A strange question... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A strange question... A strange question...

Unread 05-31-2004, 10:50 AM
A strange question...

Hey Sisters,

I've been doing something a little odd in my sleep lately...I get up in the middle of the night to go to the Loo, and actually fall asleep while on the throne Another strange thing is that every single time I do this (and once I wake up) my left leg it totally and completely asleep to the point that when I get up to go back to bed (sorry for the graphics lol) I am bouncing off the bathroom walls because I can't feel my leg. Luckily, I've made it back every time without hurting myself. This is happening to me approx 5 nights a week...

I know this is a silly question, but it has made me curious to see if any of my other sisters have experienced this. Do you think it is related to the Fibro? I will mention this on my next Dr's visit, as I don't think it warrants a call / visit...

My arms always 'fall asleep' (when I am in bed) - the painful kind...and I've always blamed it on the FMS. Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2004, 12:49 PM
A strange question...

Hey Jude, as usual we are quite the pair

I don't fall asleep on the loo, but my legs do, this is any time of day.....or sometimes when I'm sitting at my desk at work it happens too.....who knows why it would be interesting to find out!

Hang in there and be careful
Unread 05-31-2004, 03:57 PM
A strange question...

((((Judy))))
While I don't fall asleep on the loo, I have had a problem with various parts of my body falling asleep. I've had bouts with my arms at night. It seems to come and go, it'll happen alot and than suddenly it will stop. Just when I forget about it, it starts happening again.

My legs seem to fall asleep easier than usual. For example, right now I'm sitting here with my legs crossed and the leg that is receiving all the weight is now starting to fall asleep. Guess I'd better uncross them. It is getting annoying as I'm not sure what the heck is going on.

Sorry I haven't been much help my friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2004, 07:25 PM
A strange question...

(((Jude)))) You know that you can ask anything... and find others who understand

While I rarely fall asleep on the loo (only when I refuse to open my eyes and wake up, in an attempt to ward off the resulting insomnia), my legs and my arms tend to fall asleep... a lot. And, lately, I've also noticed that my shoulder blades will fall asleep and then wake up with that annoying tingly feeling that won't go away.

I must say that, because it's kind of always been there, I never bothered to ask what may be the cause. Might be insteresting to know why this is happening
Unread 06-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Thanks for your replies ((((((Sisters))))))

I just thought I'd throw it out here because it has been bothering me. This is all fairly new to me because I never used to get up in the night to use the bathroom...and having the same leg go to sleep seems pretty odd. Perhaps it is time for another sleep study?

I also deal with the tingling sensations...certain limbs falling asleep during the daytime. The docs always blamed that on the FM, so I never thought much about it. Another strange thing is that while my arms have done this for several years (fall asleep) it is painful now - kind of hard to describe. But, before I get the pins and needles (when you know they are going to wake up) there is a deep pain - even though they are asleep I can feel it. How bizarre

Thanks sisters...
Unread 06-02-2004, 07:43 AM
A strange question...

Oh my goodness! I have this problems too. Not the falling asleep on the loo part, but the arms and legs falling painfully asleep. It happened much more frequently in my upper body when I was dealing with a pinched nerve. I would even have large areas of my back feel that way. If any of you do find out why this occurs please share.........
Unread 06-02-2004, 08:10 PM
I do!!

Hey Jude!

I fall asleep on the loo!!! and my right leg is always the one that falls asleep. I don't doze long ( I hope!) and I've learned to stretch my leg and shift while still seated in order to not hit the wall on my way out.

I haven't like you done this 5 days a week but it happens enough that I've sorta taken it as a "sheesh is this what getting old is like" explanation. I don't have problems with my arms while sleeping but I do while sitting at a desk or table....either one I never know and when I get up and walk around for a min or so it stops for awhile. I attrubute that to the RA, thought it was a symptom of that.

I came tonight for other reasons and saw your post...just had to let you know it happens to another one to!!

to all!!
Dawn
Unread 06-03-2004, 06:04 AM
A strange question...

I saw your name and came to give big hugs.

I found this site on things falling asleep--

http://www.ehendrick.org/healthy/000977.htm

Since it's caused by nerve compression and signals getting confused in nerves, and they mention some autoimmune things, yeah, I bet it's made worse by FMS.

But I dimly remember that getting good levels of vitamin B helps with FMS and I see that it affects this too, so making sure you're getting enough might help.

In any case, you aren't nuts! I almost fell asleep on the loo last night and I don't have FMS.
Unread 06-03-2004, 04:52 PM
A strange question...

(((Trish)))
Thanks so much for the helpful info! Interesting about the Vitamin B, particularly the B-12 as I have been deficient in the past. I see the Osteo doc tomorrow, think I'll run that by her.

Thanks again my friend, you are appreciated.
Unread 06-05-2004, 11:09 AM
A strange question...

((((((((((Trish))))))))))

Thanks so much dear friend - for the S and the great info! I will stock up on the B for sure.

I wonder if my left leg it reacting to some trouble I am having with my right one?! At times I can barely walk as my foot (and now my calf) are in extreme pain. The docs blame it on the Fibro, and at this point I'm going to need a cane

Thanks again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register