Gallbladder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Gallbladder

Hi

I am new to this forum i had my hystertomy 1 year ago, lately i havenlt been feeling so well, i have had severe abdominal pains on my upper right side it radiates towards my back, and it seems to get worse after I eat. I have a bd feeling that its my gallbladder, Do these symptoms sound like its my gallbladder? Has anyone else had Gallbladder problems?

Thank You

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Gallbladder

Hi Susan,

If you are experiencing new discomfort it would be a good idea to give your doctor a call - they should examine you to determine what may be causing the problem. Let us know what you find out.

Unread 05-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Had my Gall Bladder out this past Nov.

The pain sounds familiar. I tried Gas-Ex and several over the counter meds with no relief it got so bad I went to the ER. They confirmed that I had gall stones with an ultrasound and CT scan, they said I would have to have surgery. I went home and called my reg Dr. the next day and he said that he would get the reports and call me back the next day). I read on the internet about a home remedy (olive oil and lemon juice - YUCK!) I tried it and it cleared me out, but didn't eliminate the stones. I told my physician what I had tried - he laughed and told me when I had another attack to call. I did, but it was several months later. They did a scan and found that the stones were obstructing the pancrease and I was really sick. I think you should follow-up with your physician, my pain was bad and also presented 1 hour or so after I ate. I found out too late that some of the meds I was taking added to the development of gall stones (Tricor, Premarin and Synthroid) are you on any meds. They say the rule of thumb is FAT, 40, FEMALE & FERTILE. My neice was 19 and ultra thin when she had hers out and my Brother-In-Law was in his 30's and not over weight. The surgeon that did my surgery said that a lot of times they find gall stones that are not symptomatic in people that a Biliary Scan (sp) shows function and should be used to diagnose if surgery is necessary. Hope this helps! I am doing fine have not had any side-affects. Sorry your having pain. Don't try the self-help routine call the pros!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Gallbladder

Susan, that sounds exactly like my symptoms last summer. I am sorry you're experiencing the pain. I found my acute attack to be excruciating. I was in so much pain I could barely speak - and I was terrified I was having a heart attack or something! My gallbladder was at particular risk as I've lost 140 pounds - and weight loss often precipitates gallbladder issues.

Now on to the good news! I have had a number of surgeries in my life and the gallbladder was a BREEZE! Find a great lap surgeon. It was absolutely nothing, I swear. I know your mileage may vary... but I don't even think I had a dose of pain meds after the first couple hours postop. I had a little scare in the recovery room thinking I was having a heart attack - it was just the gas, of course. I went home a few hours later and didn't even need to fill the pain med rx.

Keep us posted!
Unread 05-28-2004, 11:56 PM
Gallbladder

Susan,

The good news is, I would bet a million dollars your pain is your gallbladder. The bad news is, how long will it take the doctor to figure it out.

I had surgery in Nov, 2002 and have had upper abdominal pain 2 weeks post op, belching, and extreme heartburn ever since. I have had every test including: ultrasound, endoscopy, Hida Scan, and Cat Scan and thus far I show no stones. The surgeon says most likely I have adhesions, but it can only be found during surgery. I go to the surgeon on Tuesday and find out if something was found on the Cat Scan or to schedule surgery. Dr. told me last time that mostly likely I am going to have to have my gallbladder out. Once that happens I will post my recovery to tell everyone if the surgery made a difference.

Until then, complain, complain, and complain until every test is done to find out what is wrong with you.

Good luck!
Unread 05-31-2004, 07:40 PM
Gallbladder

Hey

thanks for replying unfortuntely it looks like its my gallbladder, i have a a dr.'s appt tomorow, so i will let you know what happens.

Thanks

Susan
Unread 06-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Gallbladder

I had my hysterectomy in april 2002 then had to have gall bladder removed in feb 2003 woke up one night with SEVERE tummy pains uder my right rib cage- got upset after eating certain things-
thoses things are better however it would be nice IF they would tell ppl you still may have pains after wards too
ITS not a CURE all for sure
Unread 06-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Gallbladder

I just wanted to let you know my update. Again, I had an ultra sound, blood work, endoscopy, hidta scan, and cat scan and all came back positive but am still have gallbladder surgery on 07-19-04. Normally I would have the surgery sooner but can't do to getting the time off.

Anyway, doctor says the gallbladder surgery may not do anything but I could be the small percentage that has all postive test but is relieved of pain from gallbladder surgery. I told the doctor that my OBGYN said I had nothing wrong with me until he opened me up for my hysterectomy and found severe endometriosis and adenomyosis. I told him I was right about that and I believe I am right about this too.

I guess I could not have the surgery and allow him to go in and do a laprascopy to find out what is wrong, but since surgery is not my favorite thing I told him to remove the gallbladder once and for all as well as any other organ I don't need.

Wish me luck in July.
Unread 06-02-2004, 08:46 PM
wow

I came today just to see if there were any posts about just this subject. Seems I need to have my Gallbladder removed also. My symptoms seem to be different tho...

I can go days with no problems....eat anything I want ( low carb for me! ) then I start with feeling like a lead ball is in my tummy and I feel HUNGRY!! So I eat....but then the lead gets heavier. this goes on for a day and by the next day I'm barfing everything I ate for the past two days. I sat in the bathroom for 3 hours a few weeks ago hugging the bowl. Now it happens 2-3 times a week I go thru this. Only once or twice have I felt this pain ya'll talk about in the rib cage....but I have felt it barely.

I had an ultra-sound done several weeks ago and no stones were there but the wall of the gallbladder was weak they said and it appeared to have polyps. I also found out that based on how many abdominal surgeries you have had this may not be able to be done by lap or by the tiny smaller incisions that so many get to have. This worries me extremely!!! I am not a good canadite for this surgery...so I put it off.

wonder how long I can do THAT?

Dawn
Unread 06-04-2004, 08:08 PM
just had mine out!

Hi Ladies,
I had my hyst in Feb 03 and suffered multiple complications, and so on.
By July of 03 I began having sporadic episodes of pain that doubled me over and was different then the "usual" pains I had and had lived with for so long ( and still do to some degree).
Anyhow, I chose to ignore the pains as best as I could after I mentioned it to my husband ( a paramedic) because I thought I was having a heart attack. He told me I was not having a heart attack and so I just suffered, and suffered and got sicker and sicker. In Feb of this year I couldn't take it I was so ill in such pain and went to the Dr. who sent me to the emerg. I spent Valentine's Day having tests and was told on the 15th that I had to have the darn thing out right away as my liver was being affected and in good old Canada I waited for the surgeons office to call with an appt. I had to be referred to a different surgeon and have it done in partner with my gyn, since we felt there was some adhesion that had to come out and there was some concerns about some lower left quad pain that was unresolved.
Well they called and gave me May the 10 for a consult.
I ended up getting surgery bumped up due to how sick I became, and had my gallbladder successfully removed on April 5th. I too was "not a good canidate" for a lap removal due to having had over 16 abdominal surgeries in the last 14 yrs. I'm happy to say they complete the surgery by lap and I have healed quite nicely, with only a few complications. By comparison the gallbladder surgery was a walk in the park vs the hyst.
My advice to all and I need to learn to take it myself
Don't wait to seek help
If something doesn't feel right- get help and keep looking for it till you get it!
Best of Luck to all
Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register