Length of hospital stay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Length of hospital stay? Length of hospital stay?

Unread 05-31-2004, 06:46 PM
Length of hospital stay?

Hi there!

Thank you for this wonderful site. It has made me feel more comfortable about having to have TAH on 6.3.04. The advice has been great.

What is the average hospital stay for TAH? My dr says it depends on how the surgery goes, from 1-3 days. Others tell me at least 3 days from their experience. I'm trying to make sure everything is in place for a smooth return from the castle. :0)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2004, 06:51 PM
Length of hospital stay?

Hospital stays vary. My doctor told me I would be in the hospital from three to five days. Thankfully, my surgery was on Friday morning, and I was allowed to leave Sunday after dinner.

I wish you the best,
Kelley
Unread 05-31-2004, 07:07 PM
Length of hospital stay?

My surgery is scheduled for a Monday morning. Dr. told me the earliest I could come home is Wednesday night or Thursday am. I am having everything taken out except the cervix, SAH/BSO I think is the abbreviation.

I know what you mean about planning for when you get home. I have been working on the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2004, 07:30 PM
Length of hospital stay?

I was in for 7 days. I went in has an an emergency patient on a Tuesday, had surgery on Thursday 5/12/04 and came home on the following Tuesday. I was in longer than usual do to complications. I had a bowel blockage and had to have a NG Tube put in. That doesn't usually happen, but I had a tumor removed that was the size of a bowling ball. Which was cuasing problems with the bowels. They were hoping that didn't happen but oh well what you going to do. I feel good now. It has been 2 weeks since my surgery. They ended up doing a total hysterectomy do to all my problems. I didn't know I even had problems until I couldn't use the bathroom. Wishing you all the best that are waiting to have surgery.
Jeanette
Unread 05-31-2004, 07:36 PM
Length of hospital stay?

Hello,

My Dr. said the average stay for a Hyst is 2-3 days (assuming everything goes well.)

Also, she usually schedules surgery for Wednesday so that when you are released on Friday - it's the weekend and most people are off.

I can SO relate about preparing for a smooth return from the castle. LOL. My surgery isn't sheduled until Sept. and I'm already stressing over having a clean house when I leave and expecting it to still be clean when I come back home.

Good Luck !!!

Love & Hugs,
Michelle
Unread 05-31-2004, 07:46 PM
Length of hospital stay?

I had a very uneventful partial abdominal hysterectomy -- that is, I just had my uterus removed. I only stayed overnight in the surgical center, and was home by 9:30 a.m. the next day! The surgery went very well, and took about an hour, according to my doctor.

Best wishes,

Lisa
Unread 05-31-2004, 08:15 PM
Length of hospital stay?

vir2usone - howdy from up the road in Santa Fe!

When I went to my pre-op, we didn't know yet whether my surgery would be a TVH or TAH. I was going in on Monday. Doc told me that if it were a TVH I'd be home Tuesday night and if it ended up TAH I'd be released on Thursday - both of these barring any complications or recovery problems.

I ended up with TAH and went home Thursday morning.

A lot is just going to depend on how you're doing with pain, catheter vs. urinating on your own, walking, gas or bm, appetite, etc.

Your doctor is basically going to check in with the nurses and see what they write in your chart about every little thing as part of the gauge of when it's time to send you home. He's already given you his range - so from there it's just going to be up to your body as to the exact release time.

Remember your lip balm - this dry NM air is tough on that after-anesthesia thirst that you'll wake up with!

We'll be waiting to hear from you when you're recovered enough to post again. Best wishes for a comfy recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register