Different types of surgery to remove ovary | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Different types of surgery to remove ovary Different types of surgery to remove ovary

Unread 05-25-2004, 05:21 PM
Different types of surgery to remove ovary

Hi,
I had radical hysterectomy 11/96, left both ovaries, due to cervical cancer.
Removed right ovary in 11/99, due to cyst the size of a tennis ball.
I've been having cysts on my left ovary too, but they've been going away until now. I have a 5.5 cm cyst. My doctor says it must come out. I was cut vertically from belly botton down with both surgeries before. He says I'll have to be cut like that this time too.
My DH doesn't understand why I cannot have laproscopic surgery.
Does anyone know why they choose laproscopic over cutting you open?
In what cases do they remove an ovary laproscopically?
Any information would be greatly appreciated. I go for surgery in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2004, 06:03 PM

Hi,

Sorry you are facing another surgery. I am not sure why exactly you are not able to have it done laproscopically.

If you go to the top of the page and click on Resources there is a lot of info there on types of surgeries.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

s
Unread 05-25-2004, 06:43 PM

Your doctor probably told you you had no other choice of surgery because he doesn't know how to do the laparascopic procedure. There aren't many doctors right now that do. But it would be worth it to you to try and find one before you resolve yourself to be cut vertically. The main reason for not being a candidate for laparascopic surgery is the size of a fibroid or uterus being too big. To just remove one ovary should easily be done laparascopically. Please try to find a doctor in your area that can help you. Even if it means getting rid of someone you've gone to for a while. It's your body and your recovery. Don't let anyone but a skilled laparascopic surgeon tell you that you are not a candidate. It happens all the time to women. You might postpone your current surgery until you get your questions answered.

Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2004, 08:14 PM
You can ABSOLUTELY have it removed laparoscopically!

I had my right ovary removed in 2002 and it was done laparoscopically. In fact, they took it out through a teeny, tiny incision in my belly button. There is no visible scar and I was back at work a week after the surgery.

Please, please, please get a second opinion and, if necessary, find another surgeon who is willing to do the surgery via lap. There is no reason you need to go through major abdominal surgery if, in fact, the only thing that needs to be removed is your ovary.

Best wishes!
Unread 05-25-2004, 08:24 PM
OVARY REMOVAL

FRIDAY I AM GETTING MY LEFT OVARY REMOVED LAPROSCOPICALLY. I WILL ONLY HAVE AN OPEN SURGERY IF THERE ARE COMPLICATIONS. PLEASE CHECK AROUND MORE.
Unread 05-26-2004, 12:05 AM

Quote:
To just remove one ovary should easily be done laparascopically.
  Quote:
There is no reason you need to go through major abdominal surgery if, in fact, the only thing that needs to be removed is your ovary.
That is not always the case...

(((justsj))) Because you had cancer in the past your doctor may not want to risk doing the ovary removal by laparascopic surgery. If there is even a remote chance of possible cancer they want to be sure and get the entire ovary removed in one piece. With a larger incision they have a larger area to work in. Sit down with your doctor and thoroughly go over the details of your situation. You could also get another doctor's opinion - be sure they know you have had cancer in the past - that is critical information.

I am having laparascopic surgery next week (June 4th) for ovary removal. The plan is for the surgery to be laparascopic but I was told that if anything serious is found when they get inside a larger incision might need to be made.

If your surgery is not an emergency situation be sure you are well informed and prepared for the surgery.

s
Unread 05-26-2004, 04:21 PM

I think that is a question that only your doctor can answer. It may be that he wants to make sure that he can see everything. I've had surgeries both ways and both are surgery. Granted, a laproscope doesn't involve as much cutting, but depending on the work involved it can still take awhile to recooperate.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:45 PM

It is almost always a good idea to get another opinion if you're uncertain about any aspect of your upcoming surgery. The exception would be if you're in a situation where there is a time factor and the surgery must be done immediately, for example to save your life.

Have you asked your DR why it's necessary to have another large incision? It's very possible that he feels it's important to get a clear view of not just the ovary but the entire surrounding area during the surgery, to make sure there isn't something else that needs attending to.

It's also possible that he's concerned about doing a laparascopic procedure given your prior cancer history. There is risk involved with using a morcellator on tissues which *may* (even if the possibililty is slight) contain cancerous cells, and your DR may just be being cautious.

The only way to know for sure why your DR wants to do an open procedure is to ask him. Perhaps it would be a good idea to bring your DH with you to the appointment so he can ask the questions if he is the one raising them. Again, if time is not of the essence, another opinion would be worthwhile, even if all it does is restore faith in your current DR's judgment.

Will you be able to use HRT after your ovary is removed? You might want to also discuss this with your DR beforehand so you aren't surprised afterwards... and spend some time in the Hormone Jungle - No Hormone Desert Oasis Resource Links directories as well as both of those forums, so you can get some ideas of how you will handle life without ovaries.

Good luck with your surgery! Let us know how it goes, OK?
s,
-Linda
Unread 05-26-2004, 08:51 PM

talked with dr. today.
he explained that i have too much scar tissue from previous surgeries and that's why i can't have lapro.

we haven't talked much about hormones. guess we'll see how i do after surgery.

will keep you updated on my progress.
Unread 06-02-2004, 03:20 AM
I had lapro

I had lapro to remove my ovaries and I honestly would not recommend it to anyone. My right ovary was adhered to the pelvic wall and when he scraped it off he severed my uterer. Then blew off my pains as gas and constipation for 3 weeks. I ended up going to the emergency room for this and they discovered the severed uterer and that my abdomen had filled up with 4 liters of urine. I ended up being in the hospital for 8 days that time, had a nephrostomy tube done (which is worse pain than I have ever experienced) they had tried to insert a stent through this on 4 different occasions which were unsuccessful. I ended up having to have surgery to repair my uterer and also repair my bladder, due to all of this. I personally think if I had been opened up for the removal of the ovaries this would never had happened. But I do have the lovely scar from belly button down to privates now because of his mess up, and also a real ugly 2 in circle scar on my back. I wish you the very best with this surgery and my thoughts are with you.

Barbara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register