Colonoscopy results & Cancerous Polyps... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Colonoscopy results & Cancerous Polyps... Colonoscopy results & Cancerous Polyps...

Unread 05-26-2004, 10:05 PM
cancerous polyp

Hi Folks,
My colonoscopy turned up multiple polyps and one of them at about 1/2 inch was cancerous. They called it insitu. The dr. removed the polyps and sent them to the pathologist. I was worried sick for days. The dr. called tonight and said he wanted to consult with another pathologist at the Mass. Gen. Hosp. in Boston and if necessary I might need a resection of the area of the lower sigmoid where the polyp was. I cried a lot tonight dreading yet another surgery after my TAH on January 27th. I just have had enough. I also have IBS now and the pain on my left side has never gone away. They have me on clidinium and the constipation is pretty bad at times. I am worried sick I will have to have surgery. I have a sigmodiosopy tomorrow so he can "mark " the spot where the polyp was removed that tested positive. What does that mean? I should have asked him. I think he said it was necessary in case they needed to go in and do a resection? I have to do an enema prep 2 hrs. before the sigmoidosopy and 1 hr before . Not as bad as the ginger flavored drink that made me very sick to my stomach. They will sedate me he did say. All this and I am leaving on Friday night for 3 days on Martha's Vineyard for my Anniversary. Has anyone had a cancerous polyp removed and what was the procedure following it?

Thank you everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2004, 07:26 AM
Thoughts & prayers

Barbara,

I have no experience in this but just wanted to let you know that I would be thinking about you, and hoping of for the best.

I hope you can enjoy your trip for your anniversary. Sorry, I can't be of any help.

Best wishes and thoughts and prayers your way.

Unread 05-28-2004, 07:55 AM
Colonoscopy results & Cancerous Polyps...

s Barbara

I know this was not the news you were expecting, but thank God you had the colonoscopy done at this time. It sounds as though you stopped a cancer at an early survivable point in time.
Even if you need to have your colon resected, something deadly may have been prevented.
Everyone over 50 yrs old should get one done. I hope your story encourages many ladies to get this life saving test scheduled.
Try your best to enjoy the special weekend.
It sounds like your doctor is taking excellent care.
Best wishes.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2004, 09:45 AM

Hi Barbara,

Colonoscopies are definitely not fun, but can be life saving and it is sounds is if your cancer was caught at a very treatable stage.
I did not have colon polyps, but because my tumor was between the vagina and rectum, I had 6 1/2 inches of my colon removed and resected during my hyst. I had a temporary colostomy which was reversed last summer. If the section to be removed is higher up than a colostomy is not necessary. These type of resections are done not only for cancer, but sometimes for other digestive diseases and most people recover very quicly, much faster than after the hyst . It is a bummer that you have to undergo another surgery, but perhaps this resection will not only get rid of cancer, but improve your IBS too.
Unread 05-28-2004, 11:50 AM

Hi, Barbara. I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with all this now. A colongoscopy is next on my list! I'm not yet 50 but with everything else (certainly with a family history of colon cancer and my own ovarian/uterine cancer), I'm not going to bother waiting.

My mother recently went for her (first) colonoscopy and they found two polyps. Not yet cancer, but they told her "you're in the club, now" and will want to see her every few years to monitor anything else that might be growing.

As Roseann Roseannadanna used to say, "It's always something. If it's not one thing, it's another!" Ain't that the truth?!

It's great, though, that you were following through on your own medical care. Kudos!

BTW, hope Martha's Vineyard is great!
Unread 05-28-2004, 12:08 PM

Hi Barbara,

7 years ago (I was 36 at the time), I went to the Dr. because I had been seeing blood in my stool over a period of time. He did a sigmoidoscopy where he saw very suspicious polyps. It was followed with a colonoscopy where it was confirmed that the polyps were cancerous. Talk about a shock!

I had a colon re-section done. Although the cancer found was very low, they were able to successfully get clean margins with enough left to do the resection (by the skin of my teeth). It was scary, but thankfully everything turned out great.

The recuperation was identical to my hysterectomy. Like the hyst. they had to cut through stomach muscles. I was back at work within 5 weeks and the cancer had not spread beyond the sub-mucosa layer, so no adjuvant therapy was needed.

If you did well recovering from your hyst. you will do well with the resection. The worst part of the whole surgery was the prep (gallon of go-lightly and heavy antibiotics).

It turns out that I also had a family history of colon cancer. I didn't know it at first. My great grandfather had colon cancer as did his brother. My grandmother's brother and sister also had it.

Good luck with everything. The surgery is very doable and you will be fine. For me everything is in working order. While I'm thinking about it, I have to call for my colonoscopy!
Unread 05-31-2004, 09:45 PM
four stages of colon cancer

Hi: It sounds like you are very lucky. There are four stages of colon cancer. They call the four stages "Dukes" levels. Don't ask me why.
#1 is insitu. That means within the inside wall of the colon. This level of cancer is very very curable. The exact percentages escape me, but it's something like 89 to 98 percent curable if caught insitu.
#2 is when the cancer cells have invaded the colon wall
#3 is when the cancer cells have gone through the colon wall
#4 is metastatis when the cancer has gone to the colon.

It sounds like they are keeping a very close eye on you. My gastroenterologist told me that if you get a colonoscopy every five years it is virtually impossible to die of colon cancer.
I love getting a colonoscopy. I hate drinking the gunk, but I love getting the drug verced. I spend the rest of the day just feeling so dreamy. Good luck, Sharon
Unread 06-02-2004, 10:10 AM

I had one about that size removed when I was 34. This was Stage 0, carcinoma in situ. There was no necessary followup for it, since the cancer was in the polyp, and had not spread down the stalk into the walls. You may want to get ahold of your pathology report and review it with your doctor.

After six years, I have had no recurrence of polyps. I now take daily aspirin and follow a mostly organic diet which includes meats with no hormones, antibiotics, or nitrites.

The good news is that you have saved your own life, now that you know, you will not die of this, and it's an inspiration to make healthy lifestyle changes.

Here's a link to the National Cancer Institute's page on colon cancer --> http://www.nci.nih.gov/cancerinfo/pd...colon/patient/

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register