Different types of surgery to remove ovary - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Different types of surgery to remove ovary Different types of surgery to remove ovary

Unread 06-02-2004, 03:49 AM
Different types of surgery to remove ovary

Hi Just

Laparascopy is far more complicated than most people realise, in those people who have already had abdominal surgery. After surgery, those adhesions can become quite life threatening if undertaking a laparsocopic procedure. I remember in recovery, one very well qualified surgeon told another lady that she had a very serious complication because of adhesions and that had he had known this he would not have done the laparoscopy.

So trust in your surgeon - having had serious abdominal surgery before, you will have adhesions and so he is trying to minimise the risks. not take the easy way out.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2004, 08:43 AM

I am sorry you have to deal with this. That is a nightmare and I hope that all goes well with you. You just never know. My gyn advised that he will do the lap of the removal of my remaining ovary but that after looking around with the camera and he feels that he can't take the ovary via the small incision or that things don't look the norm since my ovary appears to be "suspicious", he will have to make a larger 8 inch incision to remove it. I worry about being away from work for a long period of time since last year I was out for 10 weeks for my TVH, etc. With the lap I'd only be out for 2 weeks. My thoughts and prayers are with you and for those scheduled for surgeries this week. Jilly
Unread 06-06-2004, 12:33 PM

Hi,

I don't know if you've been for your surgery yet. I am having surgery this coming Tuesday, June 8th to remove a 7.2 cm syst on my right ovary. I guess they are taking the ovary out as well. My doctor plans to do this laprascopically. I am hoping he can. I had a TAH in 2002 and kept both of my ovaries, the right one has caused trouble continually. I don't know why they can't do it that way with you. He said only if they are unable to get it out that way first.

Good luck,

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2004, 08:59 AM

Hey,
No, I have my surgery on 6/22/04.
My doctor told me that I have too much scar tissue from my previous surgeries, (radical hysterectomy 11/96 & remove right ovary 11/99) to do myine that way.
That's why he's going to cut an incision.

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 06-07-2004, 09:38 AM

Thank you, it is tomorrow. I am very nervous. They gave me reglan to take this morning and I am having a bad reaction to it. Now to drink the gallon of stuff as well.

Good luck to you too,

Cindy
Unread 06-07-2004, 03:20 PM

Cindy, you sound like my situation although my cyst isn't as large as yours. I am curious your outcome since I'm facing the same surgery and want to know how you do. Now seeing other nightmarish posts, I haven't had adominal surgery before, so I think I'll be fine, I trust your dr. My best to you in your surgery tomorrow. Jill.
Unread 06-07-2004, 03:28 PM

Thank you, I will let you know. I had a large cyst that burst when I was 14 and had an abdominal incision for that. Then a c-section, then a laporoscopy, then a TAH in 2002 that I stayed awake for. That was supposed to be done laproscopically but I got too nervous before the surgery and decided to have it done that way. What a mistake that was! Now I am just hoping they can take the cyst and ovary out laproscopically so I don't have to go through that again! I would like my doctor to take out both ovaries, but he will not. I just can't imagine having to go through this again and he said my left ovary was somewhere behind my bowel. Hopefully not adhered to it. I just was not ready for this. I went for my annual exam thinking I was doing well and then two weeks later having surgery that I just found out about on Friday...

Take care,

Cindy
Unread 06-09-2004, 03:27 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just got back from my surgery, I guess it went ok. They were able to do everything laproscopically. I guess as he was going in to get one cyst, it burst and was bleeding. Then the second, larger one required a bigger incision through my belly button. They were able to remove the right ovary, it was attached to my stomach. They said the left one was somewhere in my bowel. He also said it looked like endometrial stuff stuck to my ovary. Now I am wondering if it will grow back on the other one. If I could do it over, I would've had the ovaries removed with the hysterectomy the first time. Just hoping I won't have to go back for the left side anytime too soon. Other than a fat lip they gave me from the tube they stick down your throat, not too bad. Good luck to everyone else!

Cindy
Unread 06-09-2004, 07:02 PM

Cindy, I am glad to hear things went well. How do you feel now that the surgery is over with? Are you able to get around better than when you had the hysterctomy? Just like to know what it's like to have the lap done.

I was wondering how come your doc didn't take the other one too? Let's hope you don't have to do this ever again. Glad to hear you're back with us! Take care. Jill
Unread 06-10-2004, 03:12 PM

Hi,

I am moving around a bit slow, but it's only been 2 days. I had a TAH, so it's not quite that bad. In a little bit of pain today, but that is too be expected. I go back to the doctor next Wednesday.

Good luck,

Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register