?? TVH w/posterior repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

?? TVH w/posterior repair ?? TVH w/posterior repair

Unread 05-31-2004, 09:23 AM
?? TVH w/posterior repair

This Thursday I will be having a TVH with posterior repair. I have been postponing having a hysterectomy for 19 years. I have had polyps, large fibroids, probably adenomyosis, and for the past 9 years my periods have controlled my life.

When my doctor told me yet again that I really should have a hysterectomy, I decided to stop fighting it, get it over with, and hopefully start getting some enjoyment out of life instead of just suffering through it with this debilitating pain and constant bleeding.

The doctor is mostly sure he can do a TVH, although he did say he might have to do the TAH, he won't know until we are in the OR.

He also said I need some posterior repair. He just casually mentioned it, and almost made it sound like it is up to me?? I guess now that I've thought about it, I don't really know what that is. It seems from posts I've read here, it would just add to the pain and recovery time. However, I have had 3 children by vaginal birth, and one of my babies was 10 1/2 pounds and did some pretty good damage. I have noticed a problem with urine leaking when I run or jump rope.

Just what does this procedure entail, and is it really painful? Will it solve the leaking problem? I see my dr. the day before the surgery, so if anyone has suggestions for what I should ask him about the posterior repair I would be grateful.

Thank you all. I'm so glad to have found you!

Connie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2004, 10:08 AM

Connie, not sure of what all the posterior repairs will entail and only your doctor can tell you what he plans on doing. So I would definetly ask him what his plan is for you on the 3rd besides the hyst.

I had my TVH 5 days ago and it was a breeze. I was nervous going into surgery, no problem. They make it so easy for you now as far as giving you medication to calm you down prior to and keeping your pain at bay while coming out of recovery.

I was on the moriphine drip for less than 24 hours and only took one pain pill since being home. Since day three I have been doing light housework and walking up and down my block. Not over doing it, but certainly not helpless by any means. Pain has been non-existent other than when I laugh. Certainly a vagional hyst is much easier than what I've read of those having had abdominal.

I too had uterine leaks as you described. Hopefully those are now under control since the hyst. I'm hoping they were an issue due to the possible crowding and pressure being placed on the bladder due to enlarged uterus, etc.

The posterior repair may throw you off a bit, but you'll be kicking yourself wondering why you didn't do the hyst years ago! Good Luck, let us know how it goes.
Unread 05-31-2004, 03:59 PM

I am eight weeks post-op for TVH with A&P (anterior and posterior) repair. I can honestly say that the TVH was a breeze. The only problem i have is that i am still not able to have sex because i still have some stitches that haven't disolved.

As far as the A&P, It was verrrrry painful. The Posterior was the worst. pm me and i will explain more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2004, 04:27 PM

Connie,
I had TVH/A&P repair/bladder sling almost 4 weeks ago and my recovery has been virtually pain-free. I've been surprised at how easy it has been.
I get cramps and little shooting pains and discomfort but haven't had to take pain pills since one week post-op.
I hope that is your experience as well! Let me know if there's anything else you are curious about.

Kathy
Unread 05-31-2004, 06:39 PM

The posterior repair was not a problem for me. With everything else done, I didn't even really notice that I had surgery in that area. Oh, except for by entire bottom being black and blue for a few days! My surgeon instructed me to take a stool softener (Colace or Ducolux are the common ones). Post surgery gas is a problem for most everyone, posterior repairs or not. Have some Gas-X on hand after the surgery for that problem. Also, I found Citrucel helpful to keep things moving - don't use Metamucil-types because they cause more gas.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register