small chnce of cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

small chnce of cancer small chnce of cancer

Unread 05-29-2004, 09:42 AM
small chnce of cancer

I am 28 and have 2 children, both by c-sections, and after my last child, the doctor clamped my tubes, because I was done with having my children. It seemed shortly after my second child I started having the problems with very heavy bleeding and very painful cramping, especially after my period was over. Well it has been 3 years of the doctors thinking it was uterine fibroids, but evey ultrsound was clean, then this new doctor gave me the diagnosis od Adenomyosis, a very large uterus. She also mentioned that there may be a 1-2% chance it may be cancer of the uterus, which they will send to pathology after the hysterectomy. Have any of you had this diagnosis, and had it actually turn out to be cancerous?? I am just concerned, and so is she that I am having heavy bleeding and the pain at such a young age. Thanks for any info..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2004, 12:25 PM
small chnce of cancer

Hi Hannah,

I do not have your symptoms, but others will be along soon who know more about adenomyosis. Try not to worry as yoy wait for the results. a 1 - 2 % chance of cancer is 98- 99% against cancer!
Unread 05-29-2004, 03:51 PM
small chnce of cancer

You should consider asking for a consult with a gyn/onc about the slight possibility of a cancer dx.....A gyn/onc will take lymphnode samples during surgery in the event that the pathology shows any cancer. There have been ladies on this board that have had to go back into surgery for lymphnode sampling after the path report from their hyst showed cancer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2004, 04:23 PM
small chnce of cancer

Adenomyosis is not infrequent after tubal ligation. The problem is that it's tricky to diagnose until the actual pathology; since the infiltration of endometrial tissue into the muscle wall can be microscopic, sometimes not even an MRI can diagnose adeno.

I've never seen a percentage of uterine cancer in your age group; thickening of the uterine lining can be hyperplasia (overgrowth), adeno, or cancer. Have you asked about a hysteroscopy, a D & C, and/or uterine biopsy? These may yield more of a clue as to what is going on; if it is hyperplasia, there are hormonal treatments that can be tried, such as a Mirena coil. A hysteroscopy may also help them visualize the area better, and adeno can sometimes be seen by that method. A D & C can, in itself, help limit abnormal bleeding, at least for a time.

But I'd put my on adeno. It's very common in someone with the combined history of tubal ligation and c-section, and ablation or embolization are NOT effective, unfortunately. Many doctors will wait until you're dealing with anemia to consider a hysterectomy, although if a D & C or biopsy should show cancer, then it's not an option, obviously . Is your new GYN an oncologist? If cancer IS a factor, like all my :friends: around here say, "make sure that it's an oncologist performing your surgery." The outcomes ARE better in the oncologists' hands.

Good luck with all this. I had severe adeno and it's no fun ...

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register