Pre-Op Terrified | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Terrified Pre-Op Terrified

Unread 05-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Pre-Op Terrified

I am beyond apprehensive with regard to my upcoming surgery. I'm a mess. I can't get past the feeling that I will die on the surgery date. This is the second time I have been scheduled. The first time the anesthesiologist told me that if I got an upper respiratory infection, I could not have the surgery. I was so scared that 12 hours later, I was able to manifest pneumonia and 104 fever so the surgery did not go forward. These days, every time I go somewhere, or see someone, I keep thinking it will be my last time. My doctor has never had a patient die from a hysterectomy (he told me not to wreck his record) and the hospital said they have never had a woman die from a hysterectomy either. All I can think of is, "They're due!" It is so extreme that I am getting help with medicine and counseling, but none of these "experts" has had a hysterectomy. (I am dealing with all men here!) I read the former messages on this subject, but I feel mine is so extreme. Has anyone experienced this kind of pre-op terror? Do you have any techniques that worked for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2004, 09:50 PM
to: pinkpumpkin

Pinkpumpkin,

Okay...you just need to relax, girl!! You sound like me.!! I can get very worked up about something and the anxiety keeps growing and growing. You will drive yourself nuts, sweetie!!

I can suggest maybe getting a massage and doing some meditation exercises. Nothing extreme. Something where you close your eyes and center yourself. Maybe pick up an affirmation book at the book store and memorize some positive affirmations to say to yourself. You just need some happy thoughts!!

I can suggest exercising. I go to the gym and exercise my brains out on the stairmaster when I get stressed.

You WILL get through this!! All us Hyster Sisters had/have the same feelings you do. You are not alone!! This whole web site is full of Hyster Sisters just like you and me!! This is our sanctuary.

And the actual surgery?? I had a LSH instead of a TAH and I do not remember a second of my surgery. Yes...there is some post-op pain. But, I think one thing all us Hyster Sisters share is pre-op pain. And...the post-op pain will end.

And...hey... you don't want to ruin your Dr's track record, do you?? It sounds like he kids with you because he is a very qualified Dr. and he just wants to see you on the other side of surgery, leading a healthy life!!

Good Luck!!

P.S. I made up a will before surgery!! Actually - many Hyster Sisters do. Sometimes putting things in writing helps. It did with me!!
Unread 05-22-2004, 09:54 PM
Pre-Op Terrified

Hello, I'm 10 days away from my surgery and I have experienced some of your fears (Not waking up from anesthesia, etc.). I"m so busy that I've not had too much time to stress lately, but the unknown is on my mind. It's helped so much to hear the many success stories and encouragement from the sisters on this site. Also, so many women have had the surgery that I know as friends and co-workers. Talk to people and get their encouragement. Concerning anesthesia, my 17 year old daughter realized my worries and said, "Mom, it's a breeze. You'll go to sleep and wake up in the elevator like I did! Don't worry!" She had an emergency appendectomy when she was in the 4th grade. Just remember that the doctor's and nurses are professionals and are there watching over you every minute, doing their best. Stay busy and if you're a religious person, just know that that is a great source of comfort. Also, many will respond to this. They did for me when I voiced my concerns a few days ago about anesthesia. Keep us posted and remember to encourage others through this great site when your surgery is over! Hang in there! June 1st is my day- Prolapsed uterus, heavy bleeding resulting in anemia, and can't wait till I'm better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Pre-Op Terrified

All of us went through this am i gonna wake up after surgery thing, some more than others but we all thought about it im sure. The odds of you going out and getting hit by a mack truck tomarrow are probably higher than you not waking up from surgery. Probably the same kind of odds as airtravel verses auto travel. More people die in car accidents than in Airplane crashes as airplanes are more safe. Try to think of it as an airplane trip and all the pilots and stewardisses are well trained in their field and there for your comfort. Take a deep breath and relax. Keep yourself busy getting stuff ready for the castle visit and your recooperation after. Pre cook meals, clean house, shop, do laundry you will be so busy you wont have time to worry.
Good luck and have a speedy recovery.
Tango
Unread 05-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Pre-Op Terrified

I hear ya - I have 10 more days to go (June 1). Im more scared of the anestesia than of the surgery - always have been, but I keep thinking of my last surgery (gallbladder). I was so anxious at the hospital and when I finally met with the anethesiologist, I told him how anxious I was, I was crying and stuff. He said he would just give me something to relax me and the next thing I knew I was in my hospital room waking up and it was all over. It seemed like seconds, and I didnt remember a thing.

