Cin III | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Cin III

Hi, i was just recentally told that i have Cin III (severe dysplasia) i didn't even know what his was until now, but here is the thing it has been three years since i had a pap it was normal but now it is severe which is my own fault for not going for check ups like i was supposed to, i guess i really didn't realize how common this is..My gyn has been very helpful, i go 06/18 for a LEEP procedure, originally when i had my pap it came back moderate dysplasia, then i went for my colposcopy and biopsy and when she was viewing my cervix she said it didn't look that bad but the biopsy came back as severe, I am really concerned that maybe this has been there for a while and it may have already spread to cancer. my question is would there be any signs if it had already past severe? i have always had normal mentral cycles and nothing out of the ordinary but i know that doesn't always mean anything, my doctor didn't seem very worried...i'm scared my LEEP is going to show there is cancer..anyone else been through this?? I'm worried i'm supposed to be getting married in oct and i'm so scared i will not be able to have kids, i do not currently have any children but my fiance and I want to start a family..am i over reacting??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Cin III

Been in your shoes and its frightening. Nothing anyone says is gonna eliminate your fear but maybe a little perspective will beat it back down to a level where you don't feel like you're gonna come out of your skin.

Some basic info delivered in the form of absolute statements in a world where nothing is absolute:

HPV is the cause of dysplasia. It is estimated that most women will have come in contact with hpv at some point in their lives. Most people's immune system holds the virus in check. Some have transient mild dysplasia which usually goes away without progressing or treatment. A few will require treatment with a LEEP or cone, cryotherapy or laser. Usually one procedure is enough (90% of the time) and the dysplasia doesn't come back. And even if it does come back another treatment usually fixes it. The odds are with you on this one. Unfortunately true invasive cervical cancer (and you are most likely a long way off that) has few symptoms so you can't sit and wait for your body to bring it to your attention.

I totally understand your concerns about planning a family. Even though I ended up having a hyst. I was able to pop out two kids in the 6 years between finding out I had a problem and having surgery. One laser and 2 leeps didn't impact my fertility or ability to carry a pregnancy to term. Of course that's a discussion for you and your doctor but I just want to provide some reassurance.

Stop beating yourself for missing your paps. Stop it now!! And don't miss again. One can never take it for granted that even successfully treated hpv won't rear its mean little head again.

Finally please don't let the fear of the cancer you probably don't even have take away all the pleasure from the good things life is offering you this day. Don't waste the gift.

Finally, finally. Read all the posts you can find from someone named Jeanine on the subject of dysplasia. I've found her messages to be accurate, her perspective to be balanced and her spirit to be unfailingly kind and supportive.

All the best and know this Sister is walkin' with you. Ziggystardust
Unread 05-28-2004, 08:10 AM
Cin III

Me too, been there done that.

I've always been faithfull getting my yearly paps but my doc found CINIII after a ablation (for severe bleeding). I remember thinking "OMG, I've got cancer". I was a basket case for months. My doc did a conization since I've already had all my babies and he was able to remove it all. A lot of women go through this, very few end up with cancer. Just remember when you do your research and read this site that the women on this board are here because they do have medical problems and need support, those that are in the clear don't need to come here anymore and often don't.

Did that make any sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Cin III

Thanks Ziggy you have made me feel a whole lot better about the procedure..and i do consider myself to be blessed that i have had pretty good health so far, I have read many of the stories from different women and my problem seems so minor compared to what they have had to go through..Sometimes what you don't know can be scary. thanks for your kind words!!
Unread 05-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Cin III

(((Worried)))

Welcome to Hystersisters ! We're so glad you found us!

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this at this time in your life. Planning for a wedding can be stressful enough without adding this on top of it!

Ziggystardust gave you some good info above. It's normal and natural to be worried. You're talking about your female parts and your future fertility possibilities as well as your general health. These are huge emotional topics for us as women. But it's important to keep breathing. As stated above, 80-90% of women are considered cured from dysplasia with a LEEP or cone. If you had your biopsy recently, then most likely it has not progressed to cancer yet, but you're right, there's always that remote chance. But even some very-early stage cancers can be treated easily without a hysterectomy, thereby preserving your fertility.

The truth is, you just aren't going to know until you've had your LEEP and the pathology report is back. Until then, know that you are in my thoughts and 'ers. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

One thing you might consider at this point is maximizing your immune function. Some women seem to have great immune systems that just fight this dysplasia off. Others of us are not so lucky, and need to work on it a little harder. Eat well. Take a multivitamin (there is some evidence that folic acid may help us fight off dysplasia). Get plenty of sleep. Exercise moderately. Pray/meditate/do yoga. All of these things are believed to contribute to a healthy immune system. And, of course, remember to keep close to your doctor and have your follow-ups as scheduled. My doc always had me come in for a PAP every 3 months for 2 years after my procedures.

Good luck! Please let us know if you have any more questions that we can answer or if you just need more 's!
Unread 06-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Cin III

Thanks so much and i have done a lot of research and i did start taking a mulitivitamin, i will keep you updated, I'm having the LEEP done on june 18th and i should know if all margins are clear on that following tue. thanks so much for everyones kinds words and helpful information, i have a really good feeling everything is going to work out fine..thanks!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register