Anyone have colonoscopy after hyst? I'm scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have colonoscopy after hyst?  I'm scared Anyone have colonoscopy after hyst? I'm scared

Unread 05-31-2004, 01:24 PM
Anyone have colonoscopy after hyst? I'm scared

Ok, dumb thing to worry about but I am scared to death of the colonoscopy I am having next week. I still feel like I'm healing inside - more scared of the fleet phospho- soda stuff. Anyone have this BEFORE surgery? I lucked out and didn't have to have a bowel cleansing but am nervous about clear liquids all day and then taking that stuff? How sick will I be - can't be more difficult than a hyst!!! ha ha Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2004, 04:18 PM

Hi, Kat -

I am still Pre-Op and am having a colonoscopy next week as well. It's Thursday (actually THIS week - the 3rd). I DO know that they use the "twilight" sleep on you, so I guess I'm not too concerned about the pain, but I can understand your concerns being Post-Op (although it has been over a year, yes?).

I had a sigmoidoscopy last week, and it was pretty uncomfortable - umm painful. However, I was awake with no pain meds (hadn't even taken a Vicodin that morning - dumbdumbdumb). I think most of my pain was from adhesions, and the fact that there just isn't any more room in my abdominal cavity for ANYTHING more! Can't wait for my turn to be a Princess!

If your test is after mine, I can let you know how mine went when I come home. You might want to talk to your gyn as well about your concerns.

Esme
Unread 05-31-2004, 05:24 PM

The worst part of a colonoscopy is the prep. That stuff you have to drink will give you diarrhea .. you will be SO cleaned out. My advice for that is to splurge and buy the lotioned t/p .. the t/p with aloe vera is the best. Your little bum will get sore.
But the colonoscopy itself is a breeze .. they give you twilight sleep and you won't feel a thing. And when I "woke up" I didn't have any discomfort at all .. and the best thing is you can eat whatever you want when you get home!
I was SOOO nervous before my colonoscopy but aside from the prep, it was a piece of cake.

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2004, 05:36 PM

Hey, don't be scared. I too had the "butt scope" (as I like to refer to it) but I had mine several years before my hysterectomy.

My only advice is to sip gatoraide all night, you've got to keep your fluids up or you could run into some problems.

The nasty soda stuff sure cleans you out so just be sure and keep your fluid intake up especially since you've just had your other surgery and are probably still week from that.

I cannot stress the fluids enough, so be sure and have them handy.

And, don't worry, it doesn't hurt, you feel happy and drugged and it's over in no time.

If you opt out of the scope you can always go and have an electron CT scan and it will show everything, no drinking dyes, it's only a 4 minute test, but most ins. does not pay for it.

You can visit www.imatron.com and type in your location to find out where the nearest machine is.

Good luck!
Unread 05-31-2004, 06:01 PM

Speaking of lotion TP - that's a good idea BTW, being a veteran of 2 bowel preps in the last 4 weeks, I also ended up putting a bit of polysporin on a bit of TP and wiping it on each time I went - which got a little tiring, since you're always going. But, it did help with the burning.

Esme
Unread 05-31-2004, 06:48 PM

i completely agree with kathy. i loved my colonoscopy except for the prep. i felt great during and afterwards. and i found the prep much easier than the prep for the hyst, for the hyst, i had to do an enema too.
Unread 05-31-2004, 07:46 PM

I had a colonoscopy when I was about ten weeks post vaginal hyst. The colonoscopy itself was nothing... I was given Versed, which is a wonderful thing because it made me very relaxed (but still vaguely aware of everything going on). I had absolutely no pain.

I have done the Fleet Phospho Soda prep several times, including for the colonoscopy. Yes, it dehydrates you and gives you diarrhea and the main side effect is your bottom could feel like it's on fire . I've found the two most helpful things to keep handy when you're doing the prep are a squirt bottle of water to rinse your bottom with so you can just use the TP to pat dry (I use a bidet) and Fleet Pain Relief Wipes from the drugstore (much more effective at soothing the burn than Tucks or Preparation H wipes).

Good luck with your colonoscopy, I hope they find out that everything's fine in there!
s,
-Linda
Unread 05-31-2004, 07:54 PM

Thanks so much ladies! I like the squirt bottle idea!! I do so much appreciate all the info - if I can get through a hyst, I can certainly get through this!!! I'm just a little gunshy in that area...
Unread 06-01-2004, 08:32 PM

Hi Kathy- the prep is definitely the worst part. I had mine 4 days before my surgery so I did back to back bowel preps!!! The fleet wipes or Tucks wipes really help with the burning from going so much. I work for a gastroenterologist and we tell patients to mix the fleet phosphosoda in a cold glass of clear soda-7up, sprite ect- it makes it much more palitable.- you can drink it all at once or sip it. Everyone is different it can take as little as 15 min to start working or several hours. DRINK, DRINK, DRINK lots of liquids it helps everything move out faster and easier. You will be medicated for the test- you shouldn't feel anything and it takes only 10-15 min-good luck anne
Unread 06-01-2004, 10:15 PM

Thank you Anne - does it make you nauseated?? I don't want to throw up!! That's what I'm most scared of. Isn't that stupid?? I never got sick from anesthesia so I'm hoping this will be okay. It's great to hear from all you...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register