the castle again ( GERD update ) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

the castle again ( GERD update ) the castle again ( GERD update )

Unread 05-28-2004, 07:12 AM
Gerd

Yep dry heaves are not fun for sure but when you get the flu even someone that diddnt have this do get them.

And as for the wrap, the answer would be no I have not heard of the wrap coming undone, I had asked the doctor the same thing of course they have to tell you it is possible but I guess it is rare.

What the surgery actually does is make a new sphicter valve, you do lose a section of your stomach but just a small portion as they use that for that wrap, that is why you lose weight but belive me you can gain it back lol

I had dropped quite a bit in the first year and grant you I wasnt complaining lol. I thought I would keep it off as I kept it off for a few years but low and behold now I have gained most of it back over the years.

Really the only time it is a pain is when you get a stomach flu, otherwise you don't feel any differant then anyone else.

But like I said most people do respond with medication, there are so many differant kinds out there today and my doctor even tried mixing all differant ones, at the end he told me I was maxed out on them and there was no other alternative , so try all the other options first and go from there would be my suggestion.

I do hope you find one that works for you

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2004, 07:47 AM
the castle again ( GERD update )

Judy I think the firts step would be the appointment for the results on the 8th of June . Im nervooussss to be frank

I wonder what will come out fo the meeting with the doctor ?

mei
Unread 05-28-2004, 09:30 AM
Gerd

Well what I would do is make a list of questions to ask him or her.

Ask about medication that you can try as if you do not have lesions it might not be that bad.

I wouldnt be nervous about it as its just a visit, believe me if your result came out real bad they would of called you, but I can understand how you can be nervous, I think we all our when it is something unknown.

There are tons on sites on the net I would do lots of research and write down some questions you have so when you go you wont forget to ask them.

But before you get the surgery, get another opion as I had got two and they both said the same.

It isnt a surgery that is done all the time like I had said and both doctors told me the same its a last resort if all else does not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2004, 10:58 AM

(((mei))):

Some questions to ask: what proton pump inhibitors can you continue to take (such as Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid) and for how long? They cut off the acid production in your stomach, but for some, that can inhibit digestion. I've accepted the fact that I'm on Nexium for life, but I've also found that taking digestive enzymes and a type of stomach-coating agent help me to get my food to stay down. I also try not to eat too many acid foods; for example, here in the States,there is a type of orange juice that has had the acid neutralized. I don't eat tomatoes any more .

Again, here in the U.S., there's an endoscopic surgery that they can do (through the gastroscope) to repair the valve; it's not for everyone, but the results seem to be similar to the "wrap" procedure that's been discussed. I would ask at what point your doctor will consider surgery; if you don't want surgery, ask about different meds and/or higher doses; for example, Prevacid doesn't do a thing for me, but Nexium works pretty well. At the worst of my GERD, I was taking Nexium twice a day along with Zantac at meals .

Sometime, GERD is caused by mechanical problems; I have a hiatal hernia that causes trouble with mine. In that case, the discussed surgeries won't help, unless you address the underlying problem. Be careful about chewing your food thoroughly, and not swallowing large bites; the saliva helps break down the food and make it a bit less acidic. One of the reasons I had such trouble with the reflux is that due to auto-immune problems, I don't make enough saliva, so my food wasn't breaking down as it should. I started being really careful about how I ate, and about eating small amounts more frequently, and although my GERD has not disappeared, it's improved to the point that I can use just one Nexium a day for now.

Good luck, and I sure hope you get some answers. One of the medications is running advertising here, where they show someone being handed some delicious-looking food; the person looks at it, and a thought bubble appears showing fire or some other unpleasant association (I don't remember the details of the campaign right now). I mentioned to my DH, when we saw one of these commercials, that the person who'd come up with the idea obviously suffered from GERD him or herself. It so captured how I now look at food -- not, "is it good?" or even "is it on my diet," but rather, "how sick is this food going to make me." It gets old after a while, and I've dealt with this in one form or another for at least twenty years...

Audrey
Unread 05-28-2004, 08:34 PM

Audrey :
Im on Losac ( Omeprazole ) <sp?> its pretty similar to famothidine ( sp ?) .

Im guessing the drugs we get here arent really the same in name as where you come from .

What you say makes sense . Its no wonder that while I get relief and dont burp as actively when Im on losac , should I throw up for whatever reason as I did in the hospitaal , I saw partially digested food coming up .

I had a date with the dietician and it was helpful . Eat smaller meals , avoid dairy /oil etc etc

Right now the team is slowly trying to eliminate a m,echaanical problem .

Judy :
Im slowly reseaching and the pieces are falling into place now . Im pretty sure I have mild GERD at least and its not helping that I have Intestinal adhesions .

As for surgery I only worry about the dry heaves . If its needed I would go for it if it promises relief .

mei
Unread 05-28-2004, 09:11 PM

(((Mei))):

Yes, Losac is Nexium. There's another medication, called Reglan here, that speeds up transit through your system so you don't get those partially-digested burps (been there, got the T-shirt). I decided not to try it, but it's helped my DD who lost her large intestine at birth.

The digestive enzymes do help, as do mini-meals; of course, they're hard to do when you've got kids and when you're not in the mood to eat anyway!

Intestinal obstructions can certainly lead to the type of problem you're having; the test that can diagnose that is where they give you an egg-salad sandwich (at least, that's what I got) which has been tagged with a radioactive isotope. They then track its progress through your system, and that's how they can see if your stomach is contracting properly. An upper GI with small-bowel follow-through can also tell them a lot, although that's a test that can take a while if your digestion is slowed!

Hope you're getting some answers soon; I really did find the digestive enzymes quite helpful.

Audrey
Unread 05-28-2004, 09:42 PM

I was supposed to get the smal bowel loops thing done but bec there were two tests on that day they cancelled the small bowel thing in favour of the ph motility test which ws dreadful LOL

I would rather have the glow in the dark stuff through my rear end .

mei
Unread 05-29-2004, 01:10 AM

GERD affects your social life . Imagine having to run to the toilet to throw up because you had a violent burp . I sometimes find it hard to think positively about my illness . Yet chirp on I do .. I guess its better than crying . At least its not life threatening

mei
Unread 05-29-2004, 02:01 AM

Mei

I had the Lap Nissen surgery last September. The surgery was successful and yes it's true that you will not be able to vomit. For that reason I keep Phenergan Suppository's in the refrigerator. I haven't had to use them yet (knock on wood )
Unread 05-29-2004, 05:55 AM

Phenergen lovely thing it is NOT *L*

The walk in clinic jabbed me with it .. likewise I had it twice in the ward and it drone me straight to sleep within half an hour

mei

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register