Need Sonogram To Find Out If Cyst Or Not | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need Sonogram To Find Out If Cyst Or Not Need Sonogram To Find Out If Cyst Or Not

Unread 05-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Need Sonogram To Find Out If Cyst Or Not

Hi, I am new to this board I did read a whole lot on here and am so glad I found it. I am just 40 years old I had a hysterectomy in 1992 because of prolapse utererus bladder etc. I dont regret getting it. But since then I been diagnosed with fibrocystic breast and had 2 solid tumors removed both benign. And today I saw a new doctor because of mine retired (I loved him) , but anyways she did a rectrovaginal exam ( first one I ever got) and was very concerned about my ovaries she said that they are full and it might be a cyst. and then proceded to ask about my bowel movements . I told her I feel constipated alot and sometimes I have them but then the same hour I have to go back(to the bathroom) because I didnt clear out (hard to explain) but other times I am ok. So I now have an apointment with the hospital to have a sonogram done tomarrow. I am scared out of my wits about this because I looked up ovarian cancer I have some of the signs I am always tired, I have weird bowel changes, I dont have any pain etc. Could this be a cyst like she said? I dont trust to many doctors and because the doctor wanted me to have this tomarrow I am scared because she wants it done right away . So now of course I come home and I already have my self haveing ovarian cancer. Every time I go to the OBGYN I have something I get so scared because I have to always got to the hospital for something . Can anyone shed any light on this for me to maybe ease my mind . Thanks so much you all probably think Im nuts now (sorry) Also the script is for pelvic mass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2004, 03:58 PM

Hi there...I am having surgery Monday because of two cysts (each one over 8 cm), one on each ovary. There is a possibility of malignancy due to the complex nature of one of the cysts. Both cysts were found on ultrasound -- regular pelvic and transvaginal. Ask to have the transvaginal if they only give you the pelvic (the equivalent of a plastic penis is inserted into your vagina -- can see the cysts better). If the cyst is 'simple' (fluid filled) it is almost always benign. If it is termed 'complex' (solid or with solid components/septated/irregular/bilateral) there is a chance that it could be malignant. You should also get a CA 125 test -- not always an accurate reading as a positive result can be indicative of other things. My CA 125 is 10 so the doc feels that that is good BUT it's not a perfect test and there have been false negatives. HTH
Unread 05-26-2004, 04:23 PM

Hi,

Ovarian cysts don't have to be malignant. Mine was proof of that! They ran all sorts of scans and sonograms and tests on me and still weren't sure what the outcome would be until they opened me up (in fact, the ER doctor informed me point blank that I had cancer and my GP was already making plans for chemo after surgery!) My surgeon was wonderful and told me we'd have two plans of action--one if it was benign and another if it was malignant. She thought the odds were that it would be benign but couldn't guarantee it until she operated. So, while this IS scary, try to take courage--often these tests are to cover the doctors involved.

Good luck on everything. I wish you well.

Annie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register