This will be the same I know, but sometimes I just cry thinking about it and get all panicy. I make myself think of how I trust God to see me through, and I visualize Jesus holding both my hands and calming me.
Unread 05-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Pre-Op Terrified

Hey Patti, Same day (June 1st) Girl! There was a link that I found through a reply I posted about fear of anesthesia that was awesome. It was a powerpoint slide show that was beautifully done and showed Jesus behind the surgeon guiding him every step of the way. I don't think I still have this. Does anyone know where this is. It was a comfort to me!
Unread 05-22-2004, 11:01 PM
Pre-Op Terrified

Yes I can relate to this, but I am a Christian and I ask God to give me peace about the whole thing and He does. My op is next week Monday the 31st May.......and I am busy getting EVERYTHING up to date. Its amazing how clean my house is at the moment. I hope that it will stay like this after my op. See noticed I said after my op....we are going to come though this. Its hard isn't it. I am having a total hyst taking my remaining ovary out as well. so I will be in menapause afterwards..Now thats a bit scary but I am not really thinking of this much as I am the actual op. I can't wait until I am back in the hospital bed and moving my legs. So yes I think that it is normal to feel this way but ask God to help you through it. He will. When are you scheduled to have your op? Take care.
Unread 05-23-2004, 02:27 AM
Welcome to anxiety !!!

I had a vag hyst may 13 - and guess what I lived thru it?

I was petrified - read my previous posts if u like - I made sure my Will was in order - my home and garden were neat - I casually said goodbye to the world - yep - I was 100% sure I wouldn't wake up from the surgery.

I cried heaps and heaps and heaps and NOBODY could make me believe I would LIVE thru it. Gyny, anesthatist, counsellor minister, nurses etc but I did! mmm Maybe u will too?

It's our ANXIETY darling. I have panic / anxiety - the dear anesthatist gave me 3 times the pre med ordinary ppl get, as I just cried the whole time he spoke to me at our interview! and of course it wasn't enough - I was still darn awake scared sh*tless when he gave me the lovely anesthestic (that I was particularly petrified of) to put me to sleep, I didn't even feel it creep thru my body, I was just back in bed with someone saying, it's all ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the op was over.

My darling lovely (anxiety ridden) women, u r NOT alone! A lot of us feel exactly like u do. Just complain a lot and get some drugs to calm u down until the op. Valium helped me immensely though not enough of course.

And please, think of all the other women who feel like u and I do. Some not as bad and some worse (nobody could be worse than me of course).

Please keep posting to this site as I will be thinking of u - I made it thru - come on - u can too darling - huuuuuuuuuuugs
Unread 05-23-2004, 04:08 AM
Pre-Op Terrified

Hi Pink! I didn't read all of the posts these wonderful ladies sent you because I am wacked out on meds right this minute. However, if you check all of my previous posts you will see that my hysteria matches your own. I was a wreck I knew I was going to die and I couldn't really put words to how afraid I was. Well, my sister bought non-refundable plane tickets so I couldn't cancel my surgery. Today is the 23rd, my surgery was on the 20th, I am telling you this you will be fine. If you are having surgery because you are in pain than it is likely that the pain you are in after surgery will be comparable to that. I am surprised at how much better I feel now (but I don't share that info with the dear hubby as he might think I can do to much!) You are strong, look at how much pain you have suffered physically and mentally already. I grew this surgery into a monster while waiting for it, and it turns out that it was no where near the pain or agony I thought it would be. My advice to anyone is this

1. Don't loose your voice-speak up in a nice informed way if your pain medication isn't working. There are many things they can try.

2. Take the stool softener, and bring an anti-gas product with you to the hospital (just in case they don't bring you enough) As a side note: I had very little problem with gas pain or constipation because I took Milk of Magnesia two nights before the surgery and then took tons of phazyme for gas and took milk of magnesia last night HOORAY no terrible gas pain or constipation.

3. Urinate as often as you can after the cath is out.

4. Relax!! and be the princess you are, don't over do anything, just rest.

Without HysterSisters I would have been lost. I will be praying for all of you and feel free to email me anytime.

Julia
Unread 05-23-2004, 04:53 AM
Pre-Op Terrified

Thanks Julia. Its so good to have this board. I was just looking at the risks of anesithea (can't spell) and one of them is overweight. guess what I am overweight, but I have lost a few kg's in the last month...Oh dear...I must keep trusting God and not letting this fear thing start up again. I am wishing it were this time next week cause it would be the next day........Am I making any sense at all........Anyway thanks...please feel free to e mail me. I tried to but it won't work for me as I think I have to pay for extra membership or something. You girls are great.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register