posterior repair...is this normal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

posterior repair...is this normal? posterior repair...is this normal?

Unread 05-23-2004, 03:18 PM
posterior repair...is this normal?

Hello all! I am a new member and need to ask a couple of questions...I can be "windy" so I will try and make it short ; )
4-15-04 I underwent an LAVH with posterior repair for a rectocele.
Upon arrival home it took me 2 1/2 weeks to have normal bm without laying down on a bed pan..to sit in upright position was excrutiating and I have a high tolerance for pain. Called doc and spoke with nurse. She stated it takes longer for some than others. After 3 weeks I can go but still have much discomfort. Without seeing me or talking to me my doc released me for work for 8 hour days. I did go for one week at half days and was tired but made it through. My DH and I went for a short vacation 4 weeks post-op and I rode in the car for about 2 hours. I was in so much pain I had to crawl on hands and knees to bathroom, and after cramping subsided was sore but ok. After we drove home next day while having BM I felt excrutiating pain and felt popping sensation 2 times. I saw doc and after examination he said he felt a bump near my tailbone about size of tip of finger and told me I had many internal stitches left and stated not to have intercourse for another 4 weeks (thatwould be total of 9 weeks). He stated the bump is probably a hematoma for a stitch seperating and stated he would write me off for more time...which he did...for another week and a half and then stated I could work a 64 hour work week after that. (2 12 hour shifts and 5 8 hour shifts in a row. I know I cannot physically do this yet. Is it normal for a doc to send you to work without seeing you first and can I get a second opinion this late in the game?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2004, 04:12 PM

I would say that if you're not recovered yet (as you clearly aren't going off your thread) you shouldn't be back to work yet. A little extra time off now might save you from complications in the long run and much more time off. Here in the UK they say you might need up to 12 weeks off (at the very least 8 weeks) following a hysterectomy. I have also had repairs at the same time as my hysterectomy and the posterior repair was by far the worst in terms of pain and recovery of the 5 procedures I had done! If you are not happy with your doctor then I would say it might be worthwhile getting a second opinion if only for peace of mind (hopefully one that will at least examine you before giving an opinion!!!).
GOOD LUCK.
Unread 05-23-2004, 04:31 PM

ukgal did you have trouble in the BM department too? Is this normal for posterior repair to have so much trouble with this? I still have a lot of pain and it would be nice at age 38 to talk and think about something else other than this but I cannot help it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2004, 05:56 PM
I had the posterior repair too...

My Dr put me on stool softeners right off the bat and warned me to do everything I can to keep my stool as he put it --like toothpaste or mashed potatoes no firmer than that. He really stressed that everytime I saw him as he said that straining and pushing like I was doing would undo all of his work. Check with your Dr and see if he/she has any suggestions to help you keep your bm's more tolerable. I'm using colace 4 a day and senna if I get backed up. I notice if I don't get all my water in for the day it causes me some pain. From what I have been told from others who have had this surgery it takes quite a while to get your system back to normal so you really have to watch what you eat. I have added fruit, veggies, and fiber to my diet, and had to stop eating peanuts, popcorn, cheese, and pasta of any kind. Just know that you are not the only one with this on your mind.

Good luck and take care!

: hug:
Unread 05-23-2004, 06:11 PM

I had a TVH/bladder sling/anterior & posterior repair on 5/4 and have had NONE of the problems you mention. I too was worried about the first BM .. it happened about 5 days post-op and was quite "normal." I drink lots of water .. took generic Colace for a while .. and have been quite regular. It does hurt to sit for long periods and sometimes I feel like I have a bowling ball up my butt .. but for the most part I feel great.
Your post-op pain sounds excessive. I say if your Dr. doesn't give you good answers, get a 2nd opinion!
Good luck to you!
Let us know how you are doing!
Kathy
Unread 05-23-2004, 09:27 PM

Thank you all for your great suggestions. I do take colace regularly and it does make it a little beter. It is nice to know I am not alone in this. I am going to make another appointment for a second opinion just for a piece of mind. My reg ob/gyn told me notto come see him for two months. Thanks for letting me blab on and hugs to you all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register