the castle again ( GERD update ) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

the castle again ( GERD update ) the castle again ( GERD update )

Unread 05-25-2004, 11:38 PM
the castle again ( GERD update )

This is the too lazy to retype syndrome :
Hi everyoe from the cyber world .

Im out of hospital now .. but the cause was the same as the last time about in april .. nausea .. I had ity for so long .. as long as my son is old but its the first time these few months it got back enough for anyone to investigate. On sunday I felt sicker . On Monday the walk in clinic gave me a jab . On tues the 18th I puked in the Drs clinic and he wantedt o admit me.I wanted to go home to search for some documents.I had a letter that he gave me to show the the ER staff ( AnE to us ) .

I couldnt locate the documents and had to lodge a report at the station . The meds I got in the jab on Monday made me so drowsy I had what I could call amnesia . Cdnt remember where I had been or what I had done . When i got back to the Er that evening I was hooked to a drip and had to stay .

It wasnt the KFC that did me in but something that had got bad this year . I had an awful test done . Something called the ph motility where they thread a tube through your nose to your gut and leave it there attached to a portable monitor for 24 hour . Getting it in was agonising . Getting it out was easy . This is meant to check on whether I have active GERD .

Whats scary is that if it gets bad and cant be controlled by meds I may face surgery where they tighten the entrance to my stomach but thats a last resort . The surgery causes problems too so its a pro and cons thing.The Dr was pretty frank .He said that once done I would have problems puking if i I ever needed to puke but it would also solve the gerd if I had it . Its not something they want to explore right now . SO I guess thats why the checks and the meds and follow ups .

mei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2004, 04:44 AM

Oh ((((mei)))) sounds like you've been through an awful lot, again. How scary it must have all been

I sure hope you will not end up needing that surgery

In the meantime, here's a link to our Resources Database, specifically to all the resources we've compiled on GERD. Just click here for the GERD Resources Database.

Sending lots of s your way. And do take good care of yourself.
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:45 AM

Thanks so much. I will definitely look into it

What bothers me now is the uncertainty of everything .If they find something its both good and bad news .

Good because i have something to blame my distress on LOL .. and bad because I really am sick ,

I think Im in denial . I have always been active and this is really upsetting . I gues Im denying im sick *blush*

mei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2004, 06:12 AM
Gerd

hey Cow ,

In regards to gerd, I also had that test and the surgery done for it as I didnt have a choice the acid reflux was not responding to any medication i took.

I did find out that my sphincter valve was not working it was staying open so it was eating away my esophagus , so I had no choice but have the surgery.

There are a few drawbacks to it like you said as you cannot vomit every again as they close that off so what ever goes down will never come up again.

But all in all for me anyway it was the best thing I ever did as I was really sick before it, the recovery period for is long but it fixed the problems I had.

I was nervous about getting sick having the hysterectomy for that reason but they asssured me if i did to tell nurses right away but thank god I didnt.

Well if you have any questions about it , just give me a yell or email me will be glad to answer any questions that you have that I do know about it.

Well take care ladies
Unread 05-27-2004, 06:56 AM

it hasnt come to a point where surgery is needed as yet ... but since you have had it done .. what happens if you get say food poisoning and need to puke but cant ? Does your stomach umm burst or strain ?

Im also fed up with explaining again and again that sometimes GERD is NOT because you eat a bad diet or something . It could be a structural problem like I have adhesions . The fact is I feel that when one part of the digestive tract goes to sleep because of some structural defect the rest get affected in some way or another because somewhere there is a pile up.

I sometimes feel frustrated because those idiots make me look dumb as though I dont understand dietary matters in their eyes .. often forgettiong that I used to teach PE , have some background i n basic health sciencess and run the obesity club so Im not a total dumb dumb .

mei
Unread 05-27-2004, 07:33 AM
gerd

Well i havent had food poisening here but I have had stomach flus where you do get the dry heaves but nothing ever comes out.

Sometimes it does feel better to get it out but you can't as all you do is get the dry heaves.

Oh geesh isnt this a lovely topic lol

I had the surgery done about 5 years ago here, recovery took about a year id say as you have a hard time eating for a while, you do lose a lot of weight in that year, when you are going through it you think if it was worth all of it but I was so sick with gerd and if i didnt i would of had esphogus cancer as the acid was eating that away it was full of ulcers, now I am grateful I had it done , I can eat anything now and I never have heartburn or anything now.
Unread 05-27-2004, 07:14 PM

My symptoms started with burping .. tonnes of burping .. just gas initially ...

then as years passed the burping got more violent and eventually food started coming up with each burp if I had eaten .

The gastroscope in april didnt reveal any lesions but I had a slightly lax haitus . Lately I get heartburn if I lie back after a meal .

So it may not be far advanced enough to warrant surgery yet . And yes I have to agree ... it makes you feel really sick .

Like I said it bothers me that other people who have not heard of GERD get so judgemental .

I hate whining LOL but darn Im so tired today . I just swept the floor and Icant bring myself to use the Magic wiper (swiffer ) to finish the job as I usually do .

mei
Unread 05-28-2004, 05:38 AM
gerd

Yes sounds like yours might be able to be controlled with medication , if so that is the way to go if it works.

I was much more advanced then that with gerd, I would regurtitate food back up and have constant hearburn where it was so bad it would double me over, also I had to sleep sitting up and even that wouldnt help much as I coughed all night long as when you lie down is when the acid reflux gets worse , so mine would be really bad at night so it would cause me to cough all night as it was irratation my eshphogus.

My readings for the ph test where you have it for 24 hours they said was off the wall, I also had to have another one simalar to that but they hooked you up to a machine , at least you didnt go home with that darn thing.

They try all the meds first the surgery is a last resort, I tried all differant kinds and doses for a year but things kept getting worse so I really didnt have a choice.

I would suggest to you to try the meds first there might be one kind that works for you as it is a better alternative but if they work be prepared to be on them for life, but it really is a better alternative.
Unread 05-28-2004, 05:55 AM

Hi, I have read your posts for quite awhile now, and felt so badly for all you have gone through. I am glad to see you are communicating with someone who has been where you are, gotten beyond it, and and can hold your cyber-hand through this new journey. I so pray that you will be able to control this with medication and not have to resort to more surgery. You must be so glad to have found this site. It is amazing to me still, that with any problem that comes up, there is someone out there that can give you first hand advice or comfort or both!
I wish you all the best, and will be looking for your updates.
s Leslie
Unread 05-28-2004, 06:36 AM

Leslie :
Thanks ,I turn to hystr sisters for that reason LOL . I dont know of anyone here with active GERD although there are those that complain to me after hearing my story about how bloated they feel etc etc .Its pretty misunderstood here . Tell the old folks here about GERD they start to lecture you about how you should eat better ... more ... more of this etc etc .. which is what you shouldnt do!!!

Judy :
If the surgery could cure the condition I wouldnt hesitate .Its because medication is still working that Im sticking with it for now . Because I know that surgery may in future cause more problems with my adhesiosn that bad . I do wonder though those dry heaves sound nasty . Have you ever heard of anyone who has ruptured the wrap ?

Its scray

mei

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register