Go Lytely bowel prep...HELP!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Go Lytely bowel prep...HELP!! Go Lytely bowel prep...HELP!!

Unread 05-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Go Lytely bowel prep...HELP!!

Oh, the dumb stare I forgotten about what its like to get that one ... its maddening, for sure! I've gotten just about every other look imaginable from my doc, but not the dumb stare .. that's why he's still working for me!

Hang in there and DO keep us posted!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Why is it called go-lytely anyway?

There's nothing light about the way you go after drinking that stuff.

Best wishes today. Karen. Let us know how it all goes.

Laura
Unread 05-25-2004, 03:40 PM

Thanks Karen,

I've been drinking this stuff for 2 1/2 hours now. I look pregnant, fell like I'm going to explode. I bought the generic band and didn't get a flavor! Make sure you ask for a flavor. I haven't had any problems keeping it down, so far. 2 more glasses to go! Chug it! Cold really helps. It is a bite salty, kind of like when you gargle with salt water when you sick. I have been rinsing my mouth out with chiken broth to kill the taste. It seems to work good. I post you later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2004, 04:46 PM

Karen,
For me, the problem with the golytely is that you have to drink so darn much of it. By the time it's over I am absolutely ready to I did find that popping a mint in my mouth for a few minutes after drinking helped a little. I also have a problem in that the stuff takes a while to work, so while I'm gagging down the glasses my belly starts to swell.

For me though, the prep is the hardest part of the test. The test itself wasn't too bad. I've had several colonscopies and each time the doc's made sure I was properly sedated and if I so much as groaned they gave me more pain meds.

Good luck! Do let us know how you do.

Unread 05-26-2004, 09:39 AM

It does taste salty, but having it really, really cold helps a lot (chill the jug in the fridge a day before, before you mix it.) There's also a bit of a trick to changing the way you swallow so most of the liquid hits further back on your tongue on the way down. Not as many "salty" taste buds back there.

In my bathroom, the sink is next to the toilet, so once the "fireworks" started, I just brought the jug in the bathroom with me and stuck the jug in the sink with a bunch of ice cubes.

One thing to remember is that if you chug that much icy liquid in a short time, YOU'LL GET COLD. A big old sweatshirt in the bathroom is a good idea. Also, have several books. You may leave the bathroom from time to time to walk around, and you may find yourself running back in a hurry. You want SOMETHING to read, no matter where you wander.
Unread 05-26-2004, 09:58 PM
go lightly

I'm sure it has been said, but it bears repeating anyhow, make sure it as cold as possible and drink with a straw.. bi pass the taste buds. I dranks sips of ice water in-between.. I had to do 4 liters also but I only made it thru 3.
Good luck!
Unread 05-26-2004, 11:42 PM

Hi Karen,

Just wanted to update you. I made it! Drinking that stuff was bad but very improtant. Do what ever you have to to get it down. They told me if I didn't get cleaned out they would not be able to do the test. I had trouble with the last 2 glasses, but the thought of doing it again was worse. I had all my test today. they really did a great job keeping me medicated. I will go to the Dr. 6/4 to get all mt results and schedule my rectocele castle date. I was so happy it'r over. you'll do just fine. If a big baby like me can do it, so can you! Good luck!
Unread 05-27-2004, 04:42 AM

I remember the "GO Constantly" prep

It has been said.. COLD COLD COLD, and chug or use a straw. It was very salty to me.. I had lemon lime, and took a drink of sprite afterwards. I also used the mint method by sucking a mint while drinking and it helped. I remember that it was ALOT to drink and that the last few glasses were the hardest for me. It tasted like sea water.

I told my doc that if he ever gave me go lightly again.. I wanted him to match me glass for glass!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register