Pain After Sitting For Periods Of Time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain After Sitting For Periods Of Time Pain After Sitting For Periods Of Time

Unread 05-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Pain After Sitting For Periods Of Time

My surgery was May 2002 and I have been having pain ever since. This pain is non-existant in the morning, but after sitting at my desk at work, by mid-afternoon, I have the dull pain again. The only way to the pain goes away is to stand up or lie down for a period of time. The pain is on both sides of my pelvic area. It is not a sharp pain, more of a discomfort, making me squirm around in my seat.

At my six week checkup, I complained about it and was given inflamatory medicine and was told that I might have to have a type of surgery again to see what the problem was. Fearing surgery, I took the medicine, which did no good and suffered through the pain. At my annual checkup, I again complained about the pain and have since been to a plastic surgeon, pain clinic, physical therapist, had a CAT scan and xray of my pelvic area, all of which have not helped. Last week I went for an MRI of the pelvic area but am awaiting results.

Has anyone else experienced this? My doctor says he has never heard of this, but is really trying to diagnose the pain by any other method than surgery again. I had the hysterectomy because of a "few days a month pain" and now I'm having an "every day discomfort".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2004, 03:51 PM

Daisy, I am only 4 weeks and few days post op and thought I was doing okay in the pain when sitting area. I was having these weird poking sensations but thank goodness they went away a few days ago. Last night I started to get the same thing you are describing, though I am chalking it up to it being my first day back to work and sitting all day for 8 hours -- stupid of me since I was working from home--I could have lied down or got up and walked around a bit. I also walked further yesterday than any other day during my recovery.

I plan to ask my doctor about this next week when I go for my first post-op exam. If he provides any enlightening news on the subject, I'll pass it along to you. Does Advil seem to help at all?
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:57 AM

Nothing has helped so far. My doctor put me on Aleve (2 pills, 2 times a day) for 2 weeks. That did nothing. I will be very curious to hear what your doctor says.

Quote:
Originally posted by Banker1219
Daisy, I am only 4 weeks and few days post op and thought I was doing okay in the pain when sitting area. I was having these weird poking sensations but thank goodness they went away a few days ago. Last night I started to get the same thing you are describing, though I am chalking it up to it being my first day back to work and sitting all day for 8 hours -- stupid of me since I was working from home--I could have lied down or got up and walked around a bit. I also walked further yesterday than any other day during my recovery.

I plan to ask my doctor about this next week when I go for my first post-op exam. If he provides any enlightening news on the subject, I'll pass it along to you. Does Advil seem to help at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2004, 07:12 AM

I am sorry to hear that you are still having pain 2 years after surgery.

Hopefully the MRI will show something - if not you may want to get another doctor's opinion on your situation.

I'm sending s!
Unread 05-26-2004, 08:00 AM
Chronic Pain

Hi Daisy0813. I'm a new hystersister and I have a similar problem. After healing from my hyster, I developed a constant pain also. The difference is, mine was literally a pain in the butt. It wasn't a sharp pain, it was a constant dull ache and throbbing that I felt deep within my rectum and sometimes in my lower back. After seeing my gyn who referred me to a gastroenterologist who referred me to a colon and rectal dr., I was diagnosed with Levator Muscle Spasms. Apparently this was not caused by the hyster, unless something went wrong during the surgery that I'm not aware of, (although the surgeon who performed the hyster wouldn't admit it if it had). Anyway, I joined hystersisters to find out if anyone else had experienced this problem. After posting my question, I received a couple of answers which were very helpful. One other person experienced a similar chronic pain. She directed me to a link that helped explain Levator Muscle Spasms as well as another condition which is sometimes mis-diagnosed as Levator Muscle Spasms. The reason I am telling you this is because with the other condition called Pudendal Nerve Entrapment (PNE), sometimes the pain is felt in the lower pelvic and vaginal areas. Also, this is a condition that can be painful when sittiing and is alleviated by standing. Its a condition that appears to happen to who ride bicycles often and people who have jobs that require sitting for long periods of time. The Levator muscle is located in the floor of the pelvis. It is connected to a muscle in the rectum that assists in bowel movement. The Pudendal nerve is also in this area. Entrapment of this nerve and spasms of the levator muscle can cause constant, sometimes excruciating pain in the lower rectal, pelvis and vaginal regions of the body. I have suffered with the rectal pain and sometimes vaginal pain for the last two years. I was put on pain medicine (Ketorolac) which helps but no one wants to take pain medicine everyday of their lives. The pain lets up and even goes away for a few days, on occasion, but it always comes back. When in I'm in pain, sitting is even more of a discomfort. If you go to WebMD.com and put in PNE and Levator Syndrome, you will get some valuable information on these conditions. You can compare you symptoms with those described by other sufferers and maybe have your dr. examine you for any one of these conditions. Good luck and check it out.
Unread 05-26-2004, 11:51 AM

Just have a look at the PNE website, <snipped link to The International Pudendal Neuropathy Association's (TIPNA) website: link has been added to Resourse Database https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/link.php?s=>
It certainly does sound like you should be evaluated for PNE, and the fact is that we have a lot of ladies on the site who got theirs as a result of a hyster. Personally I don't believe that the medical industry understands female pelvic nerves all that well, and the Berman sisters agree. But there is help for this problem and lots of us are getting that help.
Unread 05-27-2004, 09:32 AM

Hi Daisy0813
Celeste is right. You really should check out the PN site to see if anything makes sense to you.
I have just been dx with Pudendal Neuralgia. Not to alarm you but they say if treated early there is a chance of better outcome.
Brenda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register