and deflated regularly, to aid in leg circulation, since I wasn't doing a whole lot of walking. And I stayed covered up, in bed!

In my pre-op instructions, they also told me no glasses, contacts, removeable dental work like bridges, and I couldn't wear my wedding band or cross (necklace), either; I just left them at home.

I have braces on my bottom teeth, but those were OK, of course. I was kinda worried I'd clamp my top teeth down during surgery or something and break them, but my doctor assured me I couldn't do that . This led to all sorts of weird "braces dreams" prior to surgery, but that's another story!

Empressnrmi, why don't you treat yourself to a pedicure and a manicure once you're recovering? Might be a nice "outing!" Combine it with a lunch or something.

Lisa
Unread 05-23-2004, 06:31 AM
Nail polish

Hello my sisters! When the admissions from the castle called me she emphasized no nail polish. Then I asked about toe nails and she said, no polish on the toenails either (pooh! lol) I plan on going for a manicure and pedicure right before I go to the castle (so I will feel like a going in ! ) and will just have them use clear polish.
Unread 05-23-2004, 07:02 AM
Nail polish

Quote:
Originally posted by Deester59
When the admissions from the castle called me she emphasized no nail polish. Then I asked about toe nails and she said, no polish on the toenails either I plan on going for a manicure and pedicure right before I go to the castle and will just have them use clear polish.
Polish is polish, whether it is clear or colored. Since they emphasized to you no polish, they mean no polish.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register