Questions about Colposcopy results | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about Colposcopy results Questions about Colposcopy results

Unread 05-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Questions about Colposcopy results

ok, i go through the military drs, and last year when i was in my second trimester, (sorry) they did a colposcopy on me, and told me it was normal and i should come back 10 weeks post partum.. and well, now as we are getting ready to move back across country next month, i got a copy of my medical records.. and for the report that i have here, it says that my "smears" came out with these results.. I know i have the cancer causing strain of HPV, and this is what is says, " the risk of of progression to high grade squamous (? have no clue what that means) intraepithelial lesion (hsil) or cervical cancer is present.. " i am taking that to mean that there are cancer cells in my cervics. I called my aunt who knows alot about this stuff and she sent me here. I am at a loss, i have no clue what to do... I do know that i have had problems with my paps since i was 16 yrs, (the last 10 yrs now, ) and that for the last 4 yrs i have had to go in every 3 to 4 months for a pap, or a biopsy/colpo... But if any of you ladies could help me to better understand what it going on before i have to to the doctor next, which won't be until sometime later this summer i would be greatful. I just want to know so that way i can't be told again that it is not important nor does it require attention at this time.. i will be doing more research on it too, i don't want to be told no more that it is not serious...
Thank you in advance..
goofyshoes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2004, 01:54 PM

Wow, that's pretty vague!
Did the pap smears say anything else? Like low grade lesions? (lgsil) already present? Or CIN I/II/III? Was this info given in a report with the HPV dna result?
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that you have cancerous cells already, just a condition that puts you a higher risk for progression to cancerous cells.
There's a good website with info on the Bethesda System and what it means; you might find what you're looking for there:
www.aafp.org/afp/20031115/1992.html .
Good luck with your research...and your results.
Unread 05-23-2004, 12:06 PM

It said there were HSIL cells, or cervical cancer present on the colposcopy results, and the results were given with the HPV dna reuslts too. but it didn't have the grade system that civilian doctors normally use.. military drs. have a different way of grading them. that is what one of my drs told me 4 yrs ago when this all started. i have had only 2 normal paps in the last 4 yrs. and i don't know how many biopsy's and colopscopy's.
thanks for the website too..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register