the castle again ( GERD update ) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

the castle again ( GERD update ) the castle again ( GERD update )

Unread 05-29-2004, 07:50 AM
gerd

ding,

I had the Nissen Fundoplication done about 5 years ago here and have never had to use that, thank god.

Have to ask you something though since you had that done do you notice that you hiccup more then you used to, I do notice that I do hiccup more and burp less, not that it is bad but it is just something that I have noticed over the years since I have had this done.

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2004, 01:30 PM
the castle again ( GERD update )

Mei,
It does have that effect , at least your sleeping and not feeling the need to

Judy,
Yes I do hiccup more... with everything I eat , I would assume that's because the wrap is tight enough? Are you able to eat a full meal?
We went out to a Mexican Restaurant and all of the sudden I became full! I felt like I wanted to explode! it was the worst feeling ever, and the strange thing was I didn't feel full while I was eating, it just came on all the sudden

I haven't needed the "little silver bullet" yet, my Doc insisted that I have them just encase.
Unread 05-29-2004, 04:05 PM
gerd

ding,

It took me a long time before I could eat a full meal, I had lost a lot of weight as I ate the amount a child eats for a while, but over time you eat a little more little by little and don't really notice it.

I had kept the weight off for a good few years but very slowly I did gain it back as I increased the amount I ate, I am now at the weight I was at before the surgery , but since you just had this last September , I am sure you are still at the stage where you dont eat a lot. But it will increase over time and as far as how u feel , if you over eat you do feel it, which isnt a lot as you cant eat much anyway, but as time goes by that goes away also.

My surgeon at the time said it could take about a year to feel right and he was just about right, I was still having some discomfort at that stage but not to long after that did I finally feel better.

I hope this helps you some but it does get better over time.

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2004, 06:14 PM

Judy,

On the flip side......Life is great being GERD free
Unread 05-29-2004, 07:32 PM

ahhhhhh someone who understands what its like to have to eat small tiny portions .... (((HUGS)))

as for the sleep but not barf thing .. I have two young kids I need to watch .. walk to school .. cook for etc .

I have had the highest number of my knife ( kitchen accidents ) when Im under meds like tht so I try to avoid getting sleepy if I can )

mei
Unread 05-29-2004, 10:07 PM
A surgery gerd pro

I have had a nissen fundoplication done twice. I am living proof that it does fail. Actually, my first one was very poorly done and failed after two years. You do not want a "slipped Nissen". It was just awful. Actually about 15 percent of the time the wrap fails. My reccomendation is to find the best surgeon inthe US to do the surgery. This operation requires a broad learning curve. My first surgeon had done 80, and he let a student close me at the end of the surgery. The second surgeon who did the redo had done over 800 plus 40 redos. He also has published over 100 papers in peer review journals including the New England JOurnal of medicine. He did a great job. I had the PH study with the tube down my nose, and failed the test. No acid. My problem was not acid, my problem was regurgitated food coming back up. Not from a hiatal hernia, but from a wide open esophageal junction and delayed gastric emptying.
The surgery does work wonders for GERD, but it does have side-effects and some problems. The wrap can cause a tight feeling in your stomach right below your ribcage. ALso, you do have less stomach, and scar tissue can form. They have been finding out that the surgery can cause delayed gastric emptying, also called gastroparesis, a nasty problem. Sometimes it goes away after a few months, but it can be permanent.
Weigh the pros and cons carefully before having this surgery done. If I had it to do over again, I do not know if I would have it done or not. Sharon
Unread 05-29-2004, 10:45 PM

althpough I do get heartburn off and on I sense my problem may not really be acid flowing back up but food coming up .. if it were acid I would probably have had lesions long ago .

Dont now why Im so amused yet Im not . LOL Im fighting nausea right this minute. WHY ? because silly billy me ( DH went haha ) decided to try going without the meds this morning .

mei
Unread 05-30-2004, 06:09 AM
Gerd

Wow followtheriver that must of been awful having it done twice, I know what I went through once.

I guess I was lucky as I had one of the top notch surgeons here, my gastroligist at the time said he wanted me to go to the best as all my tests came out so bad they werent sure if I also had other problems, and at the time they only gave me a 60% success rate because of how my tests came out but luckily it worked. They thought at the time I might of had esophagus spasm disorder to but werent sure as the tests showed I was having spasms very bad, they didnt have to tell me that boy did I know lol.

Can you elaberate on what the symtomns were for you for slipped nisson, that way we know if it happens to us but I do thank god that so far it has worked.

Judy
Unread 05-30-2004, 07:53 PM

Im spooked out already but ready to face whatever c omes next . Its the word lifelong committment that Im wary oof .

I guess if it come to that point where surgery is needed Im prepared to go ahead with it .

mei

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